What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who knows how?

I have to do an instructional video solo so how to do this, anyone know.
things I wonder about
how to start the video when I am in it
and
what about lighting and setting
what would be the best background color to use
please advise

bubbleman

Veteran
well set up your camera on a tripod and make sure you frame everything you want in the frame.. you may want to do a few tries to make sure while your doing your demo .. that your arms or head or whatever dont leave the frame.. that will give you an idea of how far back you need to place your camera. You can start the video and end the video by getting up and turning the camera on and off.. This can easily be edited out of the video. Make sure your sound is good ( i used a 5D mark III recently to do a demo and the IS image stabilizer was making so much noise it affected the outcome of the video , thus i turned it off and every went great. ) hope this helps

Peace
Bubble man

WelderDan

Veteran
I watched a lot of instructional videos back when I was in IT. They were all made by dudes from IBM during the 70's.

First, get yourself a wide tie. You know, one of those ties that are like 5 inches wide.

Are you partly bald? Because all those dudes were balding, and had really bad comb-overs.

And talk in a droning voice. Gotta do that.

Seriously, I have no idea what to tell you. That's just the type of instructional videos I had to watch.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My advice: Get some help. If you have to ask these most basic of questions, you will not end up with a good result. And if you don't demand at least a good result, why make the video to begin with...

I'd have a friend, who had demonstrated ability in this area (creative), make certain that they have at least one foot on the ground (many creative folks have their heads in the clouds), and then get a good book on the subject (to make sure you aren't forgetting anything important).

If you don't have a friend who can help, if there are any colleges in your area that have creative arts in the catalog, go try and get a student to help, they might welcome the opportunity to get something they can use in their portfolio.

Good luck!

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
I once worked at PIzza Hut in Utah during the Olympics out there. On your first day you watch a bunch of instructional videos. They went over everything, and then used funny sounds effects to highlight the end of a session. Also, be ready to repeat everything at least 500 times and then end the video with a text recap of the same thing over and over.