What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hydralight claims??

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
has anyone here ever used the hydralight? the manufacturer claims that it's 150w unit will produce as many par watts .......(Photosynthetically Activated Radiation) as a 1000 watt hid. they claim it is because they channel the light directly from the 150 watt hid bulb through fiber optics which results in no loss in the intensity of the bulb at a couple inches away.

if anyone has any experience with it i'd love to hear it.
i know that they are expensive as hell, but if it works it would be worth it in electric cost alone.

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
hey mybeans...
I have heard of them and they have a discussion on OG.
To be able to put your HID light in a different room then your plants would definetly kill any heat issues. To use fiber optics to bring in natural sunlight would be sick!! I need t o look into this ......

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
well the thing that got my attention was the reference to par value. this is the true measure of a lights efficiency when it comes to a plants usable light. the qhestion i guess would be where is the proof that this 150 watter when focused through fiber optics produces as many par watts as a 1000 watter that is the normal distance from the plant.
maybe i'll call the company

piney1520

strobes

strobes

Ive heard of some research being done with strobe lights.
something to do with "light peaks" this would cut down on heat and energy costs by 90% and would totally revolutionize growing

ILL do some more checking and get back with you PINEY

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I was intersted when I first saw one, but the price somewhat turned me off. I phoned them, and they were "on sale" for $ 1200.00 CDN. The ballast is actually mounted on top of the unit, but since it's all fibre optics, it produces not heat. It is way cool as to how you can supposedly place any of the 9 light heads as close as you like to your plant.

I think a light system like this would work better for grower's that are restricted to both size and space, and only grow one of two plant's at a time.

Here is a link for everyone to see.......

<<< LINK >>>

:wave:

Last edited:

chosen

Veteran
The hydra light is a fiber optic based light. It is built from basicly what would be an amplified 150 hps. It does produce amazing result. But for the price, why wouldn't you just cool tube a 600 watt hps and save yourself about 700 bucks. What the light is doing is a really smart way of utilizing fiber optics with essentially a microscope light source amplified. It is a great idea, but until it is mass produced it's just too expensive. Yet, the same company was suppose to come out with an electronic ballast that would run hps and halide alike, but they have been having a tough time getting it out.

Latest posts

Latest posts