What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Brothers Grimm C99 and 630w CMH, in dwc!!!

Raho:

Measurements were taken at roughly 12 inches from bulb. Locations were random across the tent. The hugher reqdings were closest to the center of the tent. The reflector is a hydrofarm commercial DE open reflector fixture. Unfortunately I'm out of head room and I am having to super crop the stems in the middle directly under the light. If the continuing super cropping works, I'll stick with that technique for the remainder. It's not ideal, but I want to finish this run in the current tent.

Tangerine kush
picture.php

C99 #5
picture.php

Part way through week 3 and they are starting to look like they mean business!

I didn't want to do it , but they made me! I got them the space they needed. They now have half of my gorilla 5x9 tent to finish flower in. Luckily I already had the 1 foot height extension already installed on the tent. So much for this being a 2x4 tent grow ha ha. So roughly 4 and a half foot square canopy with 700w cmh parked at 16 inches above the canopy. For the other half of the tent I've got a cmh bulb running off of my 1000w phantom commercial DE ballast dimmed to 600w. That one is for my other half's veggie dwc tote I've got going. I'll post pictures tomorrow. It's also looking like I'm going to have to stake and spread branches to make better use of the extra space. I'm not gonna lie, I don't mind having extra room to work.

It is a 630w CMH bulb dimmed to 600w with my phantom. Bulb manufacturer recommends using it with a low frequency square wave ballast. It's better for bulb life if you do. So far no issues with running it with the phantom other than a small output difference.

Where are my manners.... I promised weekly updates. So we are almost to the end of week 4 and some major things have been going on both inside the grow tent and in life in general. Lest start with the tent. I promised pictures and they are below. The reason I swapped tents is due to the canopy reaching within 12" of the top tent frame of the 2x4 tent. That means no room for head space between bulb and canopy. I browned 2 tops trying to tame the beasts by super cropping. I am ashamed to say I failed. My personal thoughts on why they grew so tall- summer temps kept the resivoir temps a few degrees warmer than normal (cooler temps at root zone stunt growth), my proficiency with hydro and reading plants is helping me keep them healthy which increases growth rates, and I should have put them into bloom sooner. Normally I get away with letting them get between 18" and 24" before I start bloom. The other part I'm guessing at and didn't account for was seed vigor with the c99. She is top notch and deserves respect.

So tangerine kush is still leading the charge in both resin and bud development still. Tk is swelling nicely and I'm probably going to have to stake and tie her up as she puts on weight. All 3 c99 are stacking up and are showing signs of possibly being just as frost as tangerine. I think they will just take a few days to a week longer than the tangerine to finish. They are still on the mellow side as far as scent goes. Personally I don't mind that at all. C99 #3 and #4 are doing their best to impersonate trees. They are the biggest plants height wise I've grown yet. While I'm sure they won't rival the tk from last grow, I'm pretty sure both of them will yield between a quarter and a half pound each.

Environment wise the 5x9 tent is working nicely. Ambient temp of garage is 67°F. Temp in the tent is 77°F. The kicker is I'm running a single 6"hyper fan at 40% speed to achieve This! So it seems all my girls are happy in their new home.

Outside the tent, well life has been interesting. I've got a new house that I am in the process of negotiating to buy. If all goes well, I'll have a house with a nice sized shop to play in. Exciting part is I might be starting a small indoor cultivation facility. It will be my experimental lab :woohoo: . I'll be able to sell what I grow to dispensaries, play with whatever genetics I want without plant count limits, and mess with whatever grow styles/methods I want! I'm not going to lie, there is a bunch of paperwork and not fun stuff that has to happen first. I'm going into this with the idea of making my hobby pay for itself. I'll be limited to 500 sq ft of area under cultivation. This isn't a bad thing as bigger means more work and bigger problems. We shall see what happens!

The promised pictures:
After a light defoaliation
picture.php

picture.php

Tangerine kush
picture.php

C99 #5
picture.php

saitama

3000umols? I was frying my plants at 1300umols. Have you taken your meter out in the sunlight at noon and seen how it reads? I have the same meter. My first one was really out of whack reading over 3k in the sunlight. It should be l around 2200umols in the sun. I sent it back and the new one is much more accurate.

Anyway man your ladies look lovely. I'm subbed. Always wanted to see a c99 grow.

gh0stm0de

I was sleeping on the cindys at first, but late out the gate does not inherently translate to finishing in last place in terms of yield or quality. They sure seem To be teeming with flower development. But the tk is hard to beat for trich production having frosty calyxes at 3 weeks so cindys work is cut out if its going to catch up. Hope that the terps develop more for you. I know you didnt want to switch tents but this should be great for your bottom line.

Saitama, how certain do you feel that you did not fry your plants due to temperature? What bulb did you use at what distance? The intensity alone should not cause that effect, but instead the heat that comes with achieving that intensity. The meter he is using is accurate - he was much closer to canopy than typical de bulbs are able to achieve @ 12".

Are you familiar with the inverse square law?

"a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity"

What that means is twice the distance means 1/4 the intensity. So to achieve high intensity the source must be close. This usually means dangerous levels of heat at 12". However, 2 significant variables are at play here:

FF has great ambient temps, and he is using a lamp that produces less heat than de hps.

Last edited:
Saitama welcome to the show! I agree the readings are high. Definitely super intense. My take on the cmh bulbs is that they don't put out as much infrared heat. At 9 inches I browned 2 cola tips, so it will still fry them. I'm also really digging the fact that my fan speeds can slow down due to not having to vent as much heat. The buds are small at the moment, but they have some nice density. If this keeps up as they swell, the density will be on par with my runs under 750w DE. I've been wanting to run C99 for quite a while. I wanted to run the original breeders take on it. Which means I had to wait on the new release from brothers Grimm. Speak g of which, they have a growing selection of crosses that look promising. They also started releasing feminized seeds as well. Might be worth it to grab a bag of beans and go looking for a good cut yourself!

