What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are these male or female?

ChenBenTz

So, the last one turned out to be male. What about these two?

FhgyjYP.jpg

GaGaugU.jpg

xkgpIJ5.jpg

r1q9YzS.jpg

sr9DKSC.jpg

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i see LOT'S of pistils so definitely NOT a boy so this is feminine for sure.

...i don't see any male parts but if this is your first run with this plant you'll want to watch it as the cycle progresses, hopefully for you it will prove to be fully female but you won't know for sure until you run it a time or 2.

...if it turns out to be a hermie it might still prove worthy of keeping, i have 1 in my collection that throws nanners the last week or 2 of the cycle and that isn't enough time to form viable seeds so it is still worth growing and enjoying the tasty buds it grows, but it is unworthy of breeding with, i love the bud but have no desire to pass the hermie trait along.

...anyway, hopefully yours turns out to be fully female.

peace, bozo

ChenBenTz

Well, the idea was that I'd figure out whether they were male or female by flowering them.

That way, I could return them to veg and use them as mothers.

So, I need to know if they male or female for sure.

How long should I keep them flowering to find out so that I can also reverse the flowering and go back to veg?

herbgreen

Veteran
Well, the idea was that I'd figure out whether they were male or female by flowering them.

That way, I could return them to veg and use them as mothers.

So, I need to know if they male or female for sure.

How long should I keep them flowering to find out so that I can also reverse the flowering and go back to veg?

Why not do this with clones...?

Then you still have the original plants in veg

Reversing back to veg from flower?

This is a terrible idea....

anything is possible but its gonna mess with your plants...It will shock them

I have seen a re-veg after harvest...Thats even a last resort imo...best to save clones then if you get a keeper you really got it.... and can keep it

i would just flower from here and then attempt to reveg after harvest

What strain are these ? They are female

ChenBenTz

They are too small to harvest anything worthwhile.

If I had cloned them, I'd have to wait 2 weeks for the clones to take root plus the 2-4 weeks until I could tell their sex, so I figured why waste time when I can just flower them and then go back to veg.

I mean, if they're hermies then I'd have to go through all the trouble of cloning them and flowering them just to find out they are hermies, no?

Is there really no way to tell if they're hermies for sure?

herbgreen

Veteran
They are too small to harvest anything worthwhile.

If I had cloned them, I'd have to wait 2 weeks for the clones to take root plus the 2-4 weeks until I could tell their sex, so I figured why waste time when I can just flower them and then go back to veg.

I mean, if they're hermies then I'd have to go through all the trouble of cloning them and flowering them just to find out they are hermies, no?

Is there really no way to tell if they're hermies for sure?

Well, you may have to wait another 2-4 weeks anyway for these to recover....if you get away with this

Yeah, man...you might pull it off...Id go with 24/7 veg right now

Its just not something i would ever do on purpose...lol

They are female

What strain is this?

Wait the time....plants really need like 5 nodes and alternating nodes to clone from... imo

...then flower the clones real quick you know what your plants are through labeling...then trash the clones....you now know whos who

veg is as important as flowering....it can determine yield, potency, flavor, ect

And then clone before you go into flower...you now have the next generation saved

And a stable copy of your killer pheno in veg... if you find one

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...with any new plant you can't know definitively that it isn't a hermie without flowering it out a couple times, i mean yours looks like a female for sure but like i said above, sometimes they don't show you thier balls until you're well into flower.

...which is why i personally treat every new seedling like a mother, generally i veg them until i can take a couple three cuts and once i root them i then flip the donor, aka the original seedling.

...anyway, i'm guessing you're about 3 weeks in and if i'm right then you can still take and root some cuts, ...i'm assuming you have the cloning skills?

...you could also just finish flowering her, harvest most of the bud and then reveg the carcass, the downside to this is that it is unreliable, even if you've done it before it can be iffy, i'm doing one right now and it's been almost 2 weeks since harvest and i'm still not 100% sure she's gonna make it.

...your other option would be to just do as you'd originally planned and assume it's a girl, pull her, reveg her until the new growth returns to normal, maybe 2 to 3 weeks considering you're not that far into flower.

...anyway, if you need help with the cloning let me know.

peace, bozo

picture.php

Ringodoggie

Premium user
You don't have to take the plant back to veg to take clones. You can take clones while a plant is in the flowering stage. Especially early on.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, during the first few weeks of flowering, the plant is producing chemistry that promotes root growth so cloning at that time actually works quite well. At least it has for me, in the past.