What's new

Yellowing leaves in seedling stage

Kyriakos

Hello guys!!!

My seedlings inner leaves has started to become light green/yellow and if you look closely on the picture you can see that the tips of the smaller leaves look burnt. I have a 600w MH lamp with cooltube and I raised it 10cm yesterday to be around 50cm from the plant.
I made a mistake and transplanted my seedling too early into bigger pots and the growth has been slow since germination (pic was taken 16 days after sprouted).

I have a problem understanding when the seedling phase ends and when you should start feeding nutrients for the vegetative stage.
Yesterday I gave the plant 50% of recommended nutrient dose to see if the yellowing is because it is time to start feeding.

Could someone help me solve this issue with the yellowing leaves?

Former Guest

It's not underfed. It's overwatered most likely which would also explain the slow growth. When you water too much, the nitrogen becomes unavailable and so you will see yellowing to a lime green and slow growth so it looks like it needs nitrogen when in reality, it's there but the plants can't uptake it cause they gave soggy overwatered roots.

Pick up your container before and after watering to compare weight. When it feels super lightweight, then you must water. Feel the weight after watering to compare to the feather light weight of a dry plant. This helped me as well as measuring out equal portion of water. A good rule of thumb is to water at 10-15%

Kyriakos

Thank you for your answer. I will wait for it to dry before watering again. I attach two new pictures of the plant. Are the three fingered leaves the second set of leaves in total? In that case, when is the start of the vegetative period and the time to start feeding veg nutrients?

Attachments

• seedling 2.jpg
    seedling 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
  • seedling 3.jpg
    seedling 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 8

Kyriakos

The yellowing dissapeared after some days after I waited to water untill it got dry. Things are looking fine until now but now I can see that some leaves has holes on them like some bug took a snack.. does anybody recognise these signs and can tell me what it is?

CoCoSativas

Your light was too close causing light bleaching.

I just had this problem with a big 200 watt cfl. I never used cfl in the past, mh to veg. I had read as close as possible with cfl.

Not with young plants, keep strong lights back or they will suffer.

My problem went away the day after I raised the lamp. The spotting started disapearing. It was for sure the light, and my money is thats your problem too.

CoCoSativas

The yellowing dissapeared after some days after I waited to water untill it got dry. Things are looking fine until now but now I can see that some leaves has holes on them like some bug took a snack.. does anybody recognise these signs and can tell me what it is?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60093&pictureid=1414722&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60093&pictureid=1414723&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60093&pictureid=1414724&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Ive also had unexplained holes in leaves that looked like bug chomps. Only one or two here and there over the years. Ive always assumed bugs but I dont really know

Latest posts

Latest posts