What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experience with Durban Poison?

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Hey all
Looking for some information regarding Durban Poison.
It's offered by a few different breeders.

I know we have some info in the IC strainguide (I've looked at it) but I trust the info from you all directly a little more.

What I've gathered:
>finish mid sept-early october (40-50*N)
>fairly mold resistant
>tall lanky sativa pheno reaches 6-9ft
>bushier more compact indica pheno finishes a week or two earlier at 5-7ft (or shorter)
>type of high?

lots of reviews saying its pretty weak, any opionions?

I'm looking for anyone to contribute who has any kind of experience (1st or 2nd hand) about Durban Poison.

Not much time to make a decision which seeds to get so I need all the help I can get.

be well :joint:

_Haste_

wish i could answer your question.. i have been wondering the same myself for quite some time.. durban poison has always sounded appealing to me but i just havent seen it around much so it makes me wonder if its not so good, or the real deal is just not available.. it is my understanding that powerplant has some durban mixed into it..

Here is Nirvana DP:

Sorry for bad pic. Bushy african sativa, think it is going to take about 13-14 weeks. It has just started blooming properly now. Day 40 @ 12/12. Bad germination. 2/10 survived. 1 male, 1 female. No indica phenos in my pack. Seen pictures of Dutch Passion Durban and it is very indy. Nothing like Nirvana version.
Strechy as hell, but easy to HST/LST. Next time I would put it into flower asap, not veg it over 2 weeks. Potency I cannot say nothing yet. Should be paranoid inducing, trippy day smoke. :jump:

grandsrin

Hi!
I sugest you to go with dutch passion it's the best durban poison around.
It a good strain the high is not very complexe .But it s realy fun and POISON WHEN FRESH.
It s a good strain for north lat.It s not a land race so it need some nutes to grow propely .

Enjoy it and good grow

GS

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
grandsrin is right. Dutch Passions is the best available. The sensi seeds version has been hybridized, there are pheno's and differences in affect among the plants. Dps are consistent all around. Never hybridized.

There was a demonstration grow in high times a while back of Sensi's and Dp's grown out side by side. Ive grown Dps and it was a nice, tough, early plant with a good taste and buzz.

WelderDan

Veteran
I had three packs of Durban x Skunk freebies. Not a damn one germed. If DP's is the real deal, I might get around to running them. I'm looking for a short flowering Sativa to breed to some of my Indica stuff.

I grew dutchpassion Durban poison and they molded on me I grew them outside and harvest time is allways wet!!!!!for what I could save the high was great so if you could keepem dry growem!!!! They mold with lightning speed so watchem!!!keep it green;) or purple

indifferent

Veteran
Dutch Passion, Sensi and Nirvana DP are all crossed to Skunk and imho, garbage.

True DP is not at all sweet, it's dark, earthy, aniseed, licourice, strong, narcotic high with visual distortions. Takes 16 weeks or more and grows large but airy colas.

Sadly only place left to buy real DP is Afropips and they won't have em much longer as the owner sadly died.

G

Godless

Dutch Passion, Sensi and Nirvana DP are all crossed to Skunk and imho, garbage.

True DP is not at all sweet, it's dark, earthy, aniseed, licourice, strong, narcotic high with visual distortions. Takes 16 weeks or more and grows large but airy colas.

Sadly only place left to buy real DP is Afropips and they won't have em much longer as the owner sadly died.

Powerplant is some form of Durban with skunk as well. I wouldn't call PP garbage though - she is very sativa and finishes in 55 days with good sized colas. It is only barely skunky in aroma and mostly an earthy lemon smell. High is very up, but, as noted earlier, the high isn't very complex - not much euphoria.

Very sad to hear about Afropips - it seems that there are only a couple landrace seed cos left standing.

sensi's and dutch passion's is skunk. Even though also crossed to skunk, nirvana's is at least sativa dominant. Afropips' one is the real stuff like indifferent says.
There's never any reports about the high quality seeds one. I'm curious, it seems like a pure sativa to me..

KingV

is this durban

is this durban

This came to me as a cut and I also got some seeds. I was told it took a month to start flowering, and saw it almost ready and it looked like crap, vine-like stacking calyxes, leafy but calyxes were frosty. They were not good growers... Didn't get to smoke it. Should be pure from africa but who knows. What do you think?

