What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

advice on blueberry male selection :)

growhi

hi there im looking for anyone with first hand experiance on breeding with blueberry ,
i basicaly want a few stud males so i can make future cross's with steller females i find along my seed poping journy !
i want males that pass on the sweet berry tase and smell and that cross true and make any cross better that the oringinal female was ,

what should i be looking for ? what male trates if any are most sort after when it comes to blueberry !

iv read dj shorts articals on male selection so i have a base to work from , just wondering if anyone had there owns opinions and experiances to share

im currently running 40 dp blueberry regular seeds and 30 chrimera ULTIMIX SEEDS

any help would be great
thank you :tiphat:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Not sure if you PMed Chimera yet?

But you should! Chimera has been very good to talk to for me in PM's :thank you:

Sometimes people feel odd PMing somebody on a pot site, but Chimera is very friendly :ying:

I hope you get alot of info here but I doubt you will get better info from anybody here over Chimera on the blueberry male selection in your ultimix seeds :artist:

growhi

Not sure if you PMed Chimera yet?

But you should! Chimera has been very good to talk to for me in PM's :thank you:

Sometimes people feel odd PMing somebody on a pot site, but Chimera is very friendly :ying:

I hope you get alot of info here but I doubt you will get better info from anybody here over Chimera on the blueberry male selection in your ultimix seeds :artist:

thanks i was hopeing for a post from chimera , i wont pm him, dont really wanna bother him ,sure hes a busy man !

plus if he posts it here on the fourm ,others can share the info if they ever want to do some blueberry breeding , i have my first few males anyway early sexed 2 so far , on another note i think this will be a good test for the dp blueberry , you get alot of people reporting problems with dp blueberry after growing a few fem seeds or one pack of regs ....................... 40 regulars should give a real indecation of the shape this line is in ! ........... germ rates were great anyway 38 out of 40
same with chimeras ultimix 28 out of 30 would of been 29 but im a heavy handed bugger and snaped one lol

AlexTrebek

If you've got 30 of the seeds that he's bread, grown and matured,
He'd most likely send you indispensable information on how to use them to their fullest potential for whatever your purposes may be.
I have yet to find seedbay registered breeder that isn't willing to answer a customers questions with a BIG SMILE :):):):):):):)

watts

ohms
Veteran
red/burgandy, hollow stems.

Attachments

• 15012IMG_2353.JPG
    15012IMG_2353.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 15012IMG_2524.JPG
    15012IMG_2524.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 15012IMG_2729.JPG
    15012IMG_2729.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 15012IMG_2799.jpg
    15012IMG_2799.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7

growhi

If you've got 30 of the seeds that he's bread, grown and matured,
He'd most likely send you indispensable information on how to use them to their fullest potential for whatever your purposes may be.
I have yet to find seedbay registered breeder that isn't willing to answer a customers questions with a BIG SMILE :):):):):):):)

ohh yes hes really helpfull is chimera learnt lots and lots from reading his post's , im sure he will post a reply on here when hes free , then everyone can share is wisdom , already some good info with the pics posted :)

watts

ohms
Veteran
great pics there mate really helpfull , are those pics of a male or female , i have a few showing red stems not to that degree though but early days yet there only a few weeks old :)

male. I don't know how the blueberry is these days but that's how original blueberry was.

1and1

Smoke the leaves of a male each day when you wake up. Look for the one that actually gets you a little stoned, and or has some bit of blueberry taste.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i dont want to come off mean or harsh, so sorry if it does in anyway...

i dont think this is something that is a rellavant question, meaning that a particular strait doesnt mean you look for particular traits for a male in that strain. when choosing a male its the same general concept for all strains.

when breeding you should have a plan in your head of what the final outcome would be. then when choosing parent plants you look for dominant traits that you would want to see in the off spring.

so in short YOU should already know what you want.

imo best way to choose a male is by scent, and structure, flowering times...but thats just me...im all about flavor so i look for the strongest smelling males and look for a real hardy plant as well, but again thats what i like, each person is different

growhi

i dont want to come off mean or harsh, so sorry if it does in anyway...

i dont think this is something that is a rellavant question, meaning that a particular strait doesnt mean you look for particular traits for a male in that strain. when choosing a male its the same general concept for all strains.

when breeding you should have a plan in your head of what the final outcome would be. then when choosing parent plants you look for dominant traits that you would want to see in the off spring.

so in short YOU should already know what you want.

imo best way to choose a male is by scent, and structure, flowering times...but thats just me...im all about flavor so i look for the strongest smelling males and look for a real hardy plant as well, but again thats what i like, each person is different

i hear you ! but i do have traits in mind what i want , as iv already stated i want a male that pass's on the sweet blueberry smell and taste/colour to its offspring , what i dont want is a male that just pass's on a generic weed smelll , with no real classic blueberry traits !

so i know what I want , im just looking for advice on how to get what i want ,

and asking people with first hand, in depth , practical knowlage is always the way to go in my mind , it never hurts to ask :)

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
that sounds a lot better....the best way to get the smell taste it to choose a mom that already has similar to what you want or atleast is very very fragrant and pungent, and then get a father that is very musky and strong sweet smelling...when choosing a male a big indicator tome is smell, the stronger the smell the more desirable it is

then with the seeds from these 2 plants you sprout them and look for the strongest smelling male or female with alot of color and cross it to the parent that has the more desirable traits.

anyways in short i find the best males are always the strongest smelling ones...that doesnt mean if a male smells like dog shit and smells the strongest of the bunch to choose it, lol

males usually get their smell after a month or so of veg, by rubbing and twisting the stems and leaves you will get the best sense of which male is best

again im all about flavor and choose mine with the flavor in mind

growhi

that sounds a lot better....the best way to get the smell taste it to choose a mom that already has similar to what you want or atleast is very very fragrant and pungent, and then get a father that is very musky and strong sweet smelling...when choosing a male a big indicator tome is smell, the stronger the smell the more desirable it is

then with the seeds from these 2 plants you sprout them and look for the strongest smelling male or female with alot of color and cross it to the parent that has the more desirable traits.

anyways in short i find the best males are always the strongest smelling ones...that doesnt mean if a male smells like dog shit and smells the strongest of the bunch to choose it, lol

males usually get their smell after a month or so of veg, by rubbing and twisting the stems and leaves you will get the best sense of which male is best

again im all about flavor and choose mine with the flavor in mind

thanks some good advice so far , i hope i get a male that just stands out better than the rest ,with a colourfull hollow stem and a sweet intense smell , suppose i could always f2 and select from a larger pool if all else fails !

next year im hopeing to get a good blueberry male a good c99 male and a good northlights male
would be a good little stable to make some nice cross's

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
you could always freeze your pollen and use it when ever youlike, chimera has a good write up here on freezing pollen

growhi

you could always freeze your pollen and use it when ever youlike, chimera has a good write up here on freezing pollen

yeah iv read about that im just going to keep a few males in my mother tent , i just keep mothers of the best plants i find when poping seeds a few males in there as company wont hurt lol , some of chimeras plants are looking really good , you can really see the differnce from chimeras and ductch passions in terms of size and vigour

Gano

is there advantage to have hollow or red stem? wouldnt hollow stem mean perhaps less phloem/xylem? also would be weaker when big outdoor plant or weak when training in scrog type setups. just curious, i never grow this plant :)