What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Apollo 11 Phenotype Classification and the Search for Genius

Eudaemon

Hello everyone! I am just finishing up my first grow. It's been an incredible ride and the help that this forum has provided has created insane results. I am gearing up for my next run, but I've recently become obsessed with Princess, Genius and the resulting Apollos. Absolutely obsessed; it seems, at prima facia, that Cinderella and the Apollos are the perfect strains. So, with that said:

I purchased 22 Bodhi Apollo 11 Genius F4 Open Pollination seeds. I know it's not enough seeds to yield a Genius, from a probability standpoint, but it's possible. Further, what are the other phenotypes that have been observed? I have searched and seen vague descriptions, but unfortunately, nothing that gives me the tools to redily classify and identify the phenotype.

Does anyone have any info on Genius and Princess offspring phenotypes? I want to clone and save all females from this run until they are fully evaluated. I hope this line is as special as my obsession has become large.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Does anyone have any info on Genius and Princess offspring phenotypes? I want to clone and save all females from this run until they are fully evaluated. I hope this line is as special as my obsession has become large.

hi

Genius-phenos have a "zig zag"-growing stem, similar zig zag like how clones many times grow or plants grown from seeds that are maturing to show preflowers, but Genius is like this from early on.
Never had a Genius pheno myself.
:)

St. Phatty

Including C99 or more just Ice Princess (Princess x White Widow) ?

LostTribe

Premium user
I think the upcoming grimm release of Avenger 13 is going to really bring out some Genius esque specimens as the Genius x vortex seems like the vortex side won't come through nearly as strongly as the Genius but only testing will provide that info and the wait is still on.

Best of luck with the bodhi A11!

Eudaemon

Gah, I should have just bought 55 Apollo 11 beans, lol. I've noticed that the cannabis community has detailed, consolidated strain guides, but that those guides don't contain detailed phenotypic infofmation. I will do my best, but need a larger sample size to really run a strain out and document it.

I've read the zig zag comment, and perhaps it's because I am new, or I've never seen one, but I am having an impossible time visualizing that.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I've read the zig zag comment, and perhaps it's because I am new, or I've never seen one, but I am having an impossible time visualizing that.

Well, it doesn't grow straight! :biggrin:
At a node it grows at an noticable angle not straight like normal young plants, from seed that is

Here's a Genius photo By Retardo Motambo
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213399

picture.php

See how the stem grows at a a slight angle at the nodes? It's not because it is topped/trained, it's because the Genius is a mutant

:)

R

RSN

TriCloud

TriCloud

Sir:
TriCloud Genetics - a Michigan breeder (well respected) who uses Brother Grimm genetics for years in his breeding.
You may find what little seed stock that is left at Great Lakes Genetics. I have 5 strains from this seedbank.
No sure she/he/they are retired. They use to have a web site but dropped it.
You may find some thread info on most forums. There seems to be more on MMMF.
-
RSN

Eudaemon

That is the weirdest looking plant! That shouldn't be too difficult to spot. Do any of the Jack Herer phenotypes show up? The only way I can decipher the other phenotypes is through knowing the phenotypes of the parent strains.

There are two models for phenotypic classification, kind of--inductive and deductive. Inductive would be growing and observing and documenting phenotypic differences, but deduction would be going through the genetic lineage and deducing the probable phenotypes. Deduction is the only process that can be used for early prediction.

How far and deep do you need to research to have a familiarity with almost every phenotype that a seed based strain can produce? I know it's not possible, but there has to be more data I am missing. People have been growing this family of strains for 20 years. We

Eudaemon

I think the upcoming grimm release of Avenger 13 is going to really bring out some Genius esque specimens as the Genius x vortex seems like the vortex side won't come through nearly as strongly as the Genius but only testing will provide that info and the wait is still on.

Best of luck with the bodhi A11!

LT,

I've followed your comments in the Brothers Grimm thread. I was interested in Avenger, but have no experience with Vortex. I will run some Brother's Grimm gear as soon as it's released, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to start with a classic. I've never even smoked Cinderella :/

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just think you're asking for too specific information as befits a young grower.
The learning is in the growing, the observing. It's a path only you can take.
I'm not taking notes and measuring things in the garden. I'm Observing.

My Apollo line I always regarded as a 50/50 Genius/Cindy.
She has the very pronounced zig-zaging while retaining a pineapple fragrance.
Here are my stock pics for demonstrating the Apollo branching.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Eudaemon

Highlighter,

I think you're right. I want the knowledge before the experience. I just wish each strain came with a mapped genome and a companion guide. I need a second flower room; I'm getting antsy. These are great pictures and I'm on a much better start. Thanks!

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Regarding Retardo Motabon's pic above, that is the Genius cut,
whereas there's a Genius pheno, most likely what FITS is describing, that I dubbed the GPC ...Genius Pheno Cut, that has been passed around since '04.

Here's what she looks like, 12 days into flower.

picture.php

master shake

I know very little about genetics, but...

Is the gene that produces the "zig-zag" the same gene that controls every other aspect of a "phenotype"? For instance, smell, potency, bud structure, flower time... Or would that suggest it is more likely to contain these other specific genes if the zig-zag is present, by association?

LostTribe

Premium user
I know very little about genetics, but...

Is the gene that produces the "zig-zag" the same gene that controls every other aspect of a "phenotype"? For instance, smell, potency, bud structure, flower time... Or would that suggest it is more likely to contain these other specific genes if the zig-zag is present, by association?

It depends on the DNA sequence as each characteristic you have listed has its own set of chromosomes. Dominant, dominant recessive and recessive.....

Pinetar

I just realized that one of my new tricloud Grimm Trifecta has the wonky angular growth you say the genius has. I have five new seedlings going and this one has that pattern going on starting at the fifth node set up from there. Do they display this as babies.

FireIn.TheSky

I just realized that one of my new tricloud Grimm Trifecta has the wonky angular growth you say the genius has. I have five new seedlings going and this one has that pattern going on starting at the fifth node set up from there. Do they display this as babies.

It doesn't really mean much I have seen many plants of various unrelated strains have a zig zag nodes, the only thing that makes it special in regards to A11 is it is a trait that can be easily segregated amongst individuals.

Pinetar

Grimm Trifecta from tricould is all Grimm stock, (a-11 x a-13) x c-99. I was hoping find a Cindy like plant, maybe one will be. Just saying I have those growth habits on a baby, see what comes of it hopeitsagirl