What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed storage problems

equiqed

Got the mason jar to 35 degress and 26% humidity. Is that good enough? I want the humidity to be optimal and I've tried 3 different rices help me guys

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I keep all my seeds (everything from favas to poppies to cannabis) in a small 4 can foam cooler in the back of the refrigerator. Silica gel beads with color change beads lines the bottom. Maybe once a year I have to recharge it. The cooler minimizes temp cycling with the fridge. I keep long term stuff in the freezer in a similar cooler.

Probably overkill but I have stock I literally cannot replace for any amount of money so I play it safe. Recently germinated 13 year old seeds from Mozambique with 95% germination rate.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
My oldest seeds are from early 2011. Had them only stored in the basement around 10 - 15C. One year ago i put them and other strains in the freezer, just in ziplocks, breeder packs or in paper. Still germinating good, nearly 100%... think i will continue with this. :)

equiqed

Got the brown instant rice to about 23% humidity and 35 degrees. Is that close enough to the ideal humidity percentage? I Got a light proof mason jar with rice in the jar and glass vials holding seeds/rice if that makes a difference. I just want my temps and humidity to be perfect before i put them in the fridge

Cannavore

Veteran
Got the brown instant rice to about 23% humidity and 35 degrees. Is that close enough to the ideal humidity percentage? I Got a light proof mason jar with rice in the jar and glass vials holding seeds/rice if that makes a difference. I just want my temps and humidity to be perfect before i put them in the fridge

trying to get your temps down in the jar before you store them seems pointless.

you're over thinking it a bit. i store my beans in the fridge and not once have i ever checked the humidity or temp of the fridge.

silica beads or rice in the tubes, rice on the bottom of the jar, stick the seeds in and put it in an undisturbed place in the fridge. normally towards the back will remain cooler when you open the door. i keep mine in the crisper and have no complaints.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Hey equiqed,

People have given you a ton ov valuable info here so far...

Here's another nugget of info for you from the URL I posted a few clicks up the page:
There are basically two types of seeds growing on this planet that you need to be made aware. They are:
Orthodox Seeds
Recalcitrant Seeds

What we need to know all about is Orthodox seeds, which are cannabis seeds.
They should be stored with reduced moisture in order to maintain viability of the cannabis seed. The process of reducing moisture, or desiccation as it is technically known, can be completed on Orthodox seeds down to relative moisture content of 4 to 7% and even ultra-desiccated (ultra-Dried) down to a moisture content of 1 to 3%.

Temperature and Moisture Content for Storage Maintenance of Germination Capacity of Seeds of Industrial Hemp, Marijuana, and Ditchweed Forms of Cannabis sativa.pdf

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
I just don't see how I can get to 7% humidity with rice so I need silica beads right
Rice CAN work.
Look at all the people who say they have used it successfully.
Desiccants also can work.

I could never get down to adequate moisture levels with rice.
If you use rice, it might be helpful to toast them lightly in a fry pan to dry it out further before use, but not completely necessary.

equiqed

I had some seeds for a couple of months and some up to a year and a half do I have to dry them out in paper bags like Sam skunk man recommends before putting them in vials with rice or is it fine as is? My seeds are my everything so of course Im trying to be ideal with this. Sorry if Im being annoying

Matt8800

I think the best way to store seeds is putting the small bag of seeds in a small sealable jar of rice. Putting in the fridge is best but let the jar warm to room temp before opening or you will get condensation/moisture.

Matt8800

when storing in the fridge, its very important to let the container warm to room temp before opening in or instant condensation/wetness...learned this the hard way with stored pollen

I went on a seed binge a few years ago. Got about 20 packs and a ton of freebies. Now I am starting to pop them all, and the ones that came in those little vials are popping fine. The ones that came loose in paper envelopes are giving me horrible germination rates. :( I didn't think they would be stored for this long so I didn't bother transferring them into something more permanent. It's really a bummer....

For seeds I make, I keep them in old black 35mm film canisters (remember those? lol) with a little rice. I don't keep anything in the fridge... they just stay cool and dark packed away in a safe place. Never have any germination issues and some of the ones I made are starting to get reallllly old.

So lesson learned for next time.... If planning on storing purchased seeds for a while, put them in something air tight (if not already) or they will desiccate and die.

(fwiw the paper packets that are lined with foil seem to be fine so far, though I have only popped one pack like that.) I have tried 3 packs in plain paper and am getting maybe 20% success. The packs in vials are avg'ing 90% success. 3+ years old, not stored in a fridge. Just cool, dark, and air-tight. I have been popping seeds with great success using the paper towel technique for over 20 years, so I know that's note issue.

Just thought I would share for those of you that are storing them in paper.

Terpz

I also use the 1 dram amber vials, stored in a cool dry place(not a fridge). Recently germ'd 3yr old stock with 100% success rates. Don't stress. Good luck!