What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sigh... thrips

• Thread starter hazedandinfused
  • Start date
H

hazedandinfused

invaded my garden fuck

getting spinosad but my question is:
how fast can these motherfuckers spread? so far i only have the silver patches and black spots on one plant; but its been sitting next to my mother for like 2 weeks now?!! should i spray down the mother for insurance purposes?

i want to just tear down the whole fucking grow right now and spray that room in bleach start over

Frozenguy

Veteran
Spinosad works wonders. I would spray your mom too because I'm sure the thripes are there too. Spinosad should kill even a decent thripe infestation. Tearing the room down for thripes is unneccasary IMO.

ddrew

Veteran
Not a big deal at ALL.
Hit everything with the spinosad now, come back and hit again in a week, and you should be fine, poss third application after another week, but not always necessary.
I dealt with a massive infestation not to long ago, all good now.

P.S. make sure you spray everything, dirt, underside of leaves, mainstem, etc...
Those bastards take off running when they see you coming, I hate thrips.

Last edited:
G

GR8shoeBaDizzle

fast! I think they live in 4-7 day cycles....i fought these fuckers with a bunch of stuff....for a month or two....kept coming back....until

its the fuck'n bee'z knees. I sprayed it on a Monday, the next day I seen them dead! Then I sprayed them on a Friday just in case and haven't seen them since!!!!

shoe

H

hazedandinfused

ok you guys have brought me back from the brink i will not tear down the setup over these little bastards i will instead take the fight right to them! i think that reused hydroton could have been the culprit...

Frozenguy

Veteran
Ya i JUST had a thrip infestation like a few months ago. silvery lines all over my plants (two week old seedlings). Sprayed leaves, underleaves, stems.. only did one app and haven't seen anything buzzing around or silvery patches since. I should have done two, but I didn't. you should though, just in case..

But Spinosad works awesome.. against thrips at least.

H

hazedandinfused

hey i was unable to get any monteray garden spray but at a local garden shop talked to the owner for quite a while about thrips (told her they where on a lilac bush and spreading to my long stemmed roses and tomatos.... lol)

anyway i really wanted spinosad and she reccomened bayer 3-in-1 spray so i got some and im going to be using it soon anyone used this ? tried searching for it but couldnt find much might start new thread about it

ddrew

Veteran
Never heard of it, I tried sucrashield first on recommendation from the grow shop guy and it did NOTHING, made them happier if anything, Monterey garden spray killed all within a matter of hours.
I'd say try the stuff you got, but keep looking for the Monterey.

A

alpinestar

they live in the soil when they mature so a layer of perlite over the top of your soil in mother containers will help prevent that..

vigilant spraying using different chems helps

if you decide to trash everything:
take a cutting of your favorites and root them in individual containers away from everything
check them 3 times a day (using a magnifying glass) for the thrip larvae and use tape to physically remove the larvae
until you can actually spray the small plant

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
hey i was unable to get any monteray garden spray but at a local garden shop talked to the owner for quite a while about thrips (told her they where on a lilac bush and spreading to my long stemmed roses and tomatos.... lol)

anyway i really wanted spinosad and she reccomened bayer 3-in-1 spray so i got some and im going to be using it soon anyone used this ? tried searching for it but couldnt find much might start new thread about it
Amazon.com carries Monterey Spinosad

HTH

CC

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Monteray Garden products don't seem to be around here but, Fertilome makes a bagworm and leaf miner spray - Spinosad is the active ingredient the name is a mile long but mentiones bagworms and leaf miners.

here's a link:
http://www.fertilome.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prod=10083

1 tablespoon per qt - spray liberally - and as near as I can tell Spinosad is damn near inert to humans cannines and birds - all relitive conciderations here.

Years of experience are starting to work in my favor - I spot potential problems early and nip it in the bud!!! Yes you may equate this to a recent application of thrip spray in the garden - I'm 2 weeks from harvest on the other side - seems the thrips don't like big stacks of trichrome laden bud when there is a three story stack of tasty veg plants just down thrip avene. Thank you God.

Gotta check for the next few days - I have never needed a second aplication - though I usually give the kids an extra spritz.

I guess Spinosad is a left over from rum barrels.

Frozenguy

Veteran
I didn't use monteray garden spray either. Other products have spinosad in same formula. I got like captain jacks something or other. I'll check when I get home.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
How fast can thrips travel?

When the adults have fully functional wings they are probably on every plant or thats the very least you should assume.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Thrips are speedsters compared to spider mites - and spider mites can over run a garden.

Don't approach pests lightly - they can go from a problem to a disaster quickly.

If you see spiders in the grow - they are usually there because there is something to eat.
Spiders get a free ride in my room - so long as I only see a couple.

baet

how effective do lady bugs help kill thrips. i have thrips randomly on some plants, i think, pretty sure, plants are huge tho and outdoor, and i sprayed for spider mites three weeks ago and they are gone, but damn thrips are around, in low numbers. i wanna get 1500 lady bugs, and dont wanna spray cause im a few weeks into flower and have sum very crystally little buds...

H

hazedandinfused

alright rockymountain hi! thanks for that tip on the fertilome, went to a garden store and picked some up sprayed down the ladies today and im feeling good about it; i think i won the war in one battle we will see...

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Don't use that Bayer 3in1!!! The first ingredient is Bayer Advantage for dogs and cats flea
control. You don't want to be ingesting that shit. It's not even approved for
veggies as far as I can tell!

H

hazedandinfused

Don't use that Bayer 3in1!!! The first ingredient is Bayer Advantage for dogs and cats flea
control. You don't want to be ingesting that shit. It's not even approved for
veggies as far as I can tell!

hey thanks
dont worry i didnt use it i returned it and got the fertilome spinosad

Latest posts

Latest posts