Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Mad’s Thin Mint cross “Velvet Mango” -Test grow

Thread Title Search
Mad’s Thin Mint cross “Velvet Mango” -Test grow Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2020, 06:15 AM #1
MadR1

MadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the rough
Mad’s Thin Mint cross “Velvet Mango F1” -Test

I’ll be growing 5 unique GSC lineage mixes in this thread. First grow 100% Aquaculture Hempy Buckets with Coco.

There is some confusion over a labeling problem at the beginning. Scroll past all that madness to the pictures of the sprouting goodness.

1. Velvet Mango P1: Last 9 sprouts
GSC x [(Blueberry x (Dutch Treat X Headband)]F5.
Best cross I’ve made in my 10 years working with the Headband X Dutch Treat seeds I inherited that started my interest in breeding.

Maybe the GSC cut I used was Animal Cookies? Later this becomes my most educated guess.

I’ve grown these beans before. A lot of great chocolate and orange flavor in these. One tasted like an orange soda. Some tasted like mango.

2. Chocolate Fire Crackers P1:
(Velvet Mango X Purple Cookie Thing F2) One of my newest accidental crosses.

PCT F2 = (Jesus OG X Blue Dream) X Velvet Mango) X Velvet Mango . I called Fire Angel in a previous grow log.

Cause of this labeling problem part of the reason I’m growing this out is to confirm that was the male used and not a male of its own breed which would mean these are VM F1 beans already, the MAIN goal of this grow is to make such beans.

3. Denver Cookies s1: 3 Bagseed from store bought. Unknown GSC cross. This one has a Fire OG taste also. Chocolate and mint, but definitely something SFV. Something Animal Cookies is my bet.

4. PCG Mochi: Clone from store.
(Sunset Sherbet X Thin Mint GSC)

5. PCG Do-Si-Dos: Clone from store.
(OGKB x Face Off OG)

These are my last 8 seedlings of VM. Hmm, they were always a bit more difficult to grow than my later cross PCT.

I scratch my head. I’m used to seeing the sprouts bigger. To low of light? I put them under brighter lights.

Every time I change to a new water source I need to relearn how to grow.

I water them again with the water from my dehumidifier. EC of .1

This time I adjust the ph as it’s to high. I bring it down to 5.6.

Maybe that’s it? They’ve been in nutrient lock cause the ph was 6+?

I fear I’ve killed them but will see if they improve. Maybe they are just a picky breed about the ph early on?

About my Aquaponics garden.

200 gallons CHOP constant height one pump style system.
2 pounds Butterfly Koi
6 pounds goldfish
1 crayfish
25 gallons of hydroton -growbed
Deep Flow Technique, grow tray filled completely with hydroton, with lettuce, purslane, watercress, some small Cannabis plants in veg.
Swirl filter
Some aquarium pumps and airstones.
2 2.5 gallon sand filters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	154E623D-1EF9-43AA-B6A4-46E58638D1F4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	543805

Last edited by MadR1; 08-12-2020 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: simplicity
MadR1 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:32 AM #2
MadR1

MadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the roughMadR1 is a jewel in the rough
Meanwhile another experiment I’m doing is almost working smoothly.

Grape Ape pregnant with a sticky male GA’s pollen. 100% grown in Aquaculture water since start of 12/12. Hand fed once a day into Hempy Buckets with Coco.

The EC of the fish water is .9 How are the fish not dead? It’s beyond me. It used to be .4ish for a year or so, last few months 1!

And now all of a sudden the ph has dropped way down to some color I don’t even see on the chart.

I’ll have to go to the pet store and buy some fish ph up as I don’t know if hydro ph up is ok for fish?

Yikes. For months the ph was always perfect for the plants. This is the first I’ve seen it change. No wonder the fish been looking at me funny, so acidic. Poor fish!

I adjusted the ph for the plants in a separate bucket. First time adjusting the ph at all for my 12/12 this round.

Please don’t die fish! When it rains it pours!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	967AF0E7-5AD5-42C9-BC5C-51A6F97765D9.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	543811

Last edited by MadR1; 08-04-2020 at 07:45 AM..
MadR1 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 PM #3
MadR1

Velvet Mango Update:

To make this more interesting I’ll attempt to learn how to grow them 100% Aquaponics from seed. Something I’m trying to do now anyhow cause RO water is expensive.

I’ll pretend that it’s just like growing with RO water, and how that relates to adjusting things. If it starts going way downhill I’ll grow 4 with normal nutes and 4 with fish water.

My RO water has a ph of 5.6. No wonder my fish tank had such a low ph. I’ve been adding this water to it to bring down the EC.

I added a few small cup fulls of my Aquaponics water to about a gallon of this fresh RO and then watered the VM sprouts again.

How I would have done this with my RO water normally would be to add a very small amount of CalMag and PBP grow.

Peace!
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 03:35 AM #4
MadR1

If they will sprout I’ll also grow some

My cross Purple Cookie Thing F3
((([(Jesus OG X Blue Dream) X (Velvet Mango)] X Velvet Mango])))F3

Bagseed
3 Denver Cookies

And from clone
1 Mochi

That way this can be a comparison grow of hopefully 4 different TM crosses. 2 by me and 2 bred by other folks.

Last edited by MadR1; 08-06-2020 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: Clarity
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 AM #5
MadR1

Pics of my Purple Cookie Thing F2 - small mother plant to the F3 beans I plan to feature in this thread. Still drying, but I busted out some seeds and smoked that later to sample the taste.

