What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Henola

goingrey

Because, something to smoke, isn't a "BONUS" - it's a deterrent.

Any energy the plant spends making flower vs making food, is wasted energy.

If you want flower, grow drug type cultivars. If you want food, grow grain type cultivars.

There ARE differences.

There are agronomic differences. You don't grow slicing cucumbers to pickle. You don't grow cherry tomatoes to make sandwiches. You don't grow giant pumpkins to make pies.

Everything has it's designated purpose. To ignore that, is kind of ignorant and a waste of resources.

There is access to these genes and I can acquire the seed from a certified, licensed vendor in the US. Is this something there is interest in, to procure, and spread, in much smaller, home grower style packaging?

You have to realize, that grain hemp has an extremely high oil content and the seeds can go rancid, very quickly without proper storage.

Hemp hulls, can go rancid, very quickly, because the oils are not expunged from them. In part, what makes them so healthy.

Just trying to warn against acts of futility, not trying to mock anyone. Cannabis, has ALWAYS been, more versatile than we give it credit for.

After all, I've spent a LONG time, trying to demystify the plant - because, even as wonderful as it is, it's still just a plant. Treat it accordingly.

dank.Frank
Nah I have to disagree on both.

Everything having a designated purpose is one way to see the world and sure breeders will have breeding goals and whatnot. But there's no seeds formed without bracts where they form in, and those bracts having psychoactive compounds is not necessarily such a deterrent to seed crops.

Ok maybe strains bred for seed production will produce more seeds per acre and with huge fields that is real money. But with some guy growing some plants for himself the dual purpose "drug and seed" option can easily be the more favored one.

On the subject of deterrents, the psychoactive compounds are deterrents for pests, according to some theory, so could actually provide a benefit for the plant itself. The reason it has been bred out entirely from the hemp seed cultivars is the law not plant energy economics.

And hemp seeds don't go rancid very fast. Not to the extent I can taste it at least. Or maybe my kitchen cupboards are the proper storage. Hempseed oil does have a shorter shelf life than some other oils, sure, but it's still like a year.

Now as for the interest, I have seen some online stores sell small packs of hemp varieties. So there has to be some interest. But I can't imagine it to be very large. What is the target market? And pricing wise challenging when you can get a kilo of hempseeds from the grocery store or five kilos from the animal feed store for the price of the very cheapest 5-seed packs sold to us...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are wrong. But I will respect your opinion.

There are agronomic differences in the plant species.

To each their own.

dank.Frank

Reactions: Gry

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
While Sam preached open pollination to everyone else....he isolated and bottlenecked in house to produce specific varieties that have very specific usages.

What a coincidence, huh. I think not. $$$$$$

dank.Frank

Kimes

The impact of Sam Skunkman to the world of cannabis strains is still mountaineously huge. Pretty much all modern strains are influenced if not inspired from his work. And who doesn´t like to make $$$$$$ when possible..? He didn´t get any compensation for helping start the FINOLA research...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wasn't deriding Sam. Just stating a fact. He encouraged everyone to "open pollinate" "to preserve a wider gene pool" - while he isolated and refined and bottlenecked for monetization.

How do you know he never received any compensation?

Didn't say it was bad to make money either. You've applied an emotional sentiment to my statement that didn't exist.

That aside, Dr. Jace Callaway developed Finola.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Kimes

I wasn't deriding Sam. Just stating a fact. He encouraged everyone to "open pollinate" "to preserve a wider gene pool" - while he isolated and refined and bottlenecked for monetization.

How do you know he never received any compensation?

Didn't say it was bad to make money either. You've applied an emotional sentiment to my statement that didn't exist.

That aside, Dr. Jace Callaway developed Finola.

dank.Frank
Sure he did, with Tero Laakkola. He got the seeds from Sam. For free. who got them from russian Vavilov Institute of Plant Industry, Ask him if you don´t believe me.
Perhaps I misunderstood then..

Gry

While Sam preached open pollination to everyone else....he isolated and bottlenecked in house to produce specific varieties that have very specific usages.

dank.Frank
The conclusion I drew was that he used differing approaches to breeding depending upon the desired result.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure he did, with Tero Laakkola. He got the seeds from Sam. For free. who got them from russian Vavilov Institute of Plant Industry, Ask him if you don´t believe me.

Perhaps I misunderstood then..
Just seems bizarre that with all those hands in the situation you gave sole credit to Sam for developing it in your initial post...LOL. All he did was pass some seeds along that he got from someone else.

Same thing he did with the Sacred Seeds Collective collection.

dank.Frank

Reactions: Gry

Kimes

Just seems bizarre that with all those hands in the situation you gave sole credit to Sam for developing it in your initial post...LOL. All he did was pass some seeds along that he got from someone else.

Same thing he did with the Sacred Seeds Collective collection.

dank.Frank
I´m not sure you understand the history of FIN-314, so let´s hear from the man himself how it went. Nothing bizarre about my post, it is all in your mind bro.
The reason Finola came to be was because I selected VIR315 and VIR313 as the two earliest flowering Cannabis varieties in the VIR collection.
I grew them, maybe 100 seeds of each and saw they were almost the same in structure, flowering times, and cannabinoid profiles, this was more then 2 decades ago.
I reproduced each for several years in isolation until I had a kilo of each. Then I mixed the two seeds and sent a KG of 314 to Jace up in Finland, he and his finnish partner did the rest with a little advice from me. My focus was that the VIR 313 and VIR 315 were yielding up to twice the yield of seeds per hectare of any registered hemp variety and they could be grown outdoors up North, and they had very low THC, as well as a better GLA profile for humans then any other hemp seed on the market.
I was busy with other Cannabis work and did not have the time to devote to VIR 313 & VIR 315 so I passed it on to Jace to see it happen, I knew it was a winner....
He lived in Finland, perfect for the work to reproduce large amounts of seeds.
-SamS

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want a bunch of seed, that is. ;)
It's part of what makes it such a high yielding gran variety, as every plant in the field can be harvested.

dank.Frank

Kimes

If you want a bunch of seed, that is. ;)
It's part of what makes it such a high yielding gran variety, as every plant in the field can be harvested.

dank.Frank
Sure. I see value in this. Did you find the source for seeds?, there are a few places that sell it online..

Last edited:

St. Phatty

One of the main problems with making seeds -

Your Cannabis growing neighbors will HATE YOU

and may Lynch you.

related to your male plants destroying their Sinsemilla crop.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure. I see value in this. Did you find the source for seeds?, there are a few places that sell it online..
There is a state side vendor that was given sole distribution rights with in the USA.

international-hemp. They first offered the line under a company called Beja, but they dropped that branding and stuck with international-hemp.

I've tried working with them to get futures contracts for large acreage on local farms in my area, but since the CBD fall out, too many farmers are not willing to grow hemp. They don't understand it's not all the same thing.

I've access to the gene pool for quite some time. What I don't have, is acreage to plant it.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the main problems with making seeds -

Your Cannabis growing neighbors will HATE YOU

and may Lynch you.

related to your male plants destroying their Sinsemilla crop.

You need a 5 mile radius from all others growing hemp in order to prevent crop cross pollination.

dank.Frank