What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

G

Glad you enjoyed it aeric. I too felt all reminicent when I found this tucked away in my hardrive lol. I also agree that it is a good test of a growers skills and resourcefulness to keep a bonsai mom (or any mom for that matter) over years and decades. I have enough trouble keeping things togethjer when I move lol. Anyways, glad you liked it, wish OT1 was still around these parts.

guerilla

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
Great thead, thanks to oldtimer1 and to you Guerilla for the reposting.

I have had a swt#3 mom for about 2 years but not as a bonzi, I had her in a 1 1/2 gal pot, and another in the same size pot. left me no room in my cab.

Seeing this post I have taken a cutting and rooted it and now have started my first bonzi mom, and am growing out my big mom.
I will be able to keep more moms and my thanks goes to oldtimer1 and to you.

If I may ask a favor, you mentioned somthing about splitting the trunk and some point in the plants life, to make to moms.
Would it be possible to go in to a little detail about how this is done.
I ask because in makes me think it would kill the plant to split the trunk Like that,
I would really love to learn that moethod.

Thanks again and stay safe and high.
HYDRO.

V

vhGhost

thnx 1018, i can't wait to say that my prices hempstar mom is over 10+ years old ... shit i'll be 36 in 10 years ..... wow time sure flies !!!

Thnx i'm working on a mom right now!!

EDIT! : if this isn't a sticky yet .. what are we waiting for ?

G

Thanks hydro and vh. I am very glad that so many have found this thread so useful again. I really wish oldtimer was still around, he had a bunch of great how-to's and stuff that could be really useful to alot of people. Anyways, hydro, I unfortunately have no idea what or how splitting the trunk could do anything but kill the plants, so Im in the same boat as you. If I do come across any info in the archives regarding this, I'll be more than happy to post it here. Also Id love to see your bosai moms in action, either here or in your own thread. Please do post some pics when you get em going, Id love to see it.

VhGhost: I feel the same way as you buddy. I have a few friends that have moms from over 10 years ago and also some even longer (blue dog has a mommy from 1992 :yoinks:) Cant wait to be one of those guys lol. I think this thread should be a sticky too, but theres so many worthy threads that arent sticky's, that they probably feel as if there would be way too many. Maybe one day. Either way, the thread has been getting alot of attention so it shouldnt get lost, and Im always willing to bump it if needed :)

guerilla

aeric

Veteran
he was saying that with each repotting the mom gets planted a lil deeper, and if ,say, the mom is in the shape of a -Y- the two top branches will eventually end up being below the soil (or one could do air layering) and get roots. Once it has roots it can be seperated from the other half.

tuttlebudd

I've had my moms for 2 years...1st in a 5 gal..then CUT the root ball down to fit a 2 gal...just recently took the root ball OUT....shook of 90% of the soil and repotted her and her sis back in 2 gal posts...have done this twice w/NO ill effects..they LIKE it..:D
tutt

G

Sounds like a smilar theory tuttle, with the advantage of smaller plants with bonsai. iF you have lots of room though, Id say thats the way to go. Thanks for posting :joint:

guerilla

harold

my bonsai plant is showing a deficiency, looks like sulphur def. New growth looks kinda washed out like a nitrogen def between the veins, i know its hard to say without a pic but what does this sound like to you guys??? i gave her a foliar feed with epsom salts and kelp seemed to make things worse :badday: please help me......

G

If you have already tended to trimming the rotts, then I am not sure what it could be from your description. To me it sounds as if the plant is rootbound, so give her a check and see whats doing in there. If that is the case, just trim the roots as outlined here and you should be good in a week or so. Best of luck.

guerilla

bongoman

Excuse me if this is already in this thread, but what lighting regime do you keep mothers on? 18/6?

I'm trying to set up a micro grow and am trying to work out how best to deal with mums and clones in addition to the flowering cabinet. The bonsai method is appealing for that reason.

Can I keep mums and clones together under the same light? I'm just going with T5's for that side of things, and am trying to keep things as simple as possible and want to take up as little room as possible.

G

Keeping your moms and clones under the same light would be ideal for them until they are ready to slowly introduce into veg lighting. A T5 is pretty much perfect for that. Anything above 18/6 (18/6 20/4 22/2) is good for mothers and clones. I believe that oltimer had his on 24/0 but I really dont think its nessicary. As long as the light is on for at least 18 you'll be good. You will be real happy with how little space these moms take up. Perfect for a micro. Best of luck and if you can post some pics of your work, Id love to see em. Take care

guerilla

G

harold said:
thanks will do i think it may be mag def though.

From what I have learned (the hard way lol) it would be better to try to figure out the problem before adding more nutes to the mix. Too many nutes may be the problem in the first place. My advice would be to give them plain water and try the root trimming, and then if the problem persists, look into solving a deficiency. Check out mynamestitch's guide to sick plants, it helped me out immensly. Best of luck.

guerilla

G

Great thread...with wonderful pictures and great tutorial...Thanks for all the info.....

G

Thanks for the kind words :respect: Glad you liked the thread. I am really glad I had this saved, Im sure OT1 would be happy to see his thread helping out so many. Great Kush thread you got there Respect, that purple kush looks yummy :yummy: All the best.

guerilla

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
like i said buddy you inspired me lol here she is 1st attempt never toped or trimmed

again thx guerilla1018 for saving this and reposting it im on my way now she's 14 inch tall and almost 4 months old.

Last edited:
V

vhGhost

maj. nice plant bro , i can't wait for my sensi star to finish up this fall and get harvested and cut back to create my first bonsai mom. ( she's defenetly a keeper ! )
Thanks 1018

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
thx buddy the real test now is keeping her this size, like i said ive never toped or taken cuttings from her yet. she's been reverting back to full veg since my last grow and kept in a cut i gal milk jug untill few wks ago, then i cut about half her rootmass off wack lol. then transplanted her into a 8x8x8 inch pot

looks kinda beat up and drug behind my ole truck lol but my 1st pic above other reply is her current conditation

G

Great job major :yes:, Ive been hopin someone would post some shots of this method in action. Lookin really good too, just keep trimming and taking cuttings regularly and she'll stay that size.
Thanks again for the compliments VHghost :D if you can, post some pics of your sensi star mom when shes ready to go, Id love to see it.
Your very welcome moony, Im glad you enjoyed it bro.
Take care everyone.

guerilla

Latest posts

Latest posts