What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag Appeal Ruing Weed and What Do You Think of Matt Riot...

707OGBUSH970

All I see on IG are pics of the same strains. Everyone loves a looker, but it's apparent that people not as informed as some of us assume that bag appeal means everything. An extreme example would be that, on DJ Short's page, it shows him getting a pack of someone's Hawaiian strains--mostly sativas--that look awesome and with totally old school foxtailly phenos. However, all the kids are calling them "mids" and "bullshit" weed. Weed we all would kill for. It makes me sad to be honest I feel like breeding for a market like that is not what is going to make cannabis diverse again. Should we be worried, or is this just the IG crowd and to be expected?

Also, I see that Riot Seeds has this Heirloom Skunk Spray Afghani seeds for sale. They are pricey at 500 bucks a pack, as is everything Riot--pricey at least, not all 500. However, I see that this guy has both his lovers and serious haters. Anyone with grow knowledge want to fill me in on how his stuff turns out? Is he a cool guy or a dickhead? I see he starts a lot of drama on IG, but that doesn't make him a bad dude. Maybe people deserve it. Its hard to get an accurate picture reading IG banter.

I know I could search but I wan to know updated stuff and if his seeds come out consistently good and are still doing so. 500 is a lot for any pack.

Fil me in peeps!
:tiphat::canabis::smoweed:

Last edited:

rolandomota

Lol wow man I know very little about Matt riot but with that price for beans he's definitely a dickhead and who cares let them talk shit and smoke sleepy boring

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Matt riot is a Punk Rocker that lives his life to the fullest not taking shit from anyone while spreading it like peanut butter.

Take him for what you will. I think he's a pretty cool dude and have attempted to grow a couple of his varieties with no luck but they were old seeds when I got them.

NO those seeds aren't worth $500 a pack!
I am of the opinion that no seeds are worth more than about $5 each no matter the variety.
However, that hasn't stopped me from spending up to $30 a seed for a couple varieties but not from Matt.

green404

500 for a pack of seeds, I would say the guy is a dickhead marketing scum who has no respect for fellow humans.

For 500 I can get a large stable full of the top genetics. I would never pay that for a hyped up fake unicorn.

707OGBUSH970

500 for a pack of seeds, I would say the guy is a dickhead marketing scum who has no respect for fellow humans.

For 500 I can get a large stable full of the top genetics. I would never pay that for a hyped up fake unicorn.

Yeah I get all that. Ive had a lot of elite stuff in my day and it seems hard to pay even much of anything at all. HOWEVER, there are things that are worth it to people if they really, really want them. I dont want to pay more than 5 bucks a piece or less for any clones, but if someone offered me a verified cut that real Dominican "Piff" Black Haze, I would pay a lot more than 500 bucks. Its all relative to what you really want or need. However, if his stuff is just crap in general, I wouldn't give it any thought. Has anyone actually grown any? Or is he just automatically a dick? I have probably 10 k worth of seeds. I have a stable. I just want to know if this something I desire is it going to be worth looking into for breeding. I have enough great strains to grow to last me 20 years.

I would say whats more of ripoff to me, is people who sell totally common genetics for 100 a pack. But to each his own.

Has anyone grown any Riot Gear?

707OGBUSH970

Matt riot is a Punk Rocker that lives his life to the fullest not taking shit from anyone while spreading it like peanut butter.

Take him for what you will. I think he's a pretty cool dude and have attempted to grow a couple of his varieties with no luck but they were old seeds when I got them.

NO those seeds aren't worth $500 a pack!
I am of the opinion that no seeds are worth more than about $5 each no matter the variety.
However, that hasn't stopped me from spending up to $30 a seed for a couple varieties but not from Matt.

Why do people say they are not worth it and then turn around and turn around and say that they have bought stuff for approaching the same price because THOSE were worth it to THEM? I just want to know if the dude is worth messing with at all. I never should have said the price. I just want to know if his seeds are worth buying at all for even 100 dollars. Then, I can decide how much a verifiable, skunk spray, burnt rubber heirloom afghani is worth. Much more TO ME than 3 packs of Cake Crasher or what other people seem to think is worth paying for, if its the real deal. I appreciate the input but I want to know if his gear is good to grow, not anything about the price. I never should have mentioned it.

