What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Restricting Sativas final height by pot size.

Pooshec

Hi All,

I would like to grow Sativa/mostly Sativa plants in a height restricted environment. The vertical space available to me from floor to the lamp is only 75 cm (0.75 m). My question is : is it possible to choose such a pot size/shape, so that strains like Green Crack or Desfran for instance will not achieve a greater final height than say 60-70 cm ? (without any training, bending, etc.).

So, in other words, can pot size be an ultimate height restrictor for plants and what ratio (volume of pot/height of Sativa plant) would be roughly correct in practical application when dealing with Sativas ?

I've read that some Sativas do not respond well to topping/training hence my question.

Many thanks for input everybody.

Be safe.

Pooshec

Thanks for reply I wood. Problem is, I have no free space to keep clones in and to keep the mommies either. If I had I would definitely follow your advice, sadly need to stick with seeds for now.

Cheers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Look into supercropping and low stress training (LST), because restricting root space can lead to hermaphrodite traits showing. Especially in a lot of sativa dominant strains. Low Stress Training is the least likely to cause hermie traits to express themselves since it's really low stress.

Good luck! :D

I wood

I have zero experience with them but it seems like you need an autoflowering plant that stays small, many choices out there.
They never appealed to me, if I get something I like I want to clone it indefinitely.

Pooshec

Thanks for your input Douglas. Yes, I am aware of not exactly rock-solid-genetic-spine of Sativas and their hermaphrodite tendencies.

So much trouble with those ladies, shame, such a great smoke they are :(.

OK. Not giving up yet though. So, I reckon, 10-14 days veg maximum and then main stem head down and into 12/12. Still I wonder, would 2-3 liter pots (pretty small, I know) be large enough no to enter hermie hazard zone...?

Cheers, Pooshec.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Look into supercropping and low stress training (LST), because restricting root space can lead to hermaphrodite traits showing. Especially in a lot of sativa dominant strains. Low Stress Training is the least likely to cause hermie traits to express themselves since it's really low stress.

Good luck! :D

:yeahthats

I'll throw ScrOG and SOG techniques in there too. Sativas flowered as soon as clones root will limit height as well.

Pooshec

Yeah, I got autos at the moment I wood, they're not bad at all. The whole Sativa idea came from deep desire for something really special, really connoisseur grade. I love Sativas high.

I used to do it your style for years (clones), but my circumstances have changed drastically in terms of room available at some point. Still, I would very much like to give it a shot and see what happens.

Cheers.

Pooshec

Thanks ReikoX.

Unfortunately for me clones are not an option at the moment.

By the way, I would highly appreciate anybody sharing Sativa strains names that are shortest (for Sativas of course) and ideally known to take LST happily please. A little off topic...

Cheers All.

starke

I don't know about being the shortest, but I am growing/have grown both Super Lemon Haze (70% Sativa) and Hawaiian Snow (80% Sativa) and can attest that both of these respond well to both LST and supercropping.

Floridian

Veteran
Hermie hazard zone?Thats less real than the twilight zone!What you need are stable genetics,environmental hermies are not common at all,though most folks will end up blaming themselves for a nut or two.You can cause herms in a stable strain with light anamolies like having light bleed in during dark hours or extending or cutting short the 12 hour dark period but being in a container too small for the plant size?You'll have a rootbound plant not a hermie.Environmental herms are just not common where genetic herms happen all the time,why folks want to blame themselves when they get balls or nanners at the end,I can't figure.It's going to happen if it's in the cards

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Plenty of instances of root bound plants going hermie. Yes, it happens, even when all other conditions are correct.

A strain which hermies under light schedule changes is NOT stable.

Pooshec

Some very good input here guys, thank you. Yesss....I agree with forementioned opinion on the ,,breeders'' these days. Sadly. Strawberry appleish berry, but slightly plumish train haha, WTF is that ??? Good cross ? For me good cross would be pure Hindu Kush/Nepalese crossed with Colombian/African landrace Sativa. Period. That's a good cross.

OK. So small pots are not a solution. Sadly. Absolutely agreed Douglas about hermies. Starke I'm going to test Hawaian Snow me thinks hehe. I've read some good reviews about it bro.

All the best and thanks again for input.
Pooshec.

YetiOG

Hi All,

I would like to grow Sativa/mostly Sativa plants in a height restricted environment. The vertical space available to me from floor to the lamp is only 75 cm (0.75 m). My question is : is it possible to choose such a pot size/shape, so that strains like Green Crack or Desfran for instance will not achieve a greater final height than say 60-70 cm ? (without any training, bending, etc.).

So, in other words, can pot size be an ultimate height restrictor for plants and what ratio (volume of pot/height of Sativa plant) would be roughly correct in practical application when dealing with Sativas ?

I've read that some Sativas do not respond well to topping/training hence my question.

Many thanks for input everybody.

Be safe.

You can do tons of things. Flower small clones, use small containers, toss a net over them (they will get over it even the ones that dont like) really the whole notion of not liking topping or training is silly. They might stall a little bit but they pick back up

By the way, green crack does not get that tall more grows like a huge round bush. Blue dream on the other hand does get tall.

Ive seen lots of pics of people growing everything from 100% indica to 100% sativa, cookies, og, whatever in containers and methods of every type

Latest posts

Latest posts