What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry sift Kief into hash?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Yes. Youtube shows the process of making Kief using dry ice. The finished Kief is loaded into a little cylinder shaped machine and the lid is screwed on tight. More Kief is added and squeezed again. Eventually the Kief is turned into a pellet of hash. It is not quite the same as Temple Ball hash, but it is hash. Youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC978qDrHRM is the link I saw.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
put some amounts in cigarette wrapper ,,stick in ya shoe ,, go for walk ..heat melts the trichs and forms hash

Hydro8

You could take 10%(or so) of your trim and do an alcohol extraction with that gooey tar you can mix the keif in with it and have traditional hash balls or bricks.

Cvh

Supermod
For sure you can tranform kief into hash.
The traditional method has always been to first dry sift and then PRESS it into hash.

Lots of youtube videos about it.

Here is a link with some info. At the end it has a part how to turn kief into hash.
https://www.cannabis.info/en/blog/how-to-make-hash-at-home-5-methods

Get yourself also a copy of the book 'Hashish!' by Robert Connell Clarke. Excellent book.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Dry ice gives me a green product that's harder to press. With my blue moonshine, I use a 160 micron bag and shake the well frozen material for less than a minute.

The resulting kief is white and presses itself into a creamy hash I roll into a ball. You can add heat and pressure to it if you like to make it into hash patties.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Make a temple ball... press into pashment paper, then with a glass bottle, place some boiling water inside the bottle and with some gloves to protect your hands from burning roll the bottle over the dry sift inside the parchment paper till it melts, do this for 10 min, then press into a little ball again, and repeat the process 3 or 4 times,, after that roll into a nice little ball, the final product should be a nice even shinny ball without seams...

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
sorry, i should have mentioned. I don't have a rossin/heat press.
just wondering of other experiments/extractions?
The kief is already sand/made

Maybe some boiling water and have the kief elevated from that to where its plyable??

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Make a temple ball... press into pashment paper, then with a glass bottle, place some boiling water inside the bottle and with some gloves to protect your hands from burning roll the bottle over the dry sift inside the parchment paper till it melts, do this for 10 min, then press into a little ball again, and repeat the process 3 or 4 times,, after that roll into a nice little ball, the final product should be a nice even shinny ball without seams...

The Frenchy method, I used it last night and it works just fine. I made a slight mistake and ran my trim through my 73 micron bag instead of my 25m, more product but less oils. I'll know better next time. :)

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
The Frenchy method, I used it last night and it works just fine. I made a slight mistake and ran my trim through my 73 micron bag instead of my 25m, more product but less oils. I'll know better next time. :)

Exactly... there are a few videos on youtube, search hashqueen temple balls or something like that.. I have yet to try pressing from bubble hash, I usually use whatever is left at the trim bin, not as tasty as bubble but get the job done, its great for cooking too, since its semi decarbed..

Cantharellus

I have done the wet newspaper and rolling pin with both dry sift and bubble. It is similar to the frenchy method with the wine bottle. You have to do it a few times and its sort of a pain. I am gonna make a clay rolling pin that I can toss in the oven. It will hold its heat and should be plenty strong.

PDX Dopesmoker

If you have a bunch of dirty sift or kief and want to clean it up then resifting is one way to go about it, if you don't mind getting the material wet then the gumby hash technique is another good way to clean it up. If you want to try making rosin and don't have a press, try heating up two bricks in an oven for like 30 minutes and then pressing between that by standing on the top brick. If you're pressing small amounts you can get pressure similar to what a press would produce.

F

Fermented

if you need more than the heat and pressure of a thumb pressing the dry sifted resin into your palm to form into a solid form, then there's too much contaminant in with the resin. Form a bowl shape with your left hand, pour in about two spoonfuls of resin then use your right hand thumb to repeatedly press down firmly you twist the powder into a putty.

As suggested above, I'd re-sift the unpressed resin to remove as much of the broken leaves and other contaminant as possible, then press it if that's what you want. The purer the dry sifted resin, the greater the impact and quality of the high, so purifying it is definitely worth it. Also keep in mind it's a lot easier to not let the contaminant in with the resin in the first place than try to remove it later.

