What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2016 Down by the Bay

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sho,

With a good soil analysis you can fix most soils..... throwing stuff away and starting over is expensive when often it just takes some tweaking of what you have.

No way to do it without a soil analysis.

And realize that there is a huge dynamic in all this, it is the water. Test your ppms in your water. If there is more than 60 or 70 ppms, send it to a lab to see what is in there.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Bump

You gonna fire them up again this year sho? After a few months to think about it are you still thinking of selling or maybe talking license?

growingcrazy

If not I have 40 acres near the coast that those big clear sheds would like nice sitting on...

Just poking the bear, Hope we get a Sho in 2017.

CrushnYuba

God Damn sho. Crushing it. I have so much respect for someone doing it like that in humid Michigan. Don't give up.
As for your soil problems, they can be fixed. I have been through the same thing. Peat is very acidic and liming it right is very hard. More like takes time. Empty all of your pots into a couple small manageable piles. I suggest getting a good soil ph tester. I would also use a variety of liming agents. You can always add more lime but you can't take it out. It breaks down slow, so after you get it right you are on for a while. After you get it holding ph, you can add other bases. Running straight peat is tough. I would bulk it out with some other base media. Coco is ph neutral. Get a few yards and mix it in and get some real organic material and mix it in. Test for ph and lime it again!
Anytime I build soil with peat I test and lime twice. First the peat on its own, then the whole mix.
Man you probably have awesome real dirt there huh? Not the bs clay we got. Pm me if you need dirt help

CherokeeOutlaw

Took the last day to read both of your threads. Congrats on your success and good job w all the hard work. I have a 28'x96' double poly greenhouse and will be in my third year this year, a few hours south of you. Had 72 last 2 years but this year will be in 150's and 200's (msybe only 3/4 full) so im still undecided on my total number for this year, but im going to try to pack the canopy out pretty well with just lanes to walk (hopefully). Plants are about 1" tall now. Will be using general hydroponics chemical line in a peat klassman t4 peat cut with perlite and last years happy frog soil.

My questions are:
1. What do you (anyone with experience) think might be the minimum spacing (with training). Goal is 2-3 per.

2. I just read that you were unhappy with your klassman peat.... after i bought 150 bails last week. Lol. what did you do to lower the ph, and were you successful? Hopefully it wont matter as much because i will ph my water, but id like the soil close to 6.0 so it looks like ill be testing asap to adjust this mix before i start filling pots in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info you've contributed as i found it and the pics more helpful for this years prep than any other thread so far. I know how much work it takes to clear the land and throw up the houses and try to grow and document at the same time. Thanks guy! Hope you have a good 17 season ahead! May be the last good one before big brother digs deep on us!

growingcrazy

Cherokee,

You live in Mi... You can purchase a 40yd dump of peat if you want fairly easily. If you had interests in organics, I could be of more help.