Junk

I smash 'em with light. So long as the leaf temp is under control (and temps in general), I give them as much as they will handle.

Never had the pleasure of measuring what they are getting though. For a while I was using the dual bulb raptor with a 1k MH and a 1k HPS over 6 plants. Smash'em!

Junk, I like your style. I have plans on moving the 600w set up over the canopy tomorrow. This will bring the wattage total up to 1300w of DE cmh lighting over a 5x5 space. I'm gonna start the lights out at 16 inches and possibly lower them a little, depending on par spread. Unfortunately I didn't plan on a 5x5 grow so the canopy is a little thin for my liking. Gaps in canopy equal wasted potential to me. Oh well. I got the charcoal filter moved to the new bloom tent tonight and I removed the butternut squash and sugar snap peas from the veggie tote. They were trying to take over my tent! I left the romanesco broccoli as it isn't causing any trouble. The lettuce was harvested this morning. Dwc veggies are neat to grow if you have the space. Also a warning, tomatoes will take over a tent as well. My personal fav non cannabis plant to grow is strawberries. My next batch of strawberry plants will probably be a mix of everbearing tristar/ozark beauty strawberries and pineberries (white strawberries that supposedly taste similar to pineapple). The strawberries will be grown hydroponically. I've got an idea for a vertical design I dreamed up. I will include it if I ever pull the trigger and anyone is interested.

I've always wanted to grow strawberries, hydro style , either DWC or coco , maybr this spring I'll pop my cherry , do you have any tips with your veggie experience ?? and that's a lot of light for a 5x5 , I've stopped using hid bulbs and went the led route , I realized that having one point of light isn't as effective as say 12 for spread and consistency of the light , but the readings on the CMH are high , looking great bro , FSG.

Strawberries are pretty easy. My first run with them was an oddity. It was a goofy idea that happened to work. The method was a cross between hempy bucket and dwc. At the time I hadn't heard of hempy buckets yet. What I did was stack 2 small plastic containers inside each other. The bottom container was the resivoir. Airstones in the resivoir. The upper container had a bunch of holes in the bottom, lined the bottom with an inch of hydroton, then filled the rest with fox farm ocean forest. The idea was to have the bubbles pop and capillary action would wick water to plant roots. It worked beautifully. A 10" by 16" area gave me a small handful of strawberries about once a week. I believe they were tristar strawberries. It was a super low maintenance set up.

Advice with growing them is read about how they grow. Lots of info via Google. Get strawberry starts from a reputable greenhouse or online. Starks is a good place to start. They don't need much by way of nutrients. At the time I was using advanced nutrients bloom for them. The veggie tote is fed with maxibloom with spectacular results. Treat them just like pot plants. Feed them and keep an eye on ppm to gauge how much they eat vs drink and adjust ppm from there. Also don't forget to add beneficials! I'm also contemplating growing other berry producing plants that are everbearing. Fruit plants are fun to grow. Also it's nice to have fresh fruit on hand. Be advised you may become addicted. At least with the strawberries, they test better than store bought. Way way more flavor than store bought! Terps for days lol!

Week 5 mid week update! The garden is doing very well. Only c99 #3 seems a little unhappy. She had 2 nanner clusters with 1 to 2 nanners each show up. For curiosity I will let them develop. I could use some extra feminized seeds. I am not sure what made her stress out. Ph and ppm were no different than the rest of the garden. Speaking of which I topped off the resivoirs monday with straight tap water. Yesterday I checked ph and ppm levels. Ph ranged from 6.1 to 6.3 and ppm ranged from 850 to 950. C99 #5 had some fan leaves starting to get a lighter green color up top so she got a dose of cal mag for good measure. Everyone got a dose of orca. Overall the tangerine kush is at least a week ahead of all the c99 at this point. Everyone is packing on tricomes and the tent definitely is starting to smell good. It's a nice floral funk. No skunks hiding here! I will probably be swapping the 600w phantom setup out with my 4 bulb t5 fixture. This will get the veggie tote sufficient light. My clones in the veg tent need the bigger light at this point. All plants have great density already. There will be some fluff at the bottom, but the mid sections of the plants are getting some decent density as well. There will be golf ball buds below the main colas, which is a first for me. Normally I run a super thick canopy which doesn't allow for very good light penetration. The extra space has definitely come in handy for opening up the canopy!

Looks like it's a green light on moving. This round should be coming down right before we close on the new house. Going to be interesting. At least I won't have to move them while in full bloom. Anyhow here is how they look currently.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Part way through week 6 and things are getting interesting. Turns out c99 #5 has some purple genes. Some of her calyxes are turning purple! Pretty nifty. The new c99 has a few documented purple phenos showing up. This isn't from cold stress either. Also worth noting I have stuck a dehumidifier in the tent to drop the rh. It's been raining here forbthe last few weeks pretty steady and 50% late in bloom hasn't ended well for me in the past. #5 is maturing faster than the other 2 Cindy's, and has tricomes turning cloudy already. What are y'alls preference for % Amber with Cindy?
picture.php

Crazy Chester

They're coming along nicely, FrozenFire. My preference is to harvest when I first see a few ambers. But, with C99, I'm looking for the best of its sativa characteristics. Your preferences may vary. Good luck on the remainder of your grow!

Latest posts

Latest posts