What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homebrewing beer

kin_dawg

been drinking my lager with 500gm LDM, very nice, nice mouh feel- thick,. Good head, i read due to the malto dextrose. got me hammered to. Not too carbonated, my usual drop feels slightly over carbed now:/

FamilyBerzerker

The only thing I've ever had go vinegar on my was a white grape juice wine. I think it was due to oxygenation, I had too much headspace in secondary and tertiary.
I've got my dank IPA recipe written, I'm going with chinook early (continually hopped from 60-40 mins) and a blend of columbus, Simcoe and amarillo continually added from 20-5 mins, with a three ounce shot at knockout. Including dry hopping, it's a lb of hops for 5 gallons. I think I'll use harvested Bell's yeast, it's always been good to me in IPAs.

Side note: someone mentioned SN being the only beer with yeast.... no so at all. I've personally cultured yeast from SN, Rogue, Bell's, Boulevard, Cooper's, and Surly. There's an ongoing list on a homebrew forum I belong to with hundreds of commercial beers that home brewers have successfully harvested from.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
The only thing I've ever had go vinegar on my was a white grape juice wine. I think it was due to oxygenation, I had too much headspace in secondary and tertiary.
I've got my dank IPA recipe written, I'm going with chinook early (continually hopped from 60-40 mins) and a blend of columbus, Simcoe and amarillo continually added from 20-5 mins, with a three ounce shot at knockout. Including dry hopping, it's a lb of hops for 5 gallons. I think I'll use harvested Bell's yeast, it's always been good to me in IPAs.

Side note: someone mentioned SN being the only beer with yeast.... no so at all. I've personally cultured yeast from SN, Rogue, Bell's, Boulevard, Cooper's, and Surly. There's an ongoing list on a homebrew forum I belong to with hundreds of commercial beers that home brewers have successfully harvested from.
I was gonna comment on the yeast thing too, but you did it much nicer than I woulda.. thanks..

mgk :tiphat:

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
we wine and shine lol,strawberry wine is awsome ,after a good six months in the carboy,thats my wifes doings ,i shine ,only takes a week ,so between the grow and wine ,shine ,i live a boring life ,lol

kin_dawg

Plenty mate if your in a closet or similar, only problem is you'll pang for a beer every time you open the door and the lovely yeasty aromas hit you in the face:biggrin:
Brew turned out fine in low 20c temps.
In large rooms i use a tank and monitor.

Dude.. I went to CostCo and bought some "100% organic honey and 100% organic blue agave".. I read the ingredients and it said NOTHING about SULFUR DIOXIDE.. I learned the hard way..

FUCK, that smells like rotten volcano shit.

FamilyBerzerker

Hey what kinda Co2 do u get off ur kit? I want to get one to get my Co2 levels up in a grow?

An active beer will kick a good amount of co2 for a few days, and you could probably trap it in a small grow.... but the issue would be temps. Few yeasts make good beer over ~70F, so you'd be limited to the ones that do, like saison and Belgian yeasts. Saison yeast will work well up to the mid 80s. Keep in mind that an active fermentation is 5-10 degrees F above ambient, if your grow's 80F, assume the beer is 85+. If you want some tips on keeping a fermenter cool, while still letting co2 escape into the grow, keep the fermenter in a water bath and maintain the water at the temps you want with frozen water bottles.
Another option would be to keep the fermenter outside the grow, and just have the blow off jug in the grow, run the blow off tube to the jug. Simple, no worries about the climate of the grow affecting the fermentation temps.

I'd be interested in hearing about it if you try it out.

unspoken

"Cacade hops screened to extract just the resin glands look like yellow mustard. I mixed with hot wort before adding to kettle for last 2 fermenters of keefed apa. Hopefully this will be super cascade aromatic ..."

Bust out your bubble bags. Anyone tried this?

picture.php

FamilyBerzerker

"Cacade hops screened to extract just the resin glands look like yellow mustard. I mixed with hot wort before adding to kettle for last 2 fermenters of keefed apa. Hopefully this will be super cascade aromatic ..."

Bust out your bubble bags. Anyone tried this?

View Image

Sweet!!! I infuse too, but with a different method. I dissolve BHO into solution with grain alcohol, and add that tincture to the bottling bucket or keg. I've done it with keef too, but filtered the solids out. Whiskey works well to for a bourbon ale, but I find that the Everclear works best and imparts very little flavor.

unspoken

Sweet!!! I infuse too, but with a different method. I dissolve BHO into solution with grain alcohol, and add that tincture to the bottling bucket or keg. I've done it with keef too, but filtered the solids out. Whiskey works well to for a bourbon ale, but I find that the Everclear works best and imparts very little flavor.

You make bho with your hops?

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
You make bho with your hops?

I've thought about doing an extraction with hop flowers, but about the time I decided to actually do it, my hop vines stopped producing.. But what the FB was talking about was infusing his beer with bho at the time of bottling or kegging. FB, this is something I've always wanted to do and I'm dyin to know how well it works? How much bho do you use in a keg.. I never bottle beer.. kegs only. I've thought of doing it with keef but in the fermenter like you'd do when dry hopping. I'm sure the alcohol would put the thc in solution. Just trying to figure the proper amount.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I was just making sure he knew my picture was hops keif, not mj.

Oh.. now I understand what I'm dealing with here.. lol.. Blichmann Kettle.. yikes! I'm going to have one by spring.. As I said in a previous post, I thought about bubble bagging hops, but bugs got my vines and I got no more harvest. That hop kief looks killer.. great idea. what about doing a bho type hop extraction? might buy a pound of whole flowers and have a friend shoot em and see what comes out.. What size is your system.. I'm brewing 15 gallon batches in a hodgepodge system.. we make good beer. Fun to see another problem child.

FamilyBerzerker

I was just making sure he knew my picture was hops keif, not mj.

Ohhhhhh, I thought it was.

No, I make BHO like everyone else. I thought you were adding your hops extraction AND mary keif. That's pretty cool, I'd be interested in hearing how the beer turns out. I'm always looking for new way to add hops character to my brews.

And, if you ever want to add a li'l extra boost to your brews, the BHO/Everclear tincture works well. Experiment and only use enough Everclear to suspend the oil/wax so you're not adding too much/any booze flavor.

WelderDan

Veteran
I'm into home brewing. Last batch was a Porter that was very close to Anchor Porter. Very happy with that one. I'm about to do a Russian Imperial Stout that should clock in about 9% ABV.

Did a batch of Mead a while back. Drank that up within a week after it was ready.

planning on doing some Cider soon too.

FamilyBerzerker

Nice, I'm about to crack into the batch of RIS that I brewed this past Jan. Tasted really good, chocolate-y and raisin-y, at bottling in Sept!
Got my 2012 hops in the mail this past week, couple #'s of Simcoe, amarillo and Citra, as well as some cascade and centennial. First up will be my Cascadian dark ale/black IPA w/simcoe and amarillo. Then a Zombie Dust clone (all citra).