What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

av8or's PPK - First Grow

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Time to build something to clone in! I'm going to keep it relatively simple and just top feed a few 5.5" pots and let them drain to waste. Input will be 300 ppm jacks at the usual ratio. I am not sure what kind of pulse I should do. I can't quite flood it with the pump and materials I have laying around, so I think I'm going to pulse a few ounces every half hour or so. Anyone have any advice there?

I'll put some pics up once I get it built and some cuttings planted. I get to go wash a few bags of 8822 now. (feigning excitement)

dude, you're slackin':biggrin:. 39 posts, 11 more an you get PMs.. :tiphat:

don't kill yourself washing that 8820, soon as it dries out it powders up, some, again, never stops, just add more.. but it is cheap and works well. I made a sieve box from 1" x 3" pine with 1/4" screen for after harvest. dump harvested ppk media (8822 or MVP) into the box that is suspended over a yard wheel barrow, media goes thru roots (most) stay at screen.

EDIT: Sorry, like this: it also has 5, 13/16" holes (nothing scientific) drilled in the bottom, each hole covered by a 2 inch square piece of screen and an abundant amount of GOOP holding each in place, allowing for the media to drain/dry out but will fill the barrow with water submerging all the media with inches of water (with dead/dried material floating) that is tipped forward draining out dirty water and dead stuff (roots mostly).

Attachments

• wheel barrow & screen 2.jpg
    wheel barrow & screen 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm starting a new run in a couple weeks and am going to use 2 gallon bucket PPKs, top & bottom. It will be what it be. but I've been playin with PWT and MVP. I have the gap set at 3.5", single tailpiece (old school). I'm expecting wet MVP to 1.5 to 2" in the top PPK and getting nothing, brownish wet but not dark brown "wet". I've never taken this much time to pay attention.. did I forget something? MVP is just washed, not screened.:tiphat:

av8or

Snook - good advice on the post-harvest media clean up. I was wondering what the best approach was going to be. As for the 8822 wicking up when dry, what I've noticed (not that I've specifically tested it, though) is that placing dry media in the top bucket may not wick up that far, but when I've flooded the media once, it stayed wet for a much longer period. Maybe there's a difference between the ability of water to travel in dry vs wet media. And, just out of curiosity, how tall do you plan on vegging your plants in a two gallon top bucket? (my question has more to do with root development in that size container) Thanks, Snook!

av8or

With all the trial and error I'm going through, I'm wondering if I shouldn't grab a few more clones and "start over." I'll leave the J1 in flower with no reason to cull it. I think getting this clone table built and running in small pots under CFL's with 300 ppm jacks will be better for the babies. I drown all my plants initially, then starved them trying to dry them out. But they're all so little that it'll probably be more efficient to scrap them and start over with rooted clones that aren't all stressed out from the amateur hour going on over here. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, I'm going to dump all the nutes in this system and mix up a brand new batch. Might as well start clean! My hope is that putting new plants with good roots into a pot with media that isn't completely flooded will be more advantageous than what I've tried thus far.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Snook - good advice on the post-harvest media clean up. I was wondering what the best approach was going to be. As for the 8822 wicking up when dry, what I've noticed (not that I've specifically tested it, though) is that placing dry media in the top bucket may not wick up that far, but when I've flooded the media once, it stayed wet for a much longer period. Maybe there's a difference between the ability of water to travel in dry vs wet media. And, just out of curiosity, how tall do you plan on vegging your plants in a two gallon top bucket? (my question has more to do with root development in that size container) Thanks, Snook!
scrog, veg to 20 inches, put screen in place, another week or 2 veg and go..... i'm in a tent, headroom is always a problem..

av8or

I am trying to wrap my head around how to take clones in this media and veg them up big and healthy for the full blown ppk. If I can't flood the smaller pots the rooted clones are in, then what schedule should I feed the plants on? Is there a rule of thumb for this yet?

av8or

Snook - apologies for the newb questions...do you top pretty aggressively then? How long in the ppk does it take for your plants to recover from training? (as opposed to other methods, I suppose)

av8or

haha! I'll get to posting, sir!

