What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dabney Blue or M39? debate inside!

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We're going to keep this friendly.

I have been growing M39 and/or M39 hybrids for a few years now, and recently I was given a clone of Dabney Blueberry. I flowered my Dabney at the same time as a bunch of M39. Well, they look EXACTLY the same to me, smell the same, grow the same, flower at the same rate, etcetera.

It is my opinion that M39 (aka Skunk1/Basic5, aka B5, aka S1B5, aka Skunk #1 x Northern Lights #5) and Dabney are the same clone, exactly. I know some friends of mine would differ with that reasoning, but let me show you what the comparisons look like. ;)

The M39 is on the left in these pictures, the 'Dabney Blue' is on the right.

Let's hear what you think... are they the same, or different?
20m39left-dabneybluerighttopsides.jpg

20m39left-dabneybluerighttop.jpg

20m39left-dabneyblueright_body.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it from pics to me but I haven't grown either out so my knowledge is limited. I remember you mentioning this before and would also like to see everyone's opinions on this...

:lurk:

JC

Last edited:

cannigrow

They do look extremely simlar eh? I always thought M39 was the beasters strain, and the dabney a very dank blueberry...so you'd think there would be a difference. Which do you think it is, or are you saying they might be the same? You think there was a mix up and you have one or the other?

G

does m39 smell like blueberry muffins? is it a possibility there was a mix-up when you go it? they do look rather similar from here...

srah

They certainly look the same. Do you have an ol' blue to compare as well?
Someone is going to be pissed if their privately held M39 is going around for $20 in the clubs...

Oledad420

if it doesnt smell like blueberry muffins/pancakes it's not the dabney blue, so unless they both smell like that then I would say there was a mix up somewhere, but yes they look very much alike except in the last pic where it looks like one is a heavier feeder.

G

Hola CC, Hieagles Dabney, seemed to have a more sativa lookin finger on the fan. longer and more slender. those buds look an aweful lot like the Blowfish cut i keep.

plant looks close to OlBlue, except Blue yields much heavier.

i came across a thread on another site, were a peep was sayin the guy that played frisbee golf on the Dabney course, only ever gave a cut to one guy, and that all the Dabneys around are BS/fake????????

dunno cant seem to find the thread for reference. pretty sure it was at PG.

to my eye those two plants look like clones really. as to what they are i have no clue, lol

take care
CBF

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
If there is a difference... it isn't visual... That could be two cuts of the same plant from the looks of those photos....

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Cedarberry, I think the thread that you were talking about was on this site and was from Mr. Nevermind.

You might want to ask Rezdog. i think his basic diesel was a mix with M39 and I know he is working with Dabney now.

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your questions are all questions I ask myself.

It seems there may be more than the one, true, original Dabney going around. Can't be sure, as is so often the very frustrating case.

M39 CAN be IMAGINED to smell something akin to blueberry muffins, I suppose. More so than most pot anyway, which might be enough to get it named that way.

The last pic, where it appears one is a heavier feeder, is more due to different feeding schedules than a result of being different genetically. It's just a little less nitrogen to the one on the right, that's all that is. :)

Funny thing is... I smoked Dabney before I ever saw her flower... I didn't even need to hold the bud and I knew it was M39! I had just spent the whole morning trimming M39, so I KNEW M39 when I saw it! hehehe When I smelled it and handled it, I was reconvinced it was M39. When I smoked it, I was reconvinced it was M39.

Now that I am growing them side-by-side in a good environment, I can say... I believe these two plants here are from the same mother plant. Anything's possible, but that's what I think.

M

Mr. Nevermind

Cedarberry said:
Hola CC, Hieagles Dabney, seemed to have a more sativa lookin finger on the fan. longer and more slender. those buds look an aweful lot like the Blowfish cut i keep.

plant looks close to OlBlue, except Blue yields much heavier.

i came across a thread on another site, were a peep was sayin the guy that played frisbee golf on the Dabney course, only ever gave a cut to one guy, and that all the Dabneys around are BS/fake????????

dunno cant seem to find the thread for reference. pretty sure it was at PG.

to my eye those two plants look like clones really. as to what they are i have no clue, lol

take care
CBF

It wasnt another site, it was this site and the guy that said it was me. The guy who named Dabney actually just flew in today to the east coast and i was at his family home talking about this topic. He only gave dabney out to one guy Jeremy and someone in thread said they got it from J. Too bad we called J and it was quickly denied that it was ever put out. And if you guys say J's garden you ouldnt want a cut from there anyway.

If you think M39 and Dabney are the same then the simplest answer is you got a mislabeled cut. Dabney is very distinct smell and taste wise and is nothing like and basic 5 hybrid. If it smells like blueberry muffins/pancake syrup its dabney. it has a very thick blueberry odor, nothing to imagine about. It smells like a thixk strong blueberry smell.

Nevermind

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
So Mr.N. ,do you think that Rezdog has the real Dabney? He said that he was going to start working with it.

ograskal

Veteran
Wow.....CC those 2 do look very Much alike.....Maybe it is the same Clone as the M39......I wouldnt know cuz I never puffed on the M39.....Heres the Same Exact cut that you have, Grown By Me.....The Cut was Sourced From Swerve So maybe he can Chime in and tell us Where he got it from...~OG Raskal

Dabney Blue or M39?????

