What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homebrewing beer

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I was a homebrewer for 30 years ...

I was a homebrewer for 30 years ...

Join a homebrew club and get in on a bulk buy. Lose the attitude.

My dad got me a Homebrew Kit in 1979 when they legalized homebrewing.

He got the Kit at the The Home Wine, Beer and Cheesemaking Shop in Woodland Hills, CA here is their website, but they don't sell online http://www.homebeerwinecheese.com/

They are the Home of the Maltose Falcon Home Brewing Society. The founders of the club started Anchor Steam Brewery (google it).

They sold and still sell all kinds of malt, hops and equipment and you can use their grinder for free!

Joining a club can be very rewarding.

Good Luck with all of your brews :dance013:

T

The Sensi Rebel

What do you got going on there toughmudderdave?

just bottled my orange brown ale.

FamilyBerzerker

Where ya gettin ur hops? I could use a pound or 2 of Citra..

mgk :tiphat:

I mail order. I got the citra from LabelPeelers.com (had to preorder them), the rest came from the usuals; Adventures in Homebrewing, Fresh Hops, etc.

As for paying $115 for a 55# sack, that's like buying a zip of mids for $300. Even my local shop sells single 55# sacks of base for ~$65. Even buying single pounds of base, 55#s would be ~$110. On a bulk buy (like if you have a club to order with), I pay ~$30-35 a sack.

unspoken

Depends on your location. If you can grow mj outdoors you can grow hops. Biggest thing is that they take up a lot of space. You need a support system to trellis a 25' vine. They also need quite a bit of trimming.

S

SeaMaiden

25'...? I'm barely over 5' myself! We're not too far from a place called Sloughhouse, and down there by Davis Farms there remains the vestiges of the last large hops grower and their drying and baling barns. I remember seeing an episode of California's Gold where Huell was down there.

Jesus Christ, that's like growing sugar cane, except it doesn't need a trellis, you just need a big, sharp machete. I keep my cannabis smaller specifically so I can tend to it.

FamilyBerzerker

How difficult is it to GYO hops?

It's pretty easy, most of the northern 2/3rds of the US is at a great latitude for hops growing. Most if the US crops are grown in the PNW, Willamette and Yakima Valley's, my guess would be that NorCal (especially if at altitude) would be ideal for most American hops.

FamilyBerzerker

Gonna resurrect the dead with my latest home brew project. I will be brewing my first attempt at a clone of the famed Heady Topper. I harvested yeast from a few cans that I was lucky enough to score in trade and have enough now to brew a batch. This will be a really fun brew with a couple new (to me) techniques for hopping this beer.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I brew mostly IPAs for myself and orange/corriander wheat for the lady. No fruit in my beer please. Dry hop the IPA, I even want my beer to taste like weed :joint:

dry hop a couple of nuggets !!!

that will put a little kick in your homebrew :dance013:

i've been homebrewing off and on for 5 years... have about 30 brews under my belt... me and a friend do 10 gallons at a time...

hefe's and ipa's are our favorites... but we've done a bunch of stuff...

Most these were kits, we have just begun creating our own recipes in the last several brews. these kits came from Northren Brewer, Midwest Brew Supply and mostly Austin Home Brew.

Cherry Wheat
Pumpkin Ale (we've done this several times, Thanksgiving)
Double Chocolate Stout
Vanilla Porter (used real vannila beans)
Samnuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Blue Moon Clone (multiple times, this is good one)
New Castle Brown Ale
Double IPA (another multiple, we love this and get between 9-11% ABV)
Belgian White
Bavarian Hefe
Cream Pale Ale
Texas Honey Bock
Summer Saison Belgian Ale
Irish Red Ale
Fat Tire Clone
Holiday Special Ale (cinnamon tasting, each Christmas)
American IPA
Nut Brown Ale
and a LIGHT home brew that we are perfecting (uses Rice as an adjunct)

and a few others I either didn't document or can't recall...

we are doing a mini-mash but are threatening to go whole grain... someday ...

:tiphat:

greenpinky

Hell ya GP. I just bottled my first batch, I got my eye on that blue moon clone... where did u find it? Im doing my beer one right after another.. so far the plants are liking it, but no big difference...im liking it more

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Hell ya GP. I just bottled my first batch, I got my eye on that blue moon clone... where did u find it? Im doing my beer one right after another.. so far the plants are liking it, but no big difference...im liking it more

austinhomebrew dot com

it's a nice little kit....

i brewed it up normal the first time. since then i have been doubling the orange peel and coriander.

and i am also throwing that same amount of orange peel and coriander in the secondary...

everyone who has had one says its our best beer !!!!

good luck :tiphat:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to greenpinky again.
:cry:

Homebrewer

Veteran
Gonna resurrect the dead with my latest home brew project. I will be brewing my first attempt at a clone of the famed Heady Topper. I harvested yeast from a few cans that I was lucky enough to score in trade and have enough now to brew a batch. This will be a really fun brew with a couple new (to me) techniques for hopping this beer.

I'd suggest against using the yeast from those cans as it's a DIPA and the dominant flavors in that beer are going to be from the hops, not the yeast. Make yourself a big, fresh starter from some clean yeast purchased at your homebrew shop and start this batch off on the right foot.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I'd suggest against using the yeast from those cans as it's a DIPA and the dominant flavors in that beer are going to be from the hops, not the yeast. Make yourself a big, fresh starter from some clean yeast purchased at your homebrew shop and start this batch off on the right foot.

I totally agree. The most of the stuff in the bottom of those cans isn't yeast, it's sludge. Sediment wise, that's one of the ugliest beers I've ever seen. I recommend a strong bittering hop addition with not much in the middle. Then with 10 minutes to go, do a barrage of hop additions of a variety of the 'c' hops. I like citra myself, but it's a little hard to come by. Have fun.

mgk :tiphat:

edit; I recommend a fairly good addition of kettle sugar (corn sugar is very neutral flavor wise). it adds alcohol to your beer without making the beer real heavy.

dragongrower

Didnt read the whole thread. Might do so later.
I also brew a little myself. Just using kits to start with. Here is a pic of my "homemade" IPA:

flowerday244.jpg

i have been brewing several other beers lately.
chocostouts
wheat beer,
chech pilsner type
irish bitter
strong beer, at around 10%

currently brewing a Heritage lager..

peace

420mike

I met a guy in Oregon last year who claimed to have grafted a cannabis plant with a hops plant. Kinda interesting.

STUNKY

No heeediddnnn.i have been getting into brewing a little. I have always made wine.. But wife bought me a kit then grand dad bought me a kit so I have all those bottled.. They were so damn good. I am waiting on my sweetwater 420 clone kit.. I love that stuff with a shot of jack and a bowl.. Throw In pool table and some tunes .. Great stuff. I am looking into the blue moon clone for this summer..
What's another good ipa I should try next?