What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed storage problems

equiqed

I've had some seeds for about a year and a half some not even a year and I was wondering if keeping them in a dark room temp and in a drawer closest to the floor and they're in breeders packs and then put in a tin or a little box. Should any germination rate go down ? only been a year and a half and they probably never seen past 75 degrees and 45% humidty in the drawer. I'm trying to put them in my fridge but the mason jar only goes down to 30% lowest and the whole jar is filled with rice. I know the ideal humidty is like 10% but is 30% that bad if the seeds are kept in breeders packs in a freezer bag. Silly questions I know but I'm sitting on some rare seeds and I dont want them to go bad.

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
They will still germ fine. I keep seeds just like you do, and I popped some a few months back that had been sitting for a couple years.

S

sourpuss

I would put them in the fridge for the longest lasting seeds... cool dark place works too..... cooler the better like a fridge lol

Easy7

Veteran
Get dram viles, they make up to 4 dram vile. Put seeds in with rice and a piece of paper with the strain name. Place in fridge and enjoy for years.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It doesn't matter. You can use any kind of rice, or dried grains, or legumes (I use dried lentils, actually), or even those silica gel packets that come in boxes of shoes. The whole point is to just suck up any trace amounts of humidity.

vostok

Veteran
Fridge up to a year or freezer both in rice, as its water/moisture/humidity thats the real danger here

jump /injack

Veteran
It doesn't matter. You can use any kind of rice, or dried grains, or legumes (I use dried lentils, actually), or even those silica gel packets that come in boxes of shoes. The whole point is to just suck up any trace amounts of humidity.

Hush you've mentioned before that you have a vacuum sealer, do you ever use that with seeds.

Cannavore

Veteran
sealed mason jar with dessicant packs and rice in the fridge. done and done. only time i get poor germ rates are when i pop seeds that were stored by someone else improperly.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hush you've mentioned before that you have a vacuum sealer, do you ever use that with seeds.

No, surprisingly. But only because I have never had a problem storing my seeds in a regular old tupperware container that I filled with lentils and put in the fridge. It's basically just a bucket of lentils with seed packs (and now pollen vials) shoved down into it, and put in the fridge.

I imagine vacuum sealing would only allow storage to continue onward indefinitely, if stored in refrigeration.

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i got seeds from 2006,-2009 i get great germ rates but i also keep them in a tupperware container in the crisper drawer in the fridge

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

I have vacuum sealed 7-8 strains in breeder packs. stored in a plastic gun attaché, 3-4 years.. could it be they had no air and dried out? I got zero germs.. since then, frig in a tin.. OTOH, I recently found some seeds from 2006/2007 (18 seeds) in a small test tube that was in the back of a plastic desk organizer, 7 opened, 4 actually germinated.. I like the dram container idea...

symbiote420

Veteran
I was just telling one of my peeps how I used to keep my bagseeds in plastic ziplock bags for 10+ yrs and still get good germ rates..... stored a few breeder packs recently the same way and had some of the poorest germ rates I ever got since 1st grade science class. I gave my mini fridge to my niece I used to keep my beans in, they've been in my cool MI basement this fall/winter because my kids go in the kitchen fridge too much to put em in there. Probably need to check Craigslist for another one before summer gets here but I wonder why these breeder packs are dudding out when those old bagseeds I kept didn't?

vostok

Veteran
Breeder packs I thought were temp storage only ..? I prefer glass jars with a spoon of rