What's new

Powdery Mildew, the last issue

t33to

I bleached my entire room and I managed to get it again. I'm on an air cooled set up, so I figure it's just coming in from the outside.

Is it even possible to "kill" powdery mildew?

I've heard spraying the mildew with Milk or high PH water can help, I've done the High ph water thing, it hasn't stopped it from spreading yet.

Does the milk thing work? Is there a specific kind of milk I want to use? Do I let the milk dry on the plant or do I dry the plants out?

Please post your successful attempts at combating PM.

Norkali

Milk does work, but only to a degree; much like the high pH water. In my experience, more airflow, less shade (more light), and drier conditions will set you straight. I would agree with your thinking that you are probably pulling in the PM spores through the intake, a filtered intake (HEPA) would help as well.

I used to battle PM, then upgraded ventilation and started using proactive strategies to prevent it such as not applying any foliar sprays before lights off, monitoring RH levels more often, etc..

t33to

Milk does work, but only to a degree; much like the high pH water. In my experience, more airflow, less shade (more light), and drier conditions will set you straight. I would agree with your thinking that you are probably pulling in the PM spores through the intake, a filtered intake (HEPA) would help as well.

I used to battle PM, then upgraded ventilation and started using proactive strategies to prevent it such as not applying any foliar sprays before lights off, monitoring RH levels more often, etc..

Aye, I know RH is a big deal. But I only have a variable Thermostat and not a variable humidistat on my room dump fan. So I'm kind of at the mercy of the outside air. Which right now is quite wet and rainy.

I have never tried installing a Hepa Filter before. How involved is that? Can you cut HEPA Filters into different shapes or are they a prebuilt kind of thing? Sounds like it would hinder a lot of air flow.

I am tempted to burn Sulfur in there but from my experience that doesn't help that much either and it's an expensive unit for a such a small room and constantly requires sulfur pellets.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Environmentally: Low Humidity around 50% RH would not let PM propogate, get a dehumidifier
Sulphur Burner: Changes leaf PH so PM cannot grow, it is 1000% effective
using h2o2 as a foliar spray works, I usually double to 4x the recommended amount, this recently minimized PM for me before had a Sulphur Burner

Dehumidifiers, Sulphur burners can be purchsed on Ebay or Amazon, see which is cheaper

I have had crazy PM at the end with no remedy in sight and took my hose and nozzle and washed my plants, it took several hours and i went leaf by leaf the day I took down and guess what it worked. if you have really bad PM it gets inside the buds so nothing can be done, and it is extremely bad for lungs.

Looked inside a bud recently after beginning to cough for a few days and yup some Dispensary sold me PM bud.

watch out for fuckers who use their oven to burn off PM when drying, I have heard this works and presume it is what the Dispensary sold.

zenoonez

Veteran
I think Krunchbubble has a thread on eagle 20 or something like that. let me see if I can dig it up. Oh and you might want to invest in some hepa air filters to run in your room, get one with uv air purifier. Oh and next time you clean the room run an ozone generator in there but be careful it is dangerous so read up on what you need to do.

B. Friendly

Veteran
I think Krunchbubble has a thread on eagle 20 or something like that. let me see if I can dig it up. Oh and you might want to invest in some hepa air filters to run in your room, get one with uv air purifier. Oh and next time you clean the room run an ozone generator in there but be careful it is dangerous so read up on what you need to do.

yup Eagle20W works, expensive over the long run compared to a Sulphur Burner.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...&field-keywords=eagle+20ew&sprefix=eagle+20ew

t33to

Environmentally: Low Humidity around 50% RH would not let PM propogate, get a dehumidifier
Sulphur Burner: Changes leaf PH so PM cannot grow, it is 1000% effective
using h2o2 as a foliar spray works, I usually double to 4x the recommended amount, this recently minimized PM for me before had a Sulphur Burner

Dehumidifiers, Sulphur burners can be purchsed on Ebay or Amazon, see which is cheaper

I have had crazy PM at the end with no remedy in sight and took my hose and nozzle and washed my plants, it took several hours and i went leaf by leaf the day I took down and guess what it worked. if you have really bad PM it gets inside the buds so nothing can be done, and it is extremely bad for lungs.

Looked inside a bud recently after beginning to cough for a few days and yup some Dispensary sold me PM bud.

watch out for fuckers who use their oven to burn off PM when drying, I have heard this works and presume it is what the Dispensary sold.

I don't think a Dehu will work in my case because my dump fan has to spin even at night time to continually scrub and move the air. I don't think in my case a Dehumidifier would ever catch up.

I have seen sulfur burners not help one bit at combating mildew, but I might consider the sulfur spray or H202.

If I do spray the plants, do I want to do it when the lights are off? And do I want to let the plants shed the spray on their own accord or put a fan on them to blow off the excess spray?

Wouldnt the problem go if you take off the glass of the air cooled reflector hood? I think if you have more infra red heat coming off of the bulb it might be enough to make the mildew to look for a new home.

Peace, Tel...:wave:

t33to

How many days/weeks must go buy before you can safely harvest a bud that has been sprayed with Eagle 20? Thanks for the post.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is a small room?
Would you rather buy a sulfur burner once and never think about PM again or continue to battle it forever?
The best sulfur burner costs 150 bucks and sulfur is dead cheap. I'm still using the same 2lb bag of sulfur pellets I bought years and years ago. I have 3 burners that burn at least twice a week for 6 hours each.
Intake filters are also a good idea and you can buy standard Filtrete 3M air filters at almost any hardware store in a variety of sizes. My buddy lokes has some good pictures of a window box he recently added a filter housing to in his new grow thread. Check it out and you will see what I'm talking about.

zenoonez

Veteran
I wouldn't spray it on anything flowering. I would only do it on plants in veg. Might want to PM Krunch and see if he has any experience spraying it on flowering plants.

Edit: and the man shows himself :wave:

B. Friendly

Veteran
I don't think a Dehu will work in my case because my dump fan has to spin even at night time to continually scrub and move the air. I don't think in my case a Dehumidifier would ever catch up.

I have seen sulfur burners not help one bit at combating mildew, but I might consider the sulfur spray or H202.

If I do spray the plants, do I want to do it when the lights are off? And do I want to let the plants shed the spray on their own accord or put a fan on them to blow off the excess spray?
you'd think so, but if it is still there your only option is a sulphur burner,
Buy a Dehumidifier just for the environmental control. your bud will be bigger and better.
Note Dehum. will add heat to your environment so if your opp is small and you can put the dehum outside your closet and still get RH down then good, but think about it
My dehum is in a 4' x 8' x 7'(high) and it works for the opp plus the outside room. It also raises the Temp by 5-10degrees depending on outside temp, summer/winter

not much more to say, close the thread. lol

t33to

What is a small room?
Would you rather buy a sulfur burner once and never think about PM again or continue to battle it forever?
The best sulfur burner costs 150 bucks and sulfur is dead cheap. I'm still using the same 2lb bag of sulfur pellets I bought years and years ago. I have 3 burners that burn at least twice a week for 6 hours each.
Intake filters are also a good idea and you can buy standard Filtrete 3M air filters at almost any hardware store in a variety of sizes. My buddy lokes has some good pictures of a window box he recently added a filter housing to in his new grow thread. Check it out and you will see what I'm talking about.

I've seen the most expensive Sulfur burner not thwart PM in any way what so ever. I think it might just be the strain of PM we have or perhaps the strain of MJ we have (maybe it's super susceptible to PM?). I will also add that I didn't think it was safe to run a sulfur burner for longer than 30 minutes, does Sulfur not damage the plants if you burn it for 6 hours straight? Perhaps you are onto something in that sense.

The room is 2x1000w. Basically a big closet with access to outside air.

B. Friendly

Veteran
I am going to strongly disagree with sulphur being a band aid since in 5 years I have not had PM???????
We are gonna disagree on this point Krun

TIPs: If you can get your dehum to drip into your reservoir it adds significant air to the water and is beneficial, called the Water Fall Effect

t33to

Wouldnt the problem go if you take off the glass of the air cooled reflector hood? I think if you have more infra red heat coming off of the bulb it might be enough to make the mildew to look for a new home.

Peace, Tel...:wave:

I don't use Air cooled reflectors, the room itself is air cooled though.

B. Friendly

Veteran
I've seen the most expensive Sulfur burner not thwart PM in any way what so ever. I think it might just be the strain of PM we have or perhaps the strain of MJ we have (maybe it's super susceptible to PM?). I will also add that I didn't think it was safe to run a sulfur burner for longer than 30 minutes, does Sulfur not damage the plants if you burn it for 6 hours straight? Perhaps you are onto something in that sense.

The room is 2x1000w. Basically a big closet with access to outside air.
I have been wrong before, but was the Burner installed and going form day one?
If PM is already established in any significant way, then yes a Burner will not be effective.
Burners are 100% effective in my experience if used at night for 1 - 2 hours, and put on before you see PM, preventitive not a cure for PM that exists

Somebody is going to have to explain why the GreenHouse industry swares by Sulphur Burners, they are the experts.