What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best long term storage

Im'One

What's the best way to keep buds potent and smokable for long term...say two years?
Is there a way to make a smokeable concentrate that will keep for long term? Thereby reducing storage woes?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have pot that is 2 and 3 years old and it's like new. I use 1/2 gallon Ball jars and I vacuum seal them.

In the past, I have used the same jars without vacuum sealing and the vacuum sealer definitely helps a lot.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It just occurred to me that keeping the bug in a vac sealed jar will also pull the moisture from the interior of the buds, as the jar equalizes inside. Maybe flood the jar somehow with N2 before putting on the lid too.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I heard freezer is bad. Fridge is better. Something about freezer fracturing chlorophyll cells. Not 100% sure on that but, somehow recall hearing that.

ElGato

Veteran
here is an interesting article by Ed Rosenthal
https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/how-to-properly-store-cannabis

Ed Rosenthal said:
Storing buds in the freezer or refrigerator slows deterioration. Freezing keeps buds fresh longest.

However, even in deep freeze THC deteriorates, at nearly 4% a year. In deep freeze (below 0°F) deterioration slows further. At refrigerator temperatures THC deteriorates at the rate of about 5.4% a year. A freezer is best for long-term storage; a refrigerator is good for protecting terpenes in the short term.

Jerry_Garcia

I have pot that is 2 and 3 years old and it's like new. I use 1/2 gallon Ball jars and I vacuum seal them.

In the past, I have used the same jars without vacuum sealing and the vacuum sealer definitely helps a lot.

What do you use to vacuum seal the Ball jars?

Ringodoggie

Premium user

wutwut

Veteran
so how long does it stay good if it's jarred and vacuumed? just thinking if i forgot them for 10 years haha.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The longest I have stored pot is about 3 or 4 years so I can't say about longer but after 3 or 4 years, the humidity in the jar stayed stable. I usually shoot for about 55%RH

OCdirty

I heard freezer is bad. Fridge is better. Something about freezer fracturing chlorophyll cells. Not 100% sure on that but, somehow recall hearing that.

I‘be freezed for as long as 24 months with not noticed bad results. I vacuum seal in bags and then put in jars and freeze

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Iirc, THC stops degrading at -5 F. Ideally you'd store your cannabis in a vacuum sealed jar in a non frost free deep freezer that can get to about -10 F.

Or better yet store it in liquid nitrogen.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You guys got the vacuum seal part right, but vacuum means no air.
I've got 3 year old stuff that you would not believe. It gets stored in a cool dark place too.

picture.php

Ringodoggie

Premium user
This has become an issue for me again.

I am forced to store my pot at 80+F and it's starting to taste like shit. And, the fluctuation in temperature is moving the humidity up and down. I opened a vac sealed jar today that was a few months old and it was 80F and 73%. I store everything at about 60-65%. And, I am super careful about drying and curing.

I have always vacuum sealed jars and stored them in my basement in file cabinets. LOL However, that was Ohio and my basement was almost always a clean, consistent 70 degrees F all day, all year long. With a nice constant temp the humidity also stayed consistent.

HOWEVER....... LOL That was then and this is now. I live in the SoCal desert. Basements are non-existent around here. And, NOTHING is 70 degrees. LOL Even in the Winter the temps run 30+ degrees up or down in the course of any day. All this is killing my pot stash. I have about 50 to 100 quart jars to stash at any one time.

I would buy an extra refrigerator for the garage but I have stored jars in a refrigerator in the past and more than once, the jars condensed inside.

From what I have been reading, a fridge won't set at 70F which is pretty close to the ideal storage temperature for pot.

Any suggestions on a nice constant 70 degree storage situation for this many jars?

Thanks