What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does more pressure equal higher yield in Rosin presses?

v1ru5

For example, if one press offers 10000 of pressure. Psi, whatever unit, this is just to make an example. And another one offers 20000 of pressure. And third one 40000 of pressure...

If I get 1% yield at 10000 pressure units...

Do I get 2% at 20000 pressure units?

And therefore again at 40000 do I get double, e.g. 4% yield?

Or is there a "wall" you will hit after certain amount of pressure? (e.g. "there is no point having more than 20000 units of pressure coz after that yield doesnt increase")

Can it affect the potency? That after certain maximum amount of pressure the quality degrades?

I've been wondering about this when looking at some rosin presses. :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Short answer no! It is a factor of time and temp. Although pressure does play a large part, it is the former that gets you the gold.

v1ru5

You sound like you have some insight into this rosin thing!

Can you refer some study material for me?

What is the sweet spot you think for temps? Short guide to Temps on making rosin by Switcher56 please?

PS. Graph that has yield on vertical and temperature on horizontal axis, maybe?

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v95qxxm6Ius That is but one. A little research goes a long way. Just type what you are looking for in the YT search, vice a google search.
[/FONT]

I truly believe bud quality determines yield. ie if the bud was grown lovingly and properly, and flushed correctly, you will spit fire out of that press really regardless of the settings. I like to press low and slow and max out at 20,000 psi. more often than not my rosin comes off as white as the center of an oreo cookie.

there Is a huge scope for experimentation with rosin so I will never say there is one true method above all else.:tiphat:

plate size plays a big part too. the dispersion of pressure will correlate to the yield and somewhat to the quality. for that reason I find the best personal extracts are squished a gram or 2 at a time on the 3" x 4" plates. I also have a 6" x 12" plate press that a buddy of mine and I built. it can do 30,000psi and has and electro-hydraulic pump with a button control. that's a good one for smashing out bulk but it never yields as high as gram for gram (but this is to be expected). if you are going for personal and not mass production the small press plates are the way to go.