I picked up six good looking Strawberry Cough babies that are rooted in soil. I'm going to bubble out the soil and transplant into the 8822 today. I better get this figured out soon! Now it's time to go post other places and get 50 posts!

av8or

Small victory this morning! As mundane as it sounds, I'm actually stoked to find out that any signs of algae that were in the system are now gone. There was some left over orca film so I put some over the media and the green algae went away post haste. I also have quit accidentally leaving the lid to the res open so no light can get in there. Lastly, I swapped nutes in the entire system, wiped out all the fines from each site and the res. Everything is looking very clean and operating well. I'm just below a 4" air gap (about 4.25").

Temp: 84.5 F
RH: 56%
Res temp: 81 F
PPM: 600
Ph: 5.88

av8or

Transplanting rooted clones

Transplanting rooted clones

I picked up some Strawberry Cough that was rooted in soil. I lot of time sitting in a bucket of water with an air stone bubbling ever so gently...but hey, it worked. I'm still trying to figure out how to set this part of the system up. Here's what I have due to necessity:

picture.php
picture.php

I had a 260 gph pump so I hooked it up in a 1/2 tube line with T's for drops. The flow is nowhere near enough or I have to figure out how to better regulate the drainage. Either way, this method is not efficient. I'm pulsing on the same timer as the other six ppk sites. So, every two hours for 67 seconds, the table gets fed with 300 ppm. Hmmm.....at least they're out of soil and in the 8822. We'll see how this unfolds.

av8or

Oh, and I put the Bruce Banner in a smaller container. That poor girl has been through the ringer already. Hopefully she decides to start growing soon.

av8or

Not looking good...

Not looking good...

The J1 has been in flower for 26 days...she's looking worse than she ever has. I have no idea what to do to fix it. Res is maintained properly and the enviros are dialed in. Confusing...

Jack Herer has only been in flower 5 days but she's starting to look bad, too.

In the veg room, this Strawberry Cough is beginning to fail, too. I'm going to swap nutes.

Up on the clone table, I've got these girls transplanted from soil into the 8822. The tips are burning. I'm feeding at 300 ppm a few ounces every two hours. Any suggestions to get these girls going?

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
What's your feed at? I have always had to feed more than d9, I use digital ballasts vs magnetic that he uses. You might try increasing the feed.

av8or

I've been feeding at 600 ppm. It's funny you recommend that. It seems as if they're deficient but not dehydrated, and the media is already too wet. I'll increase to 750 and see if that helps. Question, though...I'm in the middle of putting new nutes in the system. I've already put 15 gallons of 600 ppm in. Can I put the remaining nutes in at say...1000 or so and let that even it out? Or should I drain the 600 ppm I've already put in?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've been feeding at 600 ppm. It's funny you recommend that. It seems as if they're deficient but not dehydrated, and the media is already too wet. I'll increase to 750 and see if that helps. Question, though...I'm in the middle of putting new nutes in the system. I've already put 15 gallons of 600 ppm in. Can I put the remaining nutes in at say...1000 or so and let that even it out? Or should I drain the 600 ppm I've already put in?

av8tor, if you change too many things at once, you cant tell what changed anything down the road, good or bad but if they are already "too wet", let them dry out a little first (this is the easiest to do and hardest to accomplish at the same time) .. feed every 3 hours or more, see what happens, then a week from now, if you must, go up 50ppms at a time.. for a week each. just my $.02.

av8or

What do I want? Amazing plants! When do I want them? NOW!!!!

Snook - yeah, you're right. Patience is impossible when you're this excited. Good advice, though. I'll ease them in then.

Miraculous Meds

ppms are not ur problem. there is documented grows with 500 to 600ppm strength getting 2gpw. So while u can have success with higher ppms its not necessary and certainly isn't causing the problems. That said, u can do ur plan of adding in 1000ppm to bring up ur strength in ur res. Just isn't the answer to the prob imo. And adding higher salt levels when ur plants aren't healthy isn't a good idea. Fix ur overwatering problem, get them healthy first. Then play with all the higher nute levels and amendments, and additives u want. Although ive played with about all of them and realize now that just good quality base nutrients are all that's needed to grow AAA quality at the highest yields ever seen on the internet or real life.

F

Fields~of~Green

Av8tor thanks for showing this it helps us all at some point down the line

MM you got a link to the documented 2gpw grow?

Latest posts

Latest posts