Is Durban Poison = Lesotho?

mathias

Mi i'm very happy with mt three lady durban (nirvana ) , no mold , no grow probleme ..
And very interesting hight with one phéno (the only one harvest ) .
I grow landrace and greenhouse seed , durban poison are in a good position .

... and no mold

indifferent

Veteran
Hi King V, that looks very sativa and could well be a Durban, looks good so far, hope she pleases you in the end.

Hi Mathias, that Nirvana Durban looks very nice, way more sativa than when I grew it a few years ago, maybe they changed it, Nirvana do change things from time to time.

High Quality Seeds, you never see any grows of their stuff, HQS, Nirvana, DP, Growi Seeds, those all formed out of the wreckage of Positronics, which is why most of their ranges look similar, they were all based on the same Positronics originals. DP have changed their line-up a bit now, but if you go back a few years, the catalogues of DP, Nirvana, HQS and Growi were virtually the same.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
wow.......wow
thanks for all this information. keep it coming!

This has me leaning more and more to the Durban P. Dutch passion seems to be the most highly regarded Durban available at the moment. i might try out another version or twojust to test them out as well.

Grandsrin: thanks for the info. definitely stuff I want to know!

DS Toker MD: sounds like it would've been cool to see that shootout go down. always like a good side by side comparison.

WelderDan:better luck next time bro. hopefully you'llget 100% germ and a lot of females outa your next pack!

Strawbrrygirl: thanks for the tips and the well wishes! sorry to hear they molded on ya. hopefully this season is nicer for ya. Hopefully I miss the wettest part of the harvest season with these. I usually see a very wet early September and then it dries out for a month or so before first frost, though every year's different.

KingV:whatever it is, I like the look of it!

Mathias: that's an interesting looking DP for sure. don't see too many that size, but carrying all the right structure.

Indifferent: thanks for all the great info. your help is definitely appreciated. That aniseed smell description is used by a few of the breeders. you seem to know what you're talkin about here....so i'll listen.

thanks everybody who's contributed so far.
keep it coming!

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Maybe peek in to a few of Frank books. He's knows the source of original DP
Or maybe try writing him at HT
or heres a desciption from DP
Specifications: ~ Flower: 8 -9 weeks ~ Harvest: end of Sept. Dutch Passion catalog

South African (called Durban Poison cannabis seeds by some) is the most inconsistent or, more accurately, has the most strikingly different varieties of all marijuana originating from a single country If you come across what is called South African or Durban Poison cannabis seeds in the US, quite probably it originated from stock developed in the 1970's by breeders in the San Francisco Bay area.The unnamed breeder had two primary concerns-high potency and early flowering-and he succeeded wonderfully with both goals. This stock is perfect for the indoor gardener no matter what the growing conditions. This Durb an Poison strain has broad leaf blades almo st like Afghani b ut long internodes like sativas.
Stigmas may be pure white, red, pink, or a delicate purple. Branches grow with differing lengths like Thai, and the profile may be from an eight foot ovoid down to a four-foot squat bush. This Durban is fast-growing, hardy, very early to mature, very potent, tastily sweet or spicy, and fragrant. What more could a grower ask? - Mel Frank

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Afropips..... Got a half bow for headstash from a farmer friend long back.... Said the short bushy pheno is the stupid strong one..... It's what my bag was and it was A grade smoke ....... Flowers early

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I have some Durban Poison from a dispensary and I really really like it. The buds are kind of fluffy as you would expect from a pure sativa and it hits me pretty hard, a big sativa high for sure. If I can get some more I certainly intend to because it really does the job. Good luck.

Mathias, really nice looking landrace-looking plants there.

wow...i just checked out afropips website and they sound really legit. i would love to try some of their durban poison. or any of those other strains for that matter. they sound like ppl that are really trying to get legit genetics out there. can't believe i had never heard of that company before.

KingV

I took few more pictures for this thread. Plants are now 13on/11off, I want to see if she starts flowering. So far, SK#1 and Brainstorm have started to flower, no sign from dp.

Mathias: Thanks for your pics! They do look like the mother plant i saw in flower. Buds were more sparse though.

I'll let her grow into a monster if she wants, but I'm not sure if I can let her go to end.

G

Guest50138

Here a Durban x Skunk from a couple of years ago Sams freebie's smelled like passionfruit and was a stella smoke ,no way I would describe it as weak! finished end march 40deg south
picture.php
picture.php