What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 minute guide to happy growing ;)

So, I´m a newbie as my nick should indicate, however, being a newbie I´ve had some questions that I now see that most newbies has.

So here goes:

First some tech info

Reliable seedbanks:
The ones . you find here among others, don´t do like I did the first time! Just looking for low price, not checking forums..... They will germinate, but dna isn´t very good.

LIGHTS

CFL (low energy, fluo tubes is the same)
Great for seedlings, and are very decent if you use a 300w. However, most growers would only use it as an xtra lightsource. Soft/2700K for flowering, and white/6500K for veg. I believe a combo 70/30 in the various stages is best.

CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide)
The ones that uses these will never go back to conventional MH/HPS. Closest specter to the sun, extreme results on smaller grows. Only available in "low" wattages

MH (Metal Halide)
Great for veg state, but not a good source for flovering since the red spectrum is very low.

HPS (High Pressure Sodium)
The growers fav, good as an overall lamp, but will not have a very good blue specter.

LED
I like LED! But I would (and will) use it as an xtra source combined with HPS.
Take a look at some of the results a 90w UFO gives and you will be amazed! And don´t listen to those talking about lumens, LED penetrates in a different way, and is a very good source for plants.

Reflecting is another thing close to lights, but if you don´t want to buy mylar and other costly reflective materials: Survivalblankets are very good and cheap. Whitepaint is preferable to aluminiumfoil....

OTHER sources
Not mentioned? Then its either useless, very expensive or very rare.....

Thumbrule on distance:
Keep your hand under it for 20sec, if it doesn´t bother you it probably won´t harm your plants.

SOIL
I´m growing soil, I will eventually go over to hydro, but for now my research is just soil.
Most tend to agree on a mix of 1/3 perlite, 1/3 soil and 1/3 organic material.
Personally I mix a commercial with perlite. Be aware that many soil mixes are full of fertilizer/nutes, so be carefull not to overdo it!
Check out the PH on the soil, should be between 5-6,5 (things you add will probably raise the PH)

NUTES/FERTILIZER
Best tip? Choose nutes made for MJ, if u have problems getting it find something that will be ok for tomatos.
Veg stage: Needs "high" lvls of N
Flo stage: Needs "high" lvls of P

NO NUTES for atleast 14days from planting the seedling, then start with 1/4 dosage, gradually increase. A MJ plant can almost take anything, but it need to adjust/get used to it first. Back of if tips get burned, and go back to previous dosage for a while.
Some gives nutes every time, but most agree on evry 2nd.

PH
Some of the best growers give a damn about PH, others will carefully monitor.
Ideally it should be around 6. There are various ways to measure, I use PH strips that most pharmacies will have.

WATERING
Seedlings: Humid, high lvl of air humidity
Plant, humid, beneficial drying out once in a while, then flush (overwater it with water 3 times the pot size, this is however not a weekly process, when u see that your plant stop developing as an example). Some good growers will flush every time they water.
Every plant is like a human, would you ask how much water a 16 year old should drink? Or would you give when he asks for water? Plants are the same, read the signs.

SEX
Sex is difficult.... Low PH, high humidity may influence a seed going over to the female side. But if you have one plant growing much faster then the others it is probably a male.
For sexing you should wait until you have grown it ;) Then check out the threads.... Don´t worry about it at this stage!
So you got a male? You can make butter of him (recipes all over ;) ), experiment, collect pollen (many good guides for this here on IC)to make your own seeds, but keep him away from the ladies.....
female seeds are NO guarantee, but gives approximately 80% females.

CO2
Co2 is essential for the plant, it´s their "oxygen". It may be beneficial putting a co2 "generator in a closet or tent, but in an open room it will not do wonders, actually you talking/singing to them will probably help more.... Plants can take a lot of co2, so you won't cause problems putting some xtra co2 around them.

Temperature and humidity
Humidity, veg state below 90%, flow stage below 50%.
Temperatures below 21 C (70 F) is bad, over 35c (95F) is also bad. Ideal is between 25-30c (75-85F approx)

Seed, and germinating.....
First of all, nature has done it for billions of years, so there is no magic about it, don´t stress and they will come out!!

There are various ways to germ., you have commercial germinating sets, but most puts it inbetween humid papertowels in a dark place after soaking the seed in a glass of water for 12hrs. I think its enough with half an hour, its just to trigger some chem processes. Personally having some education in plants/growing I use cotton, just moist it and let it stay dark. It may take up to 4 days, but they will normally germinate in24-48hrs.
My cotton method has so far given me close to 100% germination, but find the one that suits you!
A germinated seed should be planted with the root tip upwards!!! But they will grow upwards eventually, just to help them out a bit.

Increase yield initially:

LST (low stress training), can be started very early.
Bending a plant so that other parts will get enough light to produce buds (simple explanation, I know ;) )
Example: http://www.indoormarijuanaseeds.com/images/low-stress-training.jpg

Topping/pinching:
It really just divides the main stem (or more) to produce 2 (or more) colas.
Example: http://www.rollitup.org/advanced-marijuana-cultivation/151706-uncle-bens-topping-technique-get.html

And there are many many more.....