Looks and tastes most like the GSC Thin Mints clone I wish I still had, that I used to make this cross. Great great grandmother? Great great great?

Minty chocolate cookie dough flavor. Wish I had taken a clone of this also. Please F3's be so kind!

Yum!!! Coco Pure Blend Pro nutes grown Hempy Buckets with Coco.

Or was this one of the 3 Velvet Mango plants that I somehow didn't label recently and it got into the 12/12 with me thinking it was a PCT, but really it was the prior generation, pre- X (BlueDream X Jesus OG) version? This is one of these things I'm hoping to sort out with this grow.

As I strive to make better notes about these things.

Update: this looks a lot like Fire OG. Tastes like chocolate and mint cookie dough but later there is an SFV aftertaste that lingers for days. I’ve grown SFV and Fire OG. No flavor I know like that. The clinic I got the GSC cut from must have relabeled Animal Cookies to GSC to get it to sell better, or they had both and mixed that one up!

Animal Cookies = Girl Scout Cookies S1 x Fire OG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2910.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	543989 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	543990

Last edited by MadR1; 08-08-2020 at 06:43 PM..
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 05:50 AM #6
MadR1

If what I’ve learned in my recent research about GSC is true, experts will likely chime in and say the GSC cut I purchased from a Bay Area club 3-4 years ago is a fake or a cross.

That the creators of Thin Mints never gave it or GSC genetics away, so everything else is from bagseed or crosses made from such?

5 years ago? To long ago for it to have been the newer PCG GDP X Durban X OG? What GSC clone was going around at the clubs back then?

Maybe this thread gonna be about my Thin Mint Cross crosses....
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 06:40 AM #7
MadR1

Pics of my other 7 flowering 100% aquaculture grown since 12/12. 3 weeks veg with PBP nutes. All pregnant with pollen from a stud Grape Ape. First 6 are PCT F2. Last generation I called the strain Fire Angel, but I rename it when I get a pheno that takes the flavor in a different direction.

The last one pictured is a different strain, Hash Plant Black Domina F1 from AK Bean Brains. I purchased it as a BX, inbred, so I'm calling this one F1.

The one second to last may be my Velvet Mango strain. One of the 3 plants I lost track of labeling. I'll bet if it was colder at night (during the day), this would already be a dark purple leaf one. Looks like a Blue Dream leaner with some AC influence. Putting extra pollen on this one.

Each of my plants in 12/12 is getting about 210w-300w of light with sets of 3 80w Sunstrips underpowered at 70w each. 2 warm, 1 white in the middle, configuration. Whole 12/12 is 550w LED. And the lights are pretty far away from the plants, more so than most growers I believe. Mmmmm, more flavor!

Sorry, I do believe I have the wrong type of lens on my dlsr for this kind of photography.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	543995 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	543996 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2921.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	543997 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	543998 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	543999

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	544000 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	544001

Last edited by MadR1; 08-12-2020 at 07:40 AM..
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 07:21 AM #8
MadR1

Another clue the GSC cut I had was Thin Mints?

From another forum, “ The fan leave stems will grow extremely long and stick straight out. It looks very odd.”

Pictures of a Velvet Mango and some PCT f2s.

The VMs side branches grew out way extra long later, couldn’t find a pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	049D8F58-5A87-4755-B113-96C0FE91D812.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	544002 Click image for larger version

Name:	7A42C5B4-974A-4D88-801B-15DE0412C1CD.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	544003

Last edited by MadR1; 08-08-2020 at 06:51 PM..
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 PM #9
MadR1

That purple plant I showed in the begging is totally a VM F1 and not a PCTF2!

It doesn’t taste anything like Jesus OG. Look anything like those PCTf2s I’ve run. Smokes just like a TM leaner VM. I really believe the pollen I put was PCTf2 though.

There is also this evident of my labeling mistake.

Time to play our game, Which of these beans is doin it’s own thing?

If you answered the two on the bottom left, correct. They are clearly a different color. More the color of VM beans than PCT.

And overall they all have a larger more cartoony look like Velvet Mango beans. I’ve ran 7 PCT F2s and made F3’s and none of those beans look “More GSC” like these.

This brings me to an obscure breeding question. Does the pollen influence the look of the beans? The male must have been a PCT, the only other variety I didn’t label recently.

Wow. Wouldn’t that be Fing cool if it was that easy! Just look at these and say, those bottom two are the VM learners I’m looking for.

I’ll gather them up and only sprout the ones that are that color!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	796A5137-8B31-4397-A872-A8FDD70C9B2E.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	544062

Last edited by MadR1; 08-06-2020 at 09:15 PM..
MadR1 is offline Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 08:47 PM #10
MadR1

9 VM sprouts! This is just how they look I remember.

Animal Cookies is supposedly difficult to grow. It sure fits the bill of a AC cross. Makes me cough nearly every time. Sweet and sour. Almost immediate HEAVY body buzz. Really helps me forget my daily often severe chronic back pain.

Feeding RO water adjusted EC to .2 by adding fish water till I get it there. Soft water sucks and needs to be hardened a bit for the roots to have something to latch onto. My unscientific explanation.

All 3 Denver Cookies S1’s cracked. Yippeeee!!!
Put them in. Hope they are proper same strain feminized, not a single plant that pollinated itself/Hermi.

Fed them plain RO water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24B52858-9DA4-4F38-83BF-980A4A980981.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	544162

Last edited by MadR1; 08-08-2020 at 05:43 PM..
MadR1 is offline Quote