HHILL

I’ve never run any of the Riot offerings, but there is a good interview with him on The Pot Cast, available for free on SoundCloud. He comes across as abrasive, yet fair. If you listen to it, you can judge for yourself. As far as a skunk variety, Dominion Skunk from Duke Diamond is good I’ve heard, never run those either.

Good luck in your search!

707OGBUSH970

Thanks Man! I appreciate that. I actually have pack of Dominion Granny Skunk and also a pack of Screaming Eagle. I slept on the Dominion Skunk. Should have picked up a pack. Duke seems to be very well respected. I will check out the podcast.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I think is all going to change soon. Back before my time people had access to lots of imported strains. All the legends such as thai and columbian. As long lots and lots of garbage. Wether it be poorly grown hay weed or just old import that had been stored poorly. No shortage of foxtails and fluffy buds. All the good import I seen myself was always from mexico or south of there but I have seen bricks in just about every quality level. When indica and indoor became popular it made sense. Faster, denser, holds itself together in a bag all day in your pocket. If your a breeder you can do 2 or 3 generations in the timeit takes to do 1 sativa crop. So it made sense that that is the direction everyone went. Meanwhile many sativas become rare or extinct. And 16 to 24 week strains are worked and grown by very few.

Lately more and more people want a sativa type high. Most have not connected the dots between long fluffy buds and rock hard nugs. But they will. Appeal is just a type of conditioning. And slow but sure more people will learn to recognise that a hard frosty nug may but them to sleep. And that tasty joint that hippy just burned got you them super high, all day. It just takes time and more good weed to share.

I think between more people running large numbers and the fact most people are breeding chem, og and cookies into what will be the bud light or coca cola of the weed industry. Im guilty too.

Just my opinion but I think its going to flip. Not many consumers care if you can pull 2 lbs of couchlock every 60 days.

HHILL

Funny about the bag appeal thing. I grew some seeds I collected in El Salvador a couple years back, 22-24 weeks flower time. They were wispy fluff that had no real nugs, smelled very fuel like similar to Original Glue. A couple friends in their mid twenty’s told me “it looks like crap, thought you knew how to grow, too much N, blah, blah, blah”... after all it’s a landrace Sativa....

go ahead, pack a bowl but be careful, it’s effects are strong.... those youngins didn’t know what hit them, almost lost their shit, one of them started sweating and said the earth was spinning, he could feel it, lol.

I crossed those to the best indica I had at the time, now growing out that hybrid, (50/50 indica/Sativa). I will cross that to a different indica..... 3/4 indica, 1/4 sativa is the result I am looking for.

I guess bag appeal is 90% these days, if it is hard and dense it must be good. I’ve always preferred medium density, I feel that Trich’s develop more when there is room. As big taco farmer said, people are used to the indoor indica.... but an exotic pure Sativa can blow people’s minds even though it isn’t what the public thinks is a good, well grown flower.

Last edited:

Somatek

No opinion on Riot seeds, just seems to be another new company that's popped up to try and cash in on the green rush and at those prices I wouldn't give it a first, let alone a second thought.

As far as bag appeal and customer ignorance that's been an issue for years and seems to generally have gotten worse with IG putting all the focus on looks/resin/bud density as the be all and end all. Which is why I always say it's just a pretty picture until you smoke it. I imagine that with legalisation slowly spreading, we'll slowly see more informed consumers. Kind of like how wine clubs have boosted the popularity of wine culture, now that people are starting to organise pot markets or hort clubs people will be able to experience more diversity first hand. In my experience that's usually when people lose interest in the solid, bud of the month (usually grown with PGR's) and realise the value of those wispy, foxtailed buds that "only" have trichs on the bracts but none on the fan leaves.

PinTac

I think that the bag appeal thing is very common, and it annoys me too. Every cannabis user I know thinks that the tighter the bud the better the smoke. And it seems to be the general opinion. I don’t think it’s going to change anytime soon. Most stoners don’t care much what they smoke aslong as it’s “fire weed bro”

I have no experience with Riot Seed but the prices are crazy though.

PinTac

I see what you mean Somatek, but I still don’t see why legalisation should create more informed customers? The dispensaries are gonna sell the same old OG x’s but with new fancy names. Shure maybe a few more people will be introduced to some delicious foxtaily bud, but it’s still gonna be a small group of people who’s gonna know about, and appreciate the old school “sativas” IMO.

ahortator

Veteran
Newbies laugh abut yesteryear buds. But I laugh more about their couchlocking stinky thick buds which make them sluggish dumb zombies.