But what is the advantage of pressing sift into hash? Mostly it was done for commercial reasons, packaging, transporting and to help prevent the loose resin from getting exposed to air and light etc...but does pressing improve the high? Does pressing burn better? No, not really, so for someone who grows their own, makes dry sift, smokes it themselves and doesn't sell it then there's not much point turning dry sifted resin into hashish, I'd suggest keeping the loose resin sealed in a glass jar. Unpressed sift is much easier to sprinkle on a joint, the only advantage to pressing is that you won't lose it all if the sift spills on the carpet, if that happens to a piece of hash, you just pick it again.

Wrapping loose resin in cellophane or parchment paper so it's about 1/4" thick and about 2" x 2" then placing one package in each shoe (place the packages inside the shoes above the heel area then go for a walk, you might need to stop and adjust the packages at first, but after a minute or so you will forget about it...after even as little as 10 minutes walking, the formally dry, sandy, yellow sift will be transformed into pitch black, pliable hash, though sift with a high % of contaminant will probably benefit from a longer walk.

The wine bottle pressing method is not that practical (hot water, glass bottles, pressure, gloves !), any pressure applied with or without heat with form a solid (depending on the % of resin heads to non-active rubbish)
It's just as easy to place the resin in a warm place until it becomes warm then press it, there's no need to apply tons of pressure and extreme heat (unless you are pressing highly contaminated sift like most commercial hashes from traditional hash making countries.

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Kiff hashish is very simple to make

Step 1
Sift your weed/trim

Step 2
Remove eventual contaminants, like hair's that might been on the buds and made it thru the screen.

Step 3
Collect the Kiff, and you can just handpress small amounts. Put on a pair of latex/vinyl gloves, and simply squeese the kiff into a ball in your hand.

If you wanna have a dark hash, you need to press it little by little working it in the plam of your hand.
Or like I mainly do just squeese it, into a solid ball.

After this I wrap it in food wrapper, vaccum pack and store it for a rainy day.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Kiff hashish is very simple to make

Step 1
Sift your weed/trim
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79214&pictureid=1918791]View Image[/url]

Step 2
Remove eventual contaminants, like hair's that might been on the buds and made it thru the screen.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79214&pictureid=1919282]View Image[/url]

Step 3
Collect the Kiff, and you can just handpress small amounts. Put on a pair of latex/vinyl gloves, and simply squeese the kiff into a ball in your hand.

If you wanna have a dark hash, you need to press it little by little working it in the plam of your hand.
Or like I mainly do just squeese it, into a solid ball.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79214&pictureid=1919283]View Image[/url]

After this I wrap it in food wrapper, vaccum pack and store it for a rainy day.

I have a tumbler but my silk screen is completely caked, i have to replace it with a new one, Maybe i can take a air compressor to it and clean it that way?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Depending on the quality of the dry sift, is how it will press into hash. If the dry sift is white or golden it will make good hash, if it's green it will be garbage and wont press well. We use to make oil, and mix it 3parts dry sift to 1part oil and run it through a meat grinder three times so it would mix well, doing about a 50 kilo run, it would come out gooey hot and you could make temple balls or use some cellophane and put it in the mold and make 1kg blocks, This was a great commercial product. Or you could clean the dry sift with screens and make some fantastic dry sift that would easily press with some cellophane and a iron on low, I preferred to smoke the latter. This was in Nepal where you could get kilos of dry sift for $100.00 us...

Bobby Boucher

I bet if you lightly dusted it a few times with isopropyl and allowed for some contact time that the air compressor would blast your screen clean as a whistle.

Looking into building myself one right now. Anyone got rpm suggestions for the rotisserie motor? min max?

Cvh

Supermod
I bet if you lightly dusted it a few times with isopropyl and allowed for some contact time that the air compressor would blast your screen clean as a whistle.

Looking into building myself one right now. Anyone got rpm suggestions for the rotisserie motor? min max?

In my experience 30-60 rpm is already on the high side.
You want your material to scrape your screen and mix up. You don't want want your material getting pushed and locked in by strong centrigual forces against the screen.

The tumbler I use now has a pulse motor. It gives a pulse and the tumbler turns a bit (1/4 rotation or so) then gives another pulse. I can adjust the interval between the pulses. This allows the material to scrape the screen and mix up.

Latest posts

Latest posts