Transplanting

Let the plant stay in shade for 24hrs in humid (not wet) soil, this will stimulate roots to get a grip/search for water.

Health Problems:

Most problems are related to watering and nute problems, but when you get to that point there are so many threads with pics and stuff that you will easily find.
But if you choose the lazy way asking in your own thread, post PICS of it!!!! How should they help you otherwise???

Light cycles
24/0Seedlings mainly, IMO plants need to rest as well...
20/4, Veg stage
16/8, Veg stage
12/12, flowering stage, can be started from seedling if you like.

Some pointers:

Keep i easy and low cost the first time, don´t spend thousands if you´re not cut out for it!
Have a small ventilator in the room, it will strenghten stems and make your plants happy....

Clean!!!! Everything should be tidy, and cleaned as often as possible. Don´t go in to your grow room if just worked in your garden. Risk for transporting insects and pests is very high....

Missing a lot? Well, heres the thing, I just gave you a good start, why not search out flowering, harvesting and so on by yourself? You´ll do yourself a favour.... If you dont get it by then come back and ask....!

Try to grow a tomato plant, if you have success with that you should be able to grow your MJ.

DO NOT OVERWATER!!!! Most common error! Been there, done that! So remember, humid is good, soaked is very very bad! ;)

Plan your growth, when, where and so on, plan that you wont have to change pot more than once, your plant will love you for it!

That was it for now, and to the experts, this is a black and white tip, I´m a newbie, so I write like one. Hopefully those that should understand will ;) But if I left out essential stuff feel free to fill out the gaps.
Thx to riddleme and several others in various forums......

jm420

Veteran
You dont need to post links to other sites .Everything can be found here @ IC.As far as seed banks Its frowned on here to mention other banks since the sponsers here have there own wich is Gypsy and and the bay,both of wich are very reputable.

I never even used it, but in most forums this is the name that come up. But I´m sure the ones you mention are reliable. If someone would make one sentence in my post a problem, so be it......

They would completely miss the point, and I for one would be amazed ;)

ibjamming

Veteran
I'll agree with everything you've got there. And I'll add that Seedbay/boutique are ALSO very reliable. And many times a bit cheaper.

Besides...they are paying for this site...throw them an order.

Best advice...keep it SIMPLE your first grow.

Nice post...I think all beginners would benefit reading it. I would have!

I'll agree with everything you've got there. And I'll add that Seedbay/boutique are ALSO very reliable. And many times a bit cheaper.

I'll throw out what I've found in my seed distributor research. Seedboutique, along with competitive prices, has their shipping methods down to a science (a big concern for those of us in the states). Everything I've read gives props to Gypsy in his stealth shipment methods.

:ying: If you're like me, and security is a MAJOR issue, then you really can't go wrong with SB...Good prices, good shipping, and good quality :ying:

Dojo

simple medium for me is hempy bucket with perlite and some hydroton...i tried soil and had hell of problems.. i can be in my grow everyday so handwatering every 2-3 days is perfect for me...thing is i wish i would of discovered this method BEFORE i brought all the nic nacs for DWC...cause now im assed out with no air scrubber and pumps and tubes ill prolly NEVER use

Well, great, then we agree on this, and I will order from them eventually. At least as a thx for making and supporting this site....

But, and this is a big but...., one sentence in my post does not make this a seed shop thread ;)

ibjamming

Veteran
Well, great, then we agree on this, and I will order from them eventually. At least as a thx for making and supporting this site....

But, and this is a big but...., one sentence in my post does not make this a seed shop thread ;)

Agreed...we just wanted to make sure you knew that the owners of this site have a good reliable seedbank too...there's nothing wrong with Attitude, I've used them both, unfortunately, they don't carry the same "brands".

Usually...silence means you're good to go. We only comment on that which we disagree...you implied Attitude was "the" place to go for seeds...it is "a" place, and it's a good place. Bay/Boo is also a good place...we "corrected" it...that's all.

I said every new grower should see it...it's a good overview.

How about lights? There is a minimum that is needed for decent buds. Suggest an amount per sq footage of canopy. How about ventilation? It's really important too. How much CFM do you need per CF of growing space? That kind of stuff would be good to include too.

I've thought about going the other way...describing the bare minimum needed to get a decent yield of decent bud. Just plain how to grow for the least cost. Cheap soil or what you HAVE to do to it to make it "good enough". Cheap nutes like Miracle Grow. Least amount of light you HAVE to have. Least ventilation. But I don't want to "waste" a whole crop...

It's a good post...now be sure to follow your own advice when you do your own. Especially the part about watering. It's the single biggest killer of young plants. I know...I've killed my share.

Oh...add something about doing a test with something cheap first. I feel for these kids who save up $100 for some seeds only to kill them. Get something from Nirvana for 1/4 that...it's OK stuff...and kill those first...

Good luck!

Agreed...we just wanted to make sure you knew that the owners of this site have a good reliable seedbank too...there's nothing wrong with Attitude, I've used them both, unfortunately, they don't carry the same "brands".

