What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planning for 08

wickyd

So I'm in a new area, and new to the outdoor growing environment.

But there are some dense woods around me, that no one ever travels.

What I have worked out for a plot:

I have found spots that are open (for the most part) to sunlight and have access to constant moist soils. The soil is a soft dark Humus rich Loam that is in a low boggy type spot. The underbrush is rich and green even today. After watching the area all last grow season, this area stays moist, not wet, all grow season. This is a rotting forest covered in mosses and maintains pretty high humidity.

Now that you have a background of the area, here are the questions:

Apart from things to worry about (animals, humans, etc.) what things should I do to prepare my area for next season?

Since the forest is heavily rotted, how much nutritional suppliment should I add to VEG, if any?

Since the soil should stay pretty moist, consistantly on its own, how sparatically can I check it?

Initially I'll go through all my remaining freebies I've collected over the years. I have some JLP mountain jam seeds that I'll try initially.

Like I said, I'm knew to outdoor and the outdoor growers "schedule" any early insight is heavily appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
wickyd

elevate

whaaats up wickyd... :joint:

wickyd said:
I have found spots that are open (for the most part) to sunlight and have access to constant moist soils.
you most likely want to trim or cut down trees in your situation. observe the sun's path, and keep in mind its path is declining in the sky right now. trim trees that obscure the greatest amounts of light, keep this in moderation (do not go all paul bunyan in the woods)...

i do not know your N lat, or if mold is a big concern for you... but opening up your plot to more sunlight is simply the greatest thing you can do. sun is #1, closely followed by the many other aspects to an outdoor (guerilla) grow...

wickyd said:
The soil is a soft dark Humus rich Loam that is in a low boggy type spot.
i would use a mixture of the native soil with my own formulated soil mix. i do not use native soil where i am because it is piss poor.

wickyd said:
Initially I'll go through all my remaining freebies I've collected over the years. I have some JLP mountain jam seeds that I'll try initially.
i am going all clone genetics in '08. the good shit, no compromises for bagseeds or hermies... those little bastards...

overall wickyd, open up your plot to the highest amounts of sunlight possible...

wickyd said:
This is a rotting forest covered in mosses and maintains pretty high humidity.
you want rapid and healthy growth, and you don't want mold.

solar powered...

Last edited:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i would recommend starting the plants indoors and finding a female to take clones from. they get a slight lead in starting to flower over plants grown from seed and you dont have to worry about males or hermis.

if you want a better opinion of your planned location, take a few photos of it and post them here.

wickyd

yeah, I'm going to do what I can indoors, give them about 2 weeks. Plant around April 1st in doors, then by the time the outdoors is ready for them, they'll be ready for the outdoors.

I may flip them into flower real early to pick females, but I plan on planting 3-4 out in the bush, so I'll get rid of the males as I need to.

I guess my main question is should I treat the soil over the winter, and what is the outdoor growers schedule like? A lot similar to a soil indoor grower?

Other than animals and insects, and getting caught, is there a constant worry in outdoor growers heads? (water/fert needs, etc)

Thanks guys, and I will post some pics soon
-wickyd

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Your location doesn't sound bad at all. Here are a couple things I'd be concerned about:

1. Are there any spots with sufficent sunshine? Trees can be a major sunblocker.
2 Is the soil PH OK? I suspect it could be low in that enviroment.

Check out my thread on sunshine(link in my sig), get a compass and go check out those woods and see if there are any spots that will be sunny next season. If you can I'd also check the PH out, moist/rotten places are often low in PH(Acidic).

Other than that, I like the sounds of your prospects. Get some scouting work done!

Latest posts

Latest posts