What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mister Cohen Goes to Washington

White Beard

Other political threads are all over the map already, thought his day(s) in the court of public opinion could stand a blackboard of its own.

To sum up, Cohen testified for more than 9 hours behind closed doors with the Senate Intelligence Committee today. To the best of my knowledge so far, nothing has been released, inferred, or manufactured about it yet.

Tomorrow he’ll testify before the House Oversight committee in public session. Apparently he will bring documents.

The meta-question is about Cohen’s veracity, given that Cohen has already admitted to lying to Congress, and here he is, testifying to Congress again. Why should anyone believe anything he says?

Having thought about this some, here’s what I’ve come up with.

Cohen coming *back* to admit he’d lied to Congress can really only mean one thing, and that’s that the investigators have him dead to rights on the lies because they have proof. They know what he’s lied about, too, and that gives them leverage with him.

My guess is he made a new deal, in which he tells them how to find evidence in the papers and recordings DOJ seized, tells them what they’re looking for, in exchange for witness protection for himself and his family after his release from prison.

I’ll bet there’s other opinions too.

redlaser

Veteran
CNN was reading some of his prepared testimony tonight, only caught a part where Cohen said trump had him get a straw buyer for a trump self portait.

Brother Nature

The man's a lawyer and not a bad one at that, he knows how the system works. He's taken the time to get his story straight and he's definitely got dirt. That said, I also think Trump could sacrifice a virgin on the steps of the White House on live TV and people wouldn't really give a shit.

What's one more lawyer in jail? A good fucking start.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I predict this will prove two things. That they are all corrupt as can be and always have been. And that the murican public will not stand up against it.

Paving the way for even more corruption.

X

xavier7995

I am with that line of reasoning regarding "how can you trust a liars testimony." Along those lines, manafort kept lying and mueller clearly knew it and yanked the plea deal, seeing as cohen still has his in place, one would assume there is some sort of corroborating evidence to what he says.

Ultimately it doesnt matter, nothings going to convince anyone the other side is right at this juncture. Maybe the pisstapes will drop or something.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
The Michael Cohen Show

The Michael Cohen Show

.... where things get real!

.... in exchange for witness protection for himself and his family after his release from prison.

I’ll bet there’s other opinions too.

.... if it's that bad then that means that trump also will be potentially taking a lot of dangerous/connected folks down with him, think russian maffia, manaforte, david pecker/Nat'l Enquirer, Deutsche Bank, etc.

Trump will be the one requiring witness protection but it will be from his former friends, not his current political enemies.:tiphat:

Badfishy1

.... where things get real!

.... if it's that bad then that means that trump also will be potentially taking a lot of dangerous/connected folks down with him, think russian maffia, manaforte, david pecker/Nat'l Enquirer, Deutsche Bank, etc.

Trump will be the one requiring witness protection but it will be from his former friends, not his current political enemies.:tiphat:

Lol the manafort meme again. Other than the fact that EVERY crime manafort plead guilty to happened during hussein administration and all his Ukrainian contacts were known HRC associates, yup sounds legit

St. Phatty

CNN was reading some of his prepared testimony tonight, only caught a part where Cohen said trump had him get a straw buyer for a trump self portait.

Sh-t maybe I should add that to my Linked In page -

"Special service for power-mad ego-infused tycoons. Will act as straw buyer for a 10% fee. No criminal record, can help you buy anything - even pictures of your own ugly face."

White Beard

The man's a lawyer and not a bad one at that, he knows how the system works. He's taken the time to get his story straight and he's definitely got dirt. That said, I also think Trump could sacrifice a virgin on the steps of the White House on live TV and people wouldn't really give a shit.
I’m sure there are plenty of Trumpistas who won’t/wouldn’t give a shit...admitting to themselves Trump is as small-brained and as tight-hearted as he is small-fingered would mean admitting THEY are like that, too.

I think that’s entirely the problem: any “attack” on Trump is an attack on them personally - and any consequences he faces are equally deserved by his brainwashed cadre, and from a moral POV should land in their collective laps as well.

White Beard

Lol the manafort meme again. Other than the fact that EVERY crime manafort plead guilty to happened during hussein administration and all his Ukrainian contacts were known HRC associates, yup sounds legit
Are those “facts” from the same fact-free source(s) as your other “facts”?

You must be drink the Flint water

Badfishy1

Are those “facts” from the same fact-free source(s) as your other “facts”?

You must be drink the Flint water

No kid those are facts from sentencing report. Look it up sheep. Use that 6 gorillion iq you have. Stop w the lulz kiddo. Flint? You mean another DNC stronghold lmfao... and you want MORE gov control. You can’t make this shit up. Your feeelz mean NOTHING

Badfishy1

Also... must just be a Cohencidence his testimony is the same day as Trump overseas denuclearization summit... nothing to see here. Oh and Cohen’s handler, I mean lawyer is who? Oh none other than Lanny Davis. Yet another Clinton lackey... I’m sure his testimony is legit

X

xavier7995

I would have got away with it if it wasnt for those muddling clintons!

I didn't think there were really any bombshells or new information in the testimony. Dont think it moves the needle one way or the other. It reinforces what the folks on the left know/believe and people on the right dismiss it out of hand as a tainted source. Stolen from 538, but they pointed out that the majority of people will not be watching directly and instead getting the recaps from their media outlet of choice so that bias will be baked into the public response.

Koondense

Veteran
LOL I'm watching this for the last three hours and it's really a comedy.
Wondering what's going on in the heads of republican senators, they're running in circles.

A really entertaining watch, better than any criminal/law series or movie.

St. Phatty

LOL I'm watching this for the last three hours and it's really a comedy.
Wondering what's going on in the heads of republican senators, they're running in circles.

A really entertaining watch, better than any criminal/law series or movie.

LA Law was entertaining.

The Closer was entertaining.

DC Law ... could make a great Theater of the Absurd sitcom ... with AOC Like, debating, Ivanka Trump, Like.

Badfishy1

Interesting that even Cohen has no evidence of Russian collusion...

Hence the reason his collusion testimony was held behind closed doors. What is really interesting to me that the government is working it’s way around the attorney/ client privilege rights. Setting precedent for future cases.

Gry

Hence the reason his collusion testimony was held behind closed doors. What is really interesting to me that the government is working it’s way around the attorney/ client privilege rights. Setting precedent for future cases.
Such will always be the case.

T

Teddybrae

I recall the mocking slogan that was around during Nixon's time. There was an image of Nixon's face and under were the words: "Would you buy a used car from this man?"

This is what I thought when I first saw Mr Cohen. My imaginary text-bubble over his head read: SHIFTY!

Latest posts

Latest posts