I haven´tused any of them, and reciding in Spain I found a good local one ;) But I will order to support when I need more seeds

Usually...silence means you're good to go. We only comment on that which we disagree...you implied Attitude was "the" place to go for seeds...it is "a" place, and it's a good place. Bay/Boo is also a good place...we "corrected" it...that's all.

No prob, didn´t get offended, didn´t realize the connections, thats all :)

I said every new grower should see it...it's a good overview.

And I appreciate it very much!

How about lights? There is a minimum that is needed for decent buds. Suggest an amount per sq footage of canopy. How about ventilation? It's really important too. How much CFM do you need per CF of growing space? That kind of stuff would be good to include too.

Yes, you are probably right, but this is for people not having a clue, if I say 1gr per watt that would be near optimal, the rest would be guessing, if I say 250w pr sq foot would that enlighten the ones using CFL, LED, CMH or just HMS/MH? There is so much info around that it actually confuses most beginners, I wrote this to keep things simple, and supposing they are experimenting with their first grow. And I honestly believe that the info I gave covers what one need to start a good 1st grow(?)

I've thought about going the other way...describing the bare minimum needed to get a decent yield of decent bud. Just plain how to grow for the least cost. Cheap soil or what you HAVE to do to it to make it "good enough". Cheap nutes like Miracle Grow. Least amount of light you HAVE to have. Least ventilation. But I don't want to "waste" a whole crop...

Most starters will put it in a spare room, in a cabinet, in the garden and many many other places, so if I should describe all grow setups it wouldn´t be simple anymore would it?

It's a good post...now be sure to follow your own advice when you do your own. Especially the part about watering. It's the single biggest killer of young plants. I know...I've killed my share.

LOL, u should have given me that advice when I started my first ;) Actually I´m doing very well with my 250w HPS on 5 plants, can be compared with most pics I´ve seen on 250w grows, and I followed every advice I gave, including high humidity/low PH, 5 out of 6 reg seeds came out female :)

Oh...add something about doing a test with something cheap first. I feel for these kids who save up $100 for some seeds only to kill them. Get something from Nirvana for 1/4 that...it's OK stuff...and kill those first...

Totally agree with you! Bag seed or cheap seeds will do fine the first time.

Good luck!

Thx, hopefully my effort will compensate for my usually lack of luck :D :tiphat:

And just to underline it, I ment no disrespect, and appreciate your words and suggestions :) And feel free to add info if you feel for it...

Have a good one! :wave:

Have been thinking about it, the fans that Ibjamming mentions.

One very important thing is that intake/exhaust should be have the same spec/potency. If not you will have heatproblems.... Just a fact!

And for Gods sake, I can´t be right in everything so please comment and fill inn the gaps ;)

ibjamming

Veteran
OK...you asked...MY take on some of the things here...

Check out the PH on the soil, should be between 5-6,5 (things you add will probably raise the PH) 5 is too low for soil...good for hydro.

NO NUTES for atleast 14days from planting the seedling
I'm not sold on this. I plant in a potting mix that's .5 .5 .5 and use perlite with nutes, and I add Espoma starter which has fertilizer. I'm of the opinion that it's overwatering and pH that kills the seedlings and everyone attributes it to "too hot" a soil. Why can half the people kill seedlings in FFOF and the other half get spectacular results? I think it's the growers mistakes more than the soil. I saw a side by side with Jiffy pots, Miraclr Grow potting soil, and something else...not FFOF...at least I don't think so. Anyway...the premade "hot" soils walked all over the jiffy pot...One looked like those beautiful starter plants you see in spring at the garden center...the other wasn't far behind...and the jiffy pot? Well it looked like some of the pictures of sick plants we see here...skinny, not as green, much behind the others.

A germinated seed should be planted with the root tip upwards!!! But they will grow upwards eventually, just to help them out a bit. ??? Plant with the root pointing down...but I don't germinate outside the soil. I soak overnight (sometimes) and then plant in the soil for germination. Why touch it and risk damage if you don't have to?

Most problems are related to watering and nute problems And pH. If you have "good water", you never have to worry about pH. I don't have good water, it's 8+ sometimes 9 with 300PPM (.3 EC). The hardness is OK...the pH isn't. I killed a LOT of babies until I figued out that my tap water pH changes throughout the year. I use rainwater whenever possible...

Like I said...a good place to get a general outline...good thread.

I think I like you Ibjamming ;)

Soil is normally sold with a PH between 5-6,5, it will rise when adding nutes, water and other stuff you find handy giving your girls, but I agree, 5 is too low.

I wrote no nutes for 14 days based on most growers recomendations, personally i use 1/4 strength from the start, they seem to be ok with that.

Gedrmination, this is when the little snake breaks trough the shell, the tip should be pointing upwards when planted (not my belief, more like natures even though she fucks that up herself most of the times ;) )

Watering problems, I agree, but the PH is maybe the most difficult prob to cope with/adjust. What I found that will lower soils PH is liquid humus, this in addition to help N uptake. In addition I would recomend a Brita mug, plants love the water when it is free from heavy minerals and things.

But yes, I agree with you more or less, and my info is based on most growers, not necessarly my way :)