She does have a Sweet Berry Kids Cough Syrup Smell to me.......

M

Mr. Nevermind

Pops said:
So Mr.N. ,do you think that Rezdog has the real Dabney? He said that he was going to start working with it.

I have no ideas what Rez has. All I know is that most of what i have seen looks nothing like dabney and talkng to the dude that named it yesterday confirmed what i thought. That it hasnt been passed around by either of em.

Look at it simply, take the words Dabney blue out of the topic and replace it and look at it rationally. lets say someone offered you cuts of sour D and Romulan. You grow both of em out and they are both smelling tasting and smoking like sour d. What would you say ? that romulan and sour D are the same cut? or that someone mislabeled your shit and you took 3 months to find out? The later of the two makes more sense.

She does have a Sweet Berry Kids Cough Syrup Smell to me......

The chances are that aint Dabney. Dabney dont smell liek cough syrup. It smells like blueberry muffins/pancake syrup. Nothing like any medicine. It smells so strong that you want to eat it. dont smell like pot, it smells like a food.

Nevermind

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read somewhere yesterday that Rez isn't intending to use it.

ograskal, that's M39 if I ever saw it. ;)

So, f there really IS a Dabney out there, and it's not just a renamed M39 clone, I'd like to see it someday. Nobody here seems to have a Dabney that looks like something other than M39. Let's see one. Anyone?

M

Mr. Nevermind

Crazy Composer said:
I read somewhere yesterday that Rez isn't intending to use it.

ograskal, that's M39 if I ever saw it. ;)

So, f there really IS a Dabney out there, and it's not just a renamed M39 clone, I'd like to see it someday. Nobody here seems to have a Dabney that looks like something other than M39. Let's see one. Anyone?

I can attest that there really is a Dabney blue out there. I can attest that is hasnt been traded on boards since the holders of the cut have no ideas about IC mag or any other site ( i just told him about IC and dabney debate about 2-3 weeks ago) . I do think that the thought of a true blueberry tasting strain has gotten some people excited and perhaps a bandwagon jump was made and a mis labeling took place. I mean how many people got fake OG kush gots 2 years ago ( and seriously still are). I got a pm not to long ago from someone saying that dabney cuts being passed around are just cuts from MSM's gear, or his old blue. So how knows. All i know is the namer of the strain gave it out to one dude and his garden is pretty ragged and i wouldnt want a cut out of there. He has been fighting mites for years and is still losing.

Im not saying you all got some fake shit, cuz whatever it is you got j,udging by the pics and knowing your ability to grow, im sure it is good. from my knowledge i just know Dabney is VERY pronounced and unmistakeable. Very dark green leaves, very resinous ( like if squezed your hand is wet from it) , small is liek blueberry muffins coming out of the oven only a much thicker smell ( like the air around it is thick and stick to ya) to hermi prone, a nute hug and doubles in size in flower. He usually grows em to about 2-2-1/2 feet in veg then flips em and rnd up at 4 feet but a bush.

He flys back to Or in a week or so and waiting fro him will be a box things he has wanted for a while ( he wants my sour) and in Dabney and his Original ( another clone only hats just nasty) are making a trip out east for an extended stay. but first he got some fucking off to do out east. Hitting a disc golf course later this week with him and a jar of strawberry chunk.

nevermind

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
A lot of plants look alike... I've noticed it in more than one instance, I'm sure we all have. Williams Wonder and UW come to mind... I mean, a ton of plants have Skunk and NL ancestors... I dont know if anyone knows the lineage on Dabney, but I'd bet you would find those 2 in there somewhere....

The Dabney and M39 cuts are not the same... They don't smell alike at all...

Interesting observation, but I have to disagree.

here are some shots I have of the Dab...

thanks,
m

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hehehe, dude, that's almost certainly M39 IMO ^^^ I'm telling you, I've been eating, sleeping, writing, photographing M39 for a long time.

You see those two plants in my pics at the top??? Those are both M39 (my educated guess), one is labeled as Dabney Blue, the other is labeled as M39. They're the same clone. Same smell, same height, same everything. I've been smelling and watching these two all the way from veg, trying to spot ANY difference... there is none. And M... if I saw those buds in another thread, having nothing to do with Dabney or M39, I'd STILL guess it was M39. ;) Don't wanna piss in any cornflakes, but bread is bread, cheese is cheese. If I sent an M39 clone to you, you would come to the same conclusion I have. I've grown thousands and thousands of plants, all loved dearly, and I can tell when I have two exact clones of the same plant. ;) If the two are different, this is the closest I've EVER seen two plants get to eachother... even seed runs with 20 sisters won't usually find two sisters as identical as these two are.

Mr Nevermind seems to be telling us there IS a Dabney out there, but that it hasn't been traded on the forums. If this is true, then M Steelers... you might want to consider yourself a part of the M39 club, not Dabney. ;) I have about a hundred donkey dicks of M39 just 10 feet from me right now, I KNOW what they look like, and what they don't look like too. ;)