What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

organicgreen0

Everyone's peppers are looking great!

I have scoured the internet for detailed nutrient requirements for peppers but have not found much other than high N and P. So i've decided to use similar methods as cannabis.

My soil mix is OBBT proportions because once the seedlings are big enough to transplant they are going into OBBTs.

~50% Happy Frog
~25% Coco coir (rinsed 3 times and treated with Calmg+ and lemon juice in the 3rd rinse)
~12.5% Perlite
~12.5% Vermiculite

For nutes i pre-mixed in (per 5 gallons soil)
1 cup blood meal
1 cup high P bat guano
2 cup biotone starter plus
1 tbs epson salt
2 tbs lime

I have been watering with carbon filtered tap water with the PH taken down with some lemon juice, i have slightly alkaline tap water (8ish). Then about every 4th water ill add some calmg+ and liquid kelp following the label for amounts. The last time i did that they really seemed to have a growth spurt. They also are very sensitive to over watering. I will wait till they are so dry looking that i am scared to wait another day, then wait that extra day to water and they really like it.

Right now I have the seedlings under two 26w 6500K PL-c bulbs. I was planning on putting them under 4 26w 2700k PL-c when i transplant them into the OBBT buckets but i recently read that peppers preferred the blue end of the spectrum. I don't know how true this is so i might experiment a little.

Any thoughts on light requirements?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Nice thread! I picked up some run-of-the mill Habanero and Jalapeno starts today.
Good stuff!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Forget Bhut Jolokia, now the strongest chilli pepper in the world is from...Grantham in UK ! it's called the Infinity and was measured at 1,067,286 (Bhut J is 1,041,427).

Irie !

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Have you done before or did we inspire you?!
Hi,my name is CC1 and I have a problem with hot peppers.

I use them on almost everything,and it is anything I can get. Mostly what's available for the quick fix.
Once in a while at the Farmers Market I'll find a cool variety.

The little red Thai peppers are handy....they work well for me because I can just pluck a few when you need to without cutting a larger pepper.
Not putting a lot of time in the garden this year as far as peppers go....BIZZY doing herb stuff.

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
Much praise for growing those super hot types!!!

I dabble in growing a few peppers every year.

No crazy hot ones like the nagas or bhut.

This year in the garden:

Caribbean Red
Cherry Bomb
Kung Pao
Red Cayenne
Sandia
Santa Fe Grande
Gypsy
Purple Beauty

Naga morich (Bhut J?) is powerful, but the taste is too floral. Too overpowering. Aji Cristal is one of my favourite. Good taste and medium to strong potency. All around chili. Lemon drop is other good, not as hot as Aji, but perhaps better taste. :comfort:

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
We're doing our first run of chilis this year aswell. Here's what's on balkony:

Bhut Jolokia
Cajamarca
Conquistadore
Yellow Cherry
Hot Lemon
Peter Pepper
Round of Hungary
Serrano

Some of them got a sun burn last weekend as it was the first "real" sunny day we had so far. :badday: They'll recover though.

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
I read the Gov of India is working on a Bhut Jolokia pepper spray. I would NOT want to be doused with that stuff.

Can you guys give me some "hints and tips" for growing peppers, mainly germination of the bhut jolokia

Currently, my pepper plants are in pure coco. I hear they need a good bit of cal/mag (crinkled leaves are an indication of deficiency)

I have now:
Bhut jolokia (seeds germinating now- no sprouts yet)
Thai long hot
Thai sky hot
jalapeno
habanero
mandarin (bell pepper variety I think)

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
I read the Gov of India is working on a Bhut Jolokia pepper spray. I would NOT want to be doused with that stuff.

Yea that's mentioned in the Wiki articel on the Bhut aswell. There's some good info on there, said something about the natives using one of these chilis to spice food for a family, to last a couple of days. Gives some idea on how to handle this baby in cooking. :yoinks: :laughing:

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
yep, from Grantham, in the UK. Not much of an exotic sunny origin eheh...

Irie !

organicgreen0

Can you guys give me some "hints and tips" for growing peppers, mainly germination of the bhut jolokia

Currently, my pepper plants are in pure coco. I hear they need a good bit of cal/mag (crinkled leaves are an indication of deficiency)

I haven't got much for general growing tips and there doesn't seem to me much details on the internet for growing peppers. I am basically starting with similar methods to cannabis, as this is my first grow. From there i will refine the methods and ingredients that are suited for peppers.

I do have a good method for sprouting the bhut seeds. I first tried the moist paper towel method. It worked but wasn't particularly fast and the roots got attached to the paper too easily.

The method that works GREAT is rockwool cubes. I soaked the cubes in water with a little lemon juice to adjust my charcoal filtered city tap water down to 6.5ish. Then placed them in a tray with a heating pad under the tray at 85deg F. Then covered the cubes directly with plastic wrap. The normal humidity dome had too much volume and the cubes dried out very quickly. With the plastic wrap i barely had to add any water after the original soak.

With this method i actually had 3 of 4 seeds sprout within 4 days. Bhuts typically take 10-14 days if not more. I had the 4th seeds sprouted at about 10 days.

Good luck.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran

I have now:
Bhut jolokia (seeds germinating now- no sprouts yet)
Thai long hot
Thai sky hot
jalapeno
habanero
mandarin (bell pepper variety I think)

Hello fellow Chili head! That's a wonderful line up of chilis you have there, should make for some excellent hot sauces.
I'm currently growing:
2 Serrano
2 Thai Dragon
1 Red Savina Habanero
2 Purira
2 Jolokia (ghost pepper)

A good rule of thumb is to not plant your pepper until the soil is constantly warm, 70-75 degrees is optimal. Long hot days with plenty of sunshine are perfect for chilis. Good growing!

Another fun index: http://www.reimerseeds.com/alphabetical-listing_1027.aspx

Frozenguy

Veteran
Could someone help me out with my peppers?!

So I've grown peppers like this before and have never had a problem until I picked up two IBL's. They are wilting when I put them outside. They are about eight inches tall in 3 gal pots. I got them at 3" tall in small square pots.

A Red Rocoto and a Purple Beauty. I have two hybrids going as well, a Long Red Cayenne and a Big Bell. Those two are perfectly fine

So the hybrids are fine, but my IBLS are wilting in the shade! when the sun hits them they look like they are dieing. I bring them in and they recover (But how much, i heard you are never supposed to let peppers wilt).

Their soil is not dry by any means and they flourish otherwise.
I dont have the room in my cab, and dont want to set up another light if I can use the freaking sun. Whats up? What can I do? This is the fifth day I'm attempting this for an hour to a couple hours each day before I end the torture.

How long does hardening off take and am I doing it wrong? I've never encountered this with any plant.

I'll be doing this recipe for canned salsa this summer:

20 cups peeled, cored, chopped fresh tomatoes (mainly roma & some beefsteak)
5 cups seeded and chopped fresh peppers; or to taste
(using a combination of jalapeno, super chili, habanero)
5 cups chopped onion
20 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 7/8 cup cider vinegar
5/8 cup fresh lime juice

(10 quart batch)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Pour hot salsa into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal jars with two piece caps. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

-
First homegrown salsa ever, easy recipe, but....who knows what will happen.

Latest posts

Latest posts