22069457_133201160660507_4616229269192835072_n.jpg

Even hermies from a good sativa landrace get you higher than these new photo model strains.

No opinion on Riot seeds, just seems to be another new company that's popped up to try and cash in on the green rush and at those prices I wouldn't give it a first, let alone a second thought.

As far as bag appeal and customer ignorance that's been an issue for years and seems to generally have gotten worse with IG putting all the focus on looks/resin/bud density as the be all and end all. Which is why I always say it's just a pretty picture until you smoke it. I imagine that with legalisation slowly spreading, we'll slowly see more informed consumers. Kind of like how wine clubs have boosted the popularity of wine culture, now that people are starting to organise pot markets or hort clubs people will be able to experience more diversity first hand. In my experience that's usually when people lose interest in the solid, bud of the month (usually grown with PGR's) and realise the value of those wispy, foxtailed buds that "only" have trichs on the bracts but none on the fan leaves.

Dude, Riot has been around for years. He’s one of the more infamous names in the cannabis breeding world.

Riot as a person, has more enemies than just about anyone. That enough should say something about who he is and how he does business. At some point, you gotta realize the common denominator is Riot. There’s a ton of drama in the cannabis game, it’s almost impossible to be in it for any length of time without getting caught up in it. But Riot is the shirt stirring king of that drama.

As for his beans, I’ve literally never seen a positive review of his stuff from someone that has grown it. I’ve seen plenty of bad reviews and a few “meh” reviews. I’ve also seen a few people claim to have found a bunch of males in his fem seeds. I wouldn’t grow his stuff if I got the seeds for free.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I think is all going to change soon. Back before my time people had access to lots of imported strains. All the legends such as thai and columbian. As long lots and lots of garbage. Wether it be poorly grown hay weed or just old import that had been stored poorly. No shortage of foxtails and fluffy buds. All the good import I seen myself was always from mexico or south of there but I have seen bricks in just about every quality level. When indica and indoor became popular it made sense. Faster, denser, holds itself together in a bag all day in your pocket. If your a breeder you can do 2 or 3 generations in the timeit takes to do 1 sativa crop. So it made sense that that is the direction everyone went. Meanwhile many sativas become rare or extinct. And 16 to 24 week strains are worked and grown by very few.

Lately more and more people want a sativa type high. Most have not connected the dots between long fluffy buds and rock hard nugs. But they will. Appeal is just a type of conditioning. And slow but sure more people will learn to recognise that a hard frosty nug may but them to sleep. And that tasty joint that hippy just burned got you them super high, all day. It just takes time and more good weed to share.

I think between more people running large numbers and the fact most people are breeding chem, og and cookies into what will be the bud light or coca cola of the weed industry. Im guilty too.

Just my opinion but I think its going to flip. Not many consumers care if you can pull 2 lbs of couchlock every 60 days.

After reading it that back to myself it does not sound right. I was saying most fluffy bud most people have seen has been crap. Sooner or later they will get a chance to see what they have been missing. Just like now there is very little rock hard bud that has a great high.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Some years back I grew out a few cuts off his purple floss. I'd pay maybe $70 for a chance at that pack again but not any more than that.

Robney

As far as IG ruining weed with bag appeal - dude it's IG, a place for sharing photos, it's not gonna be some deep discussion, it's gonna be superficial pageantry. And as much as we can hate on the kids for judging a picture, we're still just judging a picture - we're not there smoking it with DJ, we don't know that all those are for sure the real deal cuts they say on the label, or that they were grown well - those kids could be right, just because a bag has a name we recognize on it doesn't mean it's gonna be the awesome herb you remember.

Matt Riot and Riot seeds: a little google searching has me finding posts about how he lied to breeders for their elite cuts and seeds in order to help with his medical patient program, only for there to be no medical program and him to use their work for his new company. Heath Robinson and OG Raskal were both approached by him. If he has no problem lying to get his genetics, do you think he wouldn't lie in his strain descriptions?

I'm not gonna get into the old school vs new school bullshit, but I will say, if you truly love your long flowering, old school sativas, hold onto them and make plenty of crosses and seeds, cuz their golden era is over and it's not coming back