What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When a Pet Dies (this one's a tearjerker)

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Read this today in my email...gotta be one of the sweetest stories I have read inna loooong time.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it.. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies..' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey &Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven.
Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by..
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God

picture.php

Nice to know there are at least some caring, special people out there.......

C

Chamba

It's didn't affect me at all....and no, I'm not crying, I've got something in my eye.

H

h^2 O

okay so your mailman? opened the letter to God and responded? That's cool. Be careful though, they have a bad rep (son of sam, newman)

Dog looks similar to mine...adorable pic

Great read...I wonder who did that?

Dogs are freaking awesome PUre love....And 14 years old for a dog that big?...You and your family definitely gave them a good healthy life.....

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
Dog looks similar to mine...adorable pic

Great read...I wonder who did that?

Dogs are freaking awesome PUre love....And 14 years old for a dog that big?...You and your family definitely gave them a good healthy life.....

SG....I have a Pitty, slightly smaller...not much, that'll be taking that "ride" here in the not-so-distant.....She's almost 16.

Close to home for me on this one :badday:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
I would have done it exactly the same but my sense of humor probably would have signed it " Love, Satan. "

engrish-funny-lovely-satan.jpg

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
okay so your mailman? opened the letter to God and responded? That's cool. Be careful though, they have a bad rep (son of sam, newman)

To my understanding, the Post Office has ppl who deal with letters addressed to God, Santa....I think it is cool that someone took the time, and even bought a book, to help this girl feel better--

BubsNugs

that is quite the story and geez i guess im a big wuss because i had a tear or 2 from each eye...

I love my dogs n cats n it sux ass when they die...

Peace

M

movingtocally

My physical reaction to this thread is none of your business.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Great story. When I lost my 3 yr old English Bulldog (due to complications of surgery) it was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. She had aspirated ammonia (sp?) and she stopped breathing on my couch. My wife drove to the emergency pet hospital only 3 min away while I gave her mouth to snout. She was dead on arrival. Just heart breaking. I will never forget this.

Who ever did this for you and your daughter made a bid difference in your 4 year old life. I hope your pain goes away soon. Peace, and happy farming.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
No cry, dear friends.

No cry, dear friends.

I'm Very happy here.
Got a sistah to play with.
Ststahs.jpg
Billions of people to love.
And I will wait forever and with great joy for my Meridith.

Hope it's a long long time though.
Thanks for caring folks.
With love,
Abbey
WeeBeastie.jpg