What's new

renting a room?

NOKUY

Veteran
ok i wanna make some more bank...so i thought about renting out 1 of my 3 bedrooms.

not sure what to ask money wise, and i dont want a new friend.

is doing that gonna be more trouble than worth.....i suppose so.

any advice on this, could help me pay some shit off....could make me wanna kill someone.

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
well my grow is on guard by yukon....my great pyrenees....if someone fuks w/ him they are done.

Last edited:

whiterabbit9

Veteran
here a room goes for 300-350$

dunno where you are

it depends what kind of person it is, do some interviews

do you want a chick or a dude ?

quiet is the best. quiet smart student

you don't want a new friend, but the person will be spending a lot of time in your living room bro

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would rent the room to a 1000w :yes:
quiet
always pays it's rent
don't raid your fridge
a bit stinky, but a filter will fix that
no loud roommate sex
the list goes on, and besides people suck - especially roomies :2cents:
:wave:

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
^^^^^Best idea so far. Roommates are a pita unless they are someone you really get along with. Not worth it if you are growing, no matter what kind of dog you have.

G

guest 77721

There's a guy in our office that lives across from a community college and rents out rooms. All we hear about is this guys problems with his boarders and he's a nutcase to begin with.

If $300 a month is worth your personal privacy then go for it.

zomg1

it's not worth it! from friends to randoms all my roommates have sucked.
you seem like the kind of guy who appreciates his privacy.. F roomies! nothing but problems

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I've rented out rooms in my house before, and the money certainly helps. It depends upon the renter alot. They need to understand the relationship is only for the money, not for friendship. I let you stay in my house, you pay $XXX.XX. Brief and to the point conversations and friendly 1 min. chit chats. You live your life and let me live mine.

I rented 2 rooms out at the once, didn't mean to though, I was asking around a few said they wanted it but no commitment yet. ($$$) Until money clears the bank, no room is held. Turns out after about a year I heard through the grapevine that one of my renters wasn't out of the closet yet. Well once my other renter found out, the homophobe started being a complete dick to Mr. In The Closet trying to get him to leave. Mr In The Closet finally left. Leaving me with Mr Homophobe who turns out to be a no cleaning, slob ass, oil spot in my driveway leaving pain in the ass.

I did have another great renter after them but he moved out because my rule of there are no "parties" at my house. Parties as in random strangers coming over with alcohol acting a fool and making a ruckus. A friend or two over for a few drinks I don't mind, but when a renter invites A friend over and THEY show up, bad news.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you'd be much better off to rent it as dry storage bro
otherwise there's bathroom and kitchen sharing, it sucks.

BRNEYDBVR

....could make me wanna kill someone.

Yep... That's where it'll end up.

Don't do it.

Enjoy your privacy and just take a little longer to pay those things off.

Just ask Uncle Ted what he thinks about roommates..... It would be "pump station disconnect!"....lol.:joint:

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HELL to the NO!! No dog in the worlds' gonna keep somebody from "thinking" some shit is going on. That's enuff stress alone.

G

i would rent the room to a 1000w :yes:
quiet
always pays it's rent
don't raid your fridge
a bit stinky, but a filter will fix that
no loud roommate sex
the list goes on, and besides people suck - especially roomies :2cents:
:wave:

:yeahthats

H

h^2 O

A roommate is the LAST thing I would want. I'd definitely rather sleep in a cellar. Yeah just slap a couple 1k in there unless it's mad small. If it's really small I'd rent it and charge a lot. And seal it off and make a private entrance. Hey why don't you do that? Or build a little steel frame guest house, and rent that out.I'd say for 5k you could get one together, and charge maybe $550 a month. Or do it like a bed and breakfast thing and charge like 80$ a night, and get candles and potpourri and quilts n shit

whiterabbit9

Veteran
yeah when your young/student

it's hard to pay a room to yourself

so you get a 2-3 bedroom and it's easier

When I first got out of college I got a job where I had a week to move. The only thing i could find quick in my price range was a room in an old guys house (his children were grown up and moved away).

I rented it out for $300 a month, got to use his internet and had no other bills. he even provided me with a big tv. It went well, I ended up staying there for amost a year. Didn't see him too much, he was always out and so was I, and at night time I would just go back to my room. I made sure to always keep everything clean, bathroom kitchen etc. and it was no problem. The only thing that sucked was not being able to hangout with friends at my place, but they all had apartments so I'd just go over there.

so not all stories are horror stories if you find the right renter.

rafterman

Yeh, it depends what you are used to.

When I first moved out I was going to school and shared on campus housing until I graduated with three or four fellow students. I already knew these guys and it worked out fine.

Then I started working and shared a house with several other folks again and it worked out okay until the house was sold and moved in with a girlfriend.

After I moved finally got my own apartment which was in an expensive city and darn pricy.

Couple of years later bought my own first house and stayed a bachelor for quite a few years, still am single, and I think that is my basic nature.

Could never go back to roomies again.

If you are even remotely contemplating growing in your place a roommate regardless of who they are, how much you trust them is a serious risk, I wouldn't consider it under any circumstances.