What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chelates

glow

Why are you talking about Round Up then if you grow hydroponically? Who gives a shit - it isn't ever used in hydroponics, nor is it a chelator which is why you are miles off topic. Why not start a thread about round up in hydroponics:) That'd be quite funny. It would also mean that you could stop dragging this thread off topic.

milkyjoe

Veteran
I did not say I grow hydroponically either. I tend to grow in peat/compost/drainage amendment mixes using anywhere from pure salt mixes to mostly organic but with tainio pepzyme clear plus micro 5000 and pz 1000... none of those organic.

You admit round up interferes with enzymes. Yet you do nott ask yourself how it interferes. Toyota engineers use to always ask why one more time.

I suggest you seek true root cause. It can be quite enlightening.

Until you prove otherwise I say round up is a chelator. I admit I am fucked up but one of us is making no sense at all

milkyjoe

Veteran
Stick with me on this glow. If you take several bottles of round up and add different levels of zn and mn to them...from a little bit to toxic levels of both. And...at some levels the round up becomes ineffective...how would you explain that?

milkyjoe

Veteran
In fact here is my design of experiment. I took 10 sod chunks out of a nearby weed field.l..1 x 1 ft x 6 inches deep to the best of my ability. Based on round up bottle instructions I took 10 samples of round up that should have killed the weeds. To the first sample I afded nothing...then 1 ppm zn and 9 ppm mn...on up to 10 and 90 and added that to the round up.

Admittedly I had no clue what a standard deviation was and therefore could not calculate a confidence interval. Still...somewhere in there I saw 3 samples where the weeds stayed perfectly healthy.

Proof...no. but still prove me wrong. Isnt that what the scienific method is all about

I ain't the one claiming to be a scientist

pinkus

Veteran
For the love of god shut up about round up in a CHELATION thread!!!

whew, I feel better.

theother

Sorry mate I don't know anything about aurora soul synthetics so no idea on that front.

Amino acids I suspect have a big future in hydroponics in general. The key difference between amino acid chelates and synthetic chelates is that the plant has an amino acid cycle. So, for instance, nitrate nitrogen is taken by the roots and then undergoes a complex series of events... That is, when nitrate nitrogen (NO3–N) is provided to plants it first needs to be uptaken and translocated from the roots of the plant through the xylem. It is then absorbed by a mesophyll cell via one of the nitrate−proton symporters into the cytoplasm and reduced to nitrite (NO2) by nitrate reductase enzyme in the cytoplasm. From here the nitrite is reduced to ammonium (NH4) by nitrite reductase enzyme in the chloroplast, which is then incorporated into amino acids by the glutamine synthetase−glutamine− 2−oxoglutarate amidotransferase enzyme system, resulting in glutamine and, ultimately, other amino acids and their metabolites. The nitrate reductase enzyme activity is the limiting step of NO3 N conversion to amino acid synthesis (Campbell, 1999). In most plant species only a proportion of the absorbed nitrate is assimilated in the root, the remainder being transported upwards through the xylem for assimilation in the shoot where it is reduced and incorporated into amino acids (Forde, 2000).

Even though plants have the inherent capacity to biosynthesize all of the amino acids that they require from nitrogen, carbon oxygen and hydrogen, the biochemical process is quite complex and energy consuming. Put simply, where amino acids and proteins are concerned, 20 amino acids must be synthesized by the plant in order for protein synthesis to occur. However, a challenge lies in the fact that proteins have a finite life span and must be constantly translated from m-RNA (which carries genetic information from DNA) in order for plant growth and development to continue. This means that there must be a ready supply of all 20 amino acids for protein synthesis and ultimately plant growth and development to occur. Therefore, the exogenous application of amino acids through addition to the nutrient, or applied via foliar spray, can aid the plant to save energy on this process. This energy can then be dedicated to better plant development during critical stages of growth.

To understand this energy saving process, nitrogen (N) containing amino acids such as glycine (C2H5NO2), alanine (CH₃CHCOOH), arginine (C6H14N4O2), tryptophan (C11H12N2O2), proline (C5H9NO2), histidine (C6H9N3O2) and lysine (C6H14N2O2) are shown to be uptaken and assimilated by some plants in large quantities. Some studies have indicated that where inorganic forms of nitrogen (e.g. nitrate nitrogen - NO3) and amino acids are present in soils and solutions plants uptake more N through amino acids than through inorganic sources of nitrogen. As a result, while the research is variable, some authors have suggested that plants possibly prefer organic amino acids as a source of nitrogen above inorganic forms of nitrogen.

So basically, amino acid chelates are able to directly enter the plant with the metal ion and transport it (put simply). As AZclones has rightfully pointed out research has now shown that the synthetic chelates are able to be uptaken and translocated by the plant - although there is some uncertainty as to what percentage of the synthetic chelates are uptaken. This said they do not transport the metal ion in the way amino acids do. BTW - EDTA etc is quite toxic so the fact that it is being uptaken isn't a good thing.

Re fulvic acid - yes I have used it for years in solution although that one is complex in that I grow in organic media (coco) and use bios (trichoderma and bacillus spp). Fulvic not only chelates and complexes but also provides a source of carbon for the bios (carbon is a key bio food so this provides a food source to the bennies which in turn ensures a high biomass). Certainly though a bit of extra chelation and complexing in solution can never hurt and can only aid nutrient availability particularly where conditions are less than optimal. So for example phosphorus has a pretty narrow optimal pH zone so by complexing it you improve the nutrient status. Hope that explains things a bit more for you...
Is there a brand of fulvic that you would recommend ther is easily available in the us market?

bigalthegrower

I use an amino acid product called AminoActin. You can purchase it from American Hydroponics in Arcata, California. You can also buy it from hydro-stores under the name Dark Energy. It smells a lot like soy sauce. I also notice that it moves the pH of my reservoir up substantially, and I end up adding a lot of phosphoric acid. Does anybody else have pH troubles when using amino acids.

Here is a link, if anybody wants to check out the product:
http://store.americanhydroponics.com/AminoActin-Chelating-Agent-p/88080.htm

glow

I use an amino acid product called AminoActin. You can purchase it from American Hydroponics in Arcata, California. You can also buy it from hydro-stores under the name Dark Energy. It smells a lot like soy sauce. I also notice that it moves the pH of my reservoir up substantially, and I end up adding a lot of phosphoric acid. Does anybody else have pH troubles when using amino acids.

Here is a link, if anybody wants to check out the product:
http://store.americanhydroponics.com/AminoActin-Chelating-Agent-p/88080.htm

Organic components can cause pH swings for various reasons but much of which (typically) is related to microorganisms they can promote. Are you using bennies or a sterilizing agent in solution? I would be more inclined to formulate myself using straight aminos such as glycine or be very specific how an organic based product is best used in solution.

bigalthegrower

Organic components can cause pH swings for various reasons but much of which (typically) is related to microorganisms they can promote. Are you using bennies or a sterilizing agent in solution? I would be more inclined to formulate myself using straight aminos such as glycine or be very specific how an organic based product is best used in solution.

I am using bacillus subtillus. I use Companion from Growth Products.
http://www.growthproducts.com/pages/international.asp?tables=featured&product=204
I was leaning towards using a different amino acid product. But after reading your post about how some plants can uptake a broad range of amino acids, I am feeling more confident that AminoActin from American Hydroponics is the correct choice. I just wish the pH of the reservoir did not shift towards alkaline; it does settle down after a few days, however.

Former Guest

how do ya guys feel about Ful-Power?? heard it recommended by a few but warned against using too much as you would get very leafy Jurassic park like growth.

I had asked this question a million times and not one person could explain it like it has been explained here. I'm still processing it all so now that we are back on topic...thank you!

glow

I am using bacillus subtillus. I use Companion from Growth Products.
http://www.growthproducts.com/pages/international.asp?tables=featured&product=204
I was leaning towards using a different amino acid product. But after reading your post about how some plants can uptake a broad range of amino acids, I am feeling more confident that AminoActin from American Hydroponics is the correct choice. I just wish the pH of the reservoir did not shift towards alkaline; it does settle down after a few days, however.

Yep prob a couple of things going on here. Part of it will be related to cation anion balance (electoneutrality) in solution and plants. Different products will have a somewhat different effect re pH. Mostly though I expect it is due to the bios in the system and the aminos acting as bio food. I.e.

As a general rule, daylight photosynthesis (when the plant is taking up high degrees of mineral nutrition) produces hydrogen ions which can cause the nutrient acidity to increase (lowering the pH). When the lights switch off photosynthesis stops and the plants increase their rate of respiration. This coupled with the respiration of microorganisms uses up the hydrogen ions so the acidity of the solution tends to decrease (pH rises).

Former Guest

I read somewhere the ph balancing was due to the ammonium nitrogen to nitrate nitrogen ratio being somewhere in the range of 15% urea/ammonia to the rest nitrate N. I wanted to figure out the ph perfect advanced nutes line and how it worked and that is what I discovered. many of the higher quality companies have that ratio for ph balancing but the AN is the only one who advertises and charges for it. I found a article about it but I haven't read this one; only remembering what I learned from before.
http://www.greenhouse.cornell.edu/crops/factsheets/nitrogen_form.pdf

so from what I've read, the thing that some people don't like about the chelates is that there is a lot of salt where some purists don't like that immediate effect chelation gives you?? I still can't understand why this whole organic bottled nutes is bad....

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
If you can find it, Growmore's Mendocino Fuego is good for root/foliar feeding of micronutes chelated by organic citric acid; according to the formulator it contains amino acids as well.

It is one of their newer products, so you have to ask for it.

theother

If you can find it, Growmore's Mendocino Fuego is good for root/foliar feeding of micronutes chelated by organic citric acid; according to the formulator it contains amino acids as well.

It is one of their newer products, so you have to ask for it.

Seems like i keep hearing positive things about growmore, I will definitely ask the shop around here that carries some of there products.

Total aside but FWIW I have been blown away by every single aurora innovations product I have used. IMHO some of the most pleasant surprises I have had in a while.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
My question remains...how does it inhibit that enzyme pathway. Proving it is not a chelation thing should be simple for a man of your qualifications.
I haven't read all the posts yet but as you repeatedly ask for clarification on that off-topic stuff and in order to be done with it: Glyphosate is a competitive inhibitor. It mimicking the natural substrate phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP) and non-covalently occupies the active site of the enzyme EPSP synthase. Hence, it prevents the coupling of PEP to shikimate 3-phosphate.

Avenger

Veteran
Certainly, the chelating effect of glyphosat is well known (that's not a new finding) but it's not why or how it kills weeds, it's why and how it kills mother nature.

duh, as it was originally patented as such, for such reason.

The second part of your statement seems nonsensical to me.

Anyway, I just found it interesting that you guys were discussing this just a few months after Dr. Huber published that review.

pinkus

Veteran
Why anyone would want a chelation agent that kills a broad range of beneficial microbes...

Oh yeah, for money and the ability to sell shit downstream to solve the problems that they started :shooty: