What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Economy Grow

zoic

Well I decided to go cheap for two reasons. I want to make sure my growing skills are uo to it since it has been about 30 years since my last grow. Also, I am so broke I cannot afford to change my mind.

So far I think I am doing well, but I really need to move forward with some better soil and nutes. Money is still an issue for now so I have to pick my battles.

Potting soil $2.25
Timer - $12.00

Everything else was re-purposed using left overs from my business that I closed. T12 bulbs poised a few inches above my plants.

Week2 and Week3. How I am doing so far?

tubeandjar

Wow, I didnt mean to make it sound so douchey. Especially for my first post... and I dont see an edit button. Sorry. I realize the $ issue. Gotta get some nutes tho. You could grab one of those starter packs with all the nutes needed for like $30. Got any bigger pots and more dirt?

zoic

Wow, I didnt mean to make it sound so douchey. Especially for my first post... and I dont see an edit button. Sorry. I realize the $ issue. Gotta get some nutes tho. You could grab one of those starter packs with all the nutes needed for like $30. Got any bigger pots and more dirt?

Welcome to the forum. I did not see anything that looked douchey, so not to worry, and I do appreciate the input. I do not have an edit button either. It may sound silly but I think you require a certain amount of posts to earn that privilege. ??? Plans are variable, or for me "by the seat of my pants". I have some 5 gallon pots (free from Loblaws floral shop). I am going to pickup some Litmus paper, or maybe buy a Digital PH tester on line. I favor the strips because they will never break (old school). Had a few computer repair jobs so there is a little extra left for soil and nutes. I need to work on my grow closet if I want to a be able to accommodate the 5 gallon pots. March is when my CPP starts so that is when the show goes into a higher gear. I think I have to spend my first 3 months worth buying everything I need. Again, thanks for replying, it truly is appreciated. Cheers!

starke

When you reach 50 posts your status will change from "Newbie" to "Member" and you will have the ability to edit your posts.

Plants look good so far. Good luck.

zoic

Are you using bag seed?

Those middle two put on some good growth from week 2 to week 3.

Yes. Just been collecting everything all last year. My hope it that at least one of the 3 mystery mix is blueberry. But I have at least for sure, 3 that are Girl Scout Cookies. I have also found 5 more in the shake I am using for my cookies. So now I may have some for White
Widow and/or Afghani Kush.

zoic

When you reach 50 posts your status will change from "Newbie" to "Member" and you will have the ability to edit your posts.

Plants look good so far. Good luck.

Thanks, I am pleased with the progress so far.

So is 50 posts the magic number I need to have an avatar as well?

tubeandjar

I have some 5 gallon pots (free from Loblaws floral shop). I am going to pickup some Litmus paper, or maybe buy a Digital PH tester on line. I favor the strips because they will never break (old school). Had a few computer repair jobs so there is a little extra left for soil and nutes. I need to work on my grow closet if I want to a be able to accommodate the 5 gallon pots.

PH strips or even drops are a great option for the budget grow. What are your ideas for lighting / size of space? Do you have more t12s or bulbs to switch out during flower?

zoic

PH strips or even drops are a great option for the budget grow. What are your ideas for lighting / size of space? Do you have more t12s or bulbs to switch out during flower?

Thanks taj. My closet space is about 2ft deep x 5ft long. I have two more T12 lights (2 bulbs each) for future growth. My basement has tons of room and I am working on a grow area with ventilation for when they start to flower. I also have at least 8 new bulbs for them.
Now since my CPP starts next month I will have an opportunity to step it up a notch when needed.

tubeandjar

Awesome. At least you have space and a plan. I subscribed to the thread. I look forward to seeing what you end up doing. Maybe you'll find some great budget secrets to share with us all.

zoic

Yes, space and a plan was what held me back for so long. I recently moved a few loads of old junk out of my basement. leftovers from my computer business. Many of the parts I am re-purposing were bought and paid for years ago, so I have a slight advantage of not having to spend as much. I thought I needed more height clearance at first, but now I realize that is not the case. I now have a place to move any males away from the main grow. Two floors away should be safe enough.

I really want to have grow tents, eventually. Still trying to figure out an inexpensive way to ventilate, and much of what I need is already here, but I need to figure a good setup.

Next round of pics on Monday, they are looking good.

zoic

Week 4 pics

Week 4 pics

Week 4 pics. I am blown away how one small tip has gleaned so much success. In the past the plants would get tall and stringy, then die. A quick tip on re-potting and topping up soil has turned that issue completely around for me. Thanks to all for the awesome guidance.

I took a single of my favorite one. I can hardly stand waiting now. I know I am just overthinking it, but I always feel like I need to do something more or different.

My wife thinks I was over watering based on the leaves curling (but no brown) and turning yellow. Does that sound about right? I also plan to top up the soil on a few of them.

Last edited:

zoic

I am going to pickup some Maxi-Grow or Pro Mix this week and re-pot these plants in bigger pots. Still have to figure out a second light since 5 of the larger pots exceed the width of one 48" light.

I am working on another grow area in the basement so when they start into flowering I can set up ventilation to the out side. Thankfully I have a bit of time to work out the best setup I can afford.

zoic

Also forgot to mention, I found another 2 dozen seeds in my workshop desk drawer. They predate form before Tweed and could be the older ones I was looking for. I remember a few strains I saved seeds from, like Chocolope and Krypto. Lots of nice looking seeds under the magnifying glass. Since I only saved seeds from really good stains, I have come to terms with not knowing the genetics. :biggrin:

tubeandjar

Nice find with the seeds! That's a good money saver since it was from good stuff. If your going out for new soil consider Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 in the white and yellow bag. It usually comes compressed which means it expands to twice what it says on the bag ie: 3 cubic foot = 6 cf expanded. It just saves money over time. Also, Dyna-Gro Grow/Bloom products works really well for a 2 part and is also fairly priced. Their Pro-tekt silica product is awesome.

Sazugt

Subscribed! Excited to see the comments and how your grow goes since I'm rocking T5's as well. Good luck!

zoic

Thanks TAJ. Home depot sells it but it is not in stock yet. Mainly just potting soil until the garden centers open. I went to Rona and picked 5 medium sizes pots (1-1/2-2 gallon) only this time I got the self draining ones. Total cost was $49.23. I will have to drill holes in the bigger ones before I can use them. I also bought 3 bags of Promix (8.7L) and transferred the plants to the new pots. The roots balls seemed pretty decent and most of the plants look very healthy.

So reviewing that puts my total cost at 63.48 so far.