What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Key Points Of Harvest Time

Wrams

No it's not set in stone how you harvest it's just a general help and probably best practices thats all. Each person harvests in different ways and to be honest it's up to the grower. However I do beleive that this method is far more superior than most others I have read. This has worked for me time and time again and on other foums they love this post and follow it with fantastic results. If there happy, I'm happy :p

Z

Ziggaro

All of that sounded good except... cutting a few hours before the lights come on.. I was told by someone that i should cut after the lights have been on for a couple hours.... anybody.......

Somebody told you wrong..

There were a couple of points I thought could use some better explanation...

The darkening of trichomes is degrading THC, but its' conversion into another cannabinoid lengthens the effect. It also gives you more of a stoned affect, which is why many growers on here wait until 20-50% of trichomes are amber on indica varieties.

I think curing takes longer... Cannabis books recommend 2-3 weeks drying time and then 2-3 weeks cure. If you only dry for 1 week you should add to your cure time. I always smoke my bud while its curing, but I don't feel like it has the right taste and smell until 3-4 weeks after a 1 week dry.

Bud otherwise I thought it was a great post.. keep up the good work! K+

Grimr3efer

Air dry time varries. Mostly depending on your conditions Temp/humidity. The lower the air temp (60 degress) will take longer to air dry than hotter temps (80+). Humidity has a role here. If humidity is high 65+ it will take longer to air dry that it would if its low like 20%. So everyone determines their conditions and make adjustments to make proper cure. I may hang my plants for 3 or so days if its 80+ degrees and put them into brown bags (coupple more days) turning the herb regular (2 x day)before jaring. I deal is to have a cure room tahs 60 degress temp and 50-60 % humidity. With thoes ideal conditions you can harvest and hang for a solid week maybe longer before you bag em then jar em. Good info in here. Remember to flush!!!

Wrams

Air dry time varries. Mostly depending on your conditions Temp/humidity. The lower the air temp (60 degress) will take longer to air dry than hotter temps (80+). Humidity has a role here. If humidity is high 65+ it will take longer to air dry that it would if its low like 20%. So everyone determines their conditions and make adjustments to make proper cure. I may hang my plants for 3 or so days if its 80+ degrees and put them into brown bags (coupple more days) turning the herb regular (2 x day)before jaring. I deal is to have a cure room tahs 60 degress temp and 50-60 % humidity. With thoes ideal conditions you can harvest and hang for a solid week maybe longer before you bag em then jar em. Good info in here. Remember to flush!!!

Your right air times do differ from strain to strain due to the density of buds. Also I remove all my bud and place it in a drying tent with a 6" clip on fan pointed towards the ground away from buds just to circulate the air in the tent. I try to keep humidity at a constant level and usually cure for about 2 - 4 weeks myself. The above curing time is a general time scale, each strain dependant of how dense the buds are. Most of my curing consists of 4 weeks where I will sample the bud every few days until I am satisfied of taste/texture and smell and most inportant the hi I get from it :)

why do you dry in the dark? wouldnt it be better to dry with some light? would the plants not continue to produce resin until they dry too much, without light wouldnt they go into a "hibernation" and quit doing anything?

I get the idea of drying in light from what I've read that its the uv light that causes heavy resin production as well as to keep from drying out. and that I've heard of using a bunch of reptile uv lights in your grow room during flowering to increase resin production. so where am I wrong in my thinking? anyone?

Wrams

I get the idea of drying in light from what I've read that its the uv light that causes heavy resin production as well as to keep from drying out. and that I've heard of using a bunch of reptile uv lights in your grow room during flowering to increase resin production. so where am I wrong in my thinking? anyone?

Drying your buds in light dries them to quickly and I've done both and the weed I dry in the dark is much better than weed dried in light. I have many many friends who all grow cannabis and each one dries in the dark tent or cardboard box with tiny holes in to allow air to be drawn into the box which helps with drying but not to much.

Wrams

Here I found this from a repitable holland growers blog which if I am allowed I will post the link but heres what he has to say about drying.

Cut down, trim, and drying 101

Now comes the fun part! Time to get those scissors sticky. For this part of the procedure, you will need a good pair of trimming scissors.Many garden nurseries and hardware stores carry appropriate models with small enough blades to get the marijuana bud leaves and comfortable handles for hours of work. A small closet or room is all you will need for drying a personal harvest. Larger grows may need more though. But for just a few weed plants, a small closet will work fine. Enough clothesline or rope to wire across your small room is all that you will need to hang your branches, but make sure its attached well on each end. You don't want to come in and find your precious stash on the floor!

Temperature

Temperature in the space should be between 70 and 80°F, with the lower to mid-range preferable.The closet should also be able dark. At this point, heat and UV rays are the two main enemies of THC, the active ingredient in your weed buds. A small oscillating fan is a must as well. Also advisable is a gauge to measure the humidity in the room. This is especially important in areas such as a basement or tropical climates, as too much humidity will extend the drying time and perhaps bring on mold in the marijuana buds.

The section your refering to is in bold text.

ok I get that the light degrades the thc/resin heads. However my thought is while the plant is still alive the first days wouldnt the light cause it to produce more resin to prevent the dryout?
and then when its dead or almost dead put it in the dark.

and yes the temps would need to be kept lower

just a thought, not trying to change the way anyone does it.

calstar

thanks

thanks

Just discovered this thread this morning(so much info on ic its hard to find the gems). Awesome, and thanks for all the work you put in to share this. I'm several weeks away from cut and this really helps me sort it all out.

Last edited:

silver.surfer

when you determine that the buds are cured to your liking, what do you do? How do you stop them from curing more? How do you store them?

Wrams

You can store them in big jiffy bags or a brown unbleached bag. Store it in a container that has a breathing hole or simply place it in some sort of pouch. To be honest I place my in one of those huge smell proof bags you can get from pipe and cannabis related stores that sales scales, pipes, rolling papers etc. I split mine into 4 different amounts of equal weight and then store them in my wardrobe or computer desk, aslong as its not dark and air tight is won't cure anymore.

Theres so many different ways to store weed. My suggestion to you would be use Google and look on websites like HighTimes and YouTube because they have so much info on how to store weed that you would think most of it wasn't possible.

Remember though weed does have a use by date and I've had weed go off after 12 months where it was no longer anygood. Mind you at the time I did have nearly 100oz's :D I did a grow with a friend and had 65 plants plus as the time I let a friend HAVE some ;) for FREE :tongue:

I'm sure other members on here will have there own personal storing devices that work good. Do not just take my word for it as different strains store differently and cure differently.

A

argoagro

During the drying of marijuana buds, THC is converted from an acidic, non-psychoactive chemical into a neutrally based, psychoactive form that gets you high.

Who the hell told you that?

Wrams

Explain to me how it happens then..?

Who the hell told you that...?
Thats what you asked but you have not argued the point with your own version of how and what happens during this process.

If you think its wrong shouldn't you explain the reasons behind why you think this is wrong..? It will help others understand what happens during the curing process.

Wrams

This thread needs to be deleted

For what reason...? Is there a reason it should be deleted...?

If Admin want to delete it I'm sure they will however it was put up for the sole purpose of helping members harvest and what to look out for in the plant to show signs of plants being ready to harvest.

Still looking forward to a reason why it should be deleted..?