What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking about Trying my First Energy Drink.

St. Phatty

Saw a neighbor drinking one yesterday. He said it was "better than coffee".

If there's a better caffeine buzz available ...

With coffee, I can only consume so much (2 cups) in the morning.
If I go beyond that limit, it often interferes with me sleeping.

So I guess the question is -
which energy drink gives you the best buzz, for helping get work done,
without interfering with your sleep ?

It may come down to Monster vs. Red Bull, or whatever they're selling at the Dollar Store.

Energy drinks seem like a very profitable business. They get $5 for about a quart of sugar water with No Doz & Taurine mixed in.

SH.T !

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
The company that makes those 5 hour energy drinks in the little bottles, is currently getting their asses sued off for false advertising.

Every energy drink I ever tried has a nasty 'hangover' effect. So my advice would be just drink more coffee or stronger coffee. If you think coffee interferes with sleep, wait until you chug a red bull at 9 pm.

geneva_sativa

They are more than a dollar but the Guayaki Yerba Mate has energy shots, also their Tangerine Mate + Juice( sometimes labeled Citrus ) in the glass bottles, and Sparkling Ginger-Grapefruit in slim cans are pretty good to me.

Might be worth a try. Usually you can find at bigger health food stores.

St. Phatty

I wasn't planning on drinking the whole thing.

Thought I would just have a shot (little 3 ounce cup) of one of them.

Red Bull, Rockstar, Monster.

Red Bull sold $4.5 Billion worth of sugar water in 2015.

Once I had an instructor in an animation class who was sort of in the middle of a melt-down - fueled by energy drinks.

His wife had left him and he was trying to teach too many classes.

Fueling the entire expedition with energy drinks. In his mid-50's.

I sat in the lab during one of his intro classes, and it was just embarassing. About 15 eager young students and he was having trouble telling them what to do.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I don't even drink coffee after 9:00 am....

I don't even drink coffee after 9:00 am....

Drink more coffee- all of the energy drinks I have tried tasted horrible...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Yerba Mate', if you make it like tea, has caffeine, but it's a little bit different than a coffee buzz. I really like it. Very UP but not too speedy.

It's definitely better than those synthetic energy drinks, imo.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Saw a neighbor drinking one yesterday. He said it was "better than coffee".

If there's a better caffeine buzz available ...

With coffee, I can only consume so much (2 cups) in the morning.
If I go beyond that limit, it often interferes with me sleeping.

So I guess the question is -
which energy drink gives you the best buzz, for helping get work done,
without interfering with your sleep ?

It may come down to Monster vs. Red Bull, or whatever they're selling at the Dollar Store.

Energy drinks seem like a very profitable business. They get $5 for about a quart of sugar water with No Doz & Taurine mixed in.

SH.T !

at the dollar tree its called RIP IT in 2 flavs.

if you want the Hardest energy drink?

REDLINE EXTREME. 2.99 a bottle to 3.99

sip... read the label

VPX Redline Putting People In Hospital
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/vpx-redline-putting-people-in-hospital

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the taste of coffee. Tried others (energy drinks) and most gave me jitters or UP, then slam down sensation or tasted like aspartame, fake orange, etc.
Agree, yerba mate is good....but still have a love affair with java.

St. Phatty

Looked at Safeway yesterday.

Seems like a typical price is $1.33 for a tall can - not too bad.

Makes me wonder though - would it be cheaper to just buy a case of Mountain Dew (for the sugar and caffeine), and add some extra No-Doz, Taurine from the health food store, etc.

But I'm a lightweight. Those tall cans look like they have 4 doses easy.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Stay away from sugar, corn syrup and sucralos, which pretty much rules out every energy drink on the market. Except, I think, the organic one from RockStar?

They're nasty drinks, you'd do well to avoid them. Look up David Schomer, he has videos on how to make real espresso. Get a real espresso machine and a quality grinder and start practicing. Once you get it right, you'll never look at Starbucks again without saying "Gack" to yourself.

A real shot of espresso has very little acidity, tastes sweet and has a smooth caffeine lift which drops off without a crash. No jitters and no stomach issues. It's like night and day to poorly created espresso.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ever heard of Greener Green Tea? It' a blend of Yerba Mate, green tea and lemon grass.
That reminds me, I mix blackstrap molasses and green tea extract (50% caffeine by volume). A little dab will do ya. ;)

Go easy though, very simple to overdose on caffeine this way. You've been warned. ;)

cryptop

I've tried around 50 different energy+prepackaged coffee drinks.... the "Enlightenmint" Yerba Mate is good, Scheckter's Organic Energy is a good "traditional" energy drink as well.

My favorite combo for the daily routine is a 200mg caffeine pill, with 200mg L-Theanine pill (it takes away the "jittery" effect from caffeine). Then some apple cider vinegar with some added ginger, and that's better than any prepackaged drink I've had. Much cheaper too.

cryptop

The caffeine pills are synthetic (well, most are anyway), you'll find no jitters with green tea extract. :)

Yup, no jitters mostly because of the L-Theanine in green tea. I've actually started drinking green tea with ginger and mint, much preferably to coffee/caffeine pills.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I was at a convention and a vendor was giving out free samples of those little bottles of energy drinks. I took one, drank it and immediately got a rush and my face flushed. It wasn’t pleasant and made me feel very uncomfortable. Haven’t had any others since.

Not a fan of Red Bull either, haven’t tried Monster or any other of those types. One thing I do use if I need a jolt while on the road is Doubleshot Espresso drink from Starbucks (the little cans, 6 oz). Even though I’m not a big fan of Starbucks those seem to do the trick for me without all the side effects. Maybe because I’m a coffee lover.

810FireFarm

lots a teas actually have more caffeine than coffee...of course there are exceptions, but i would rather try some different teas with higher caffeine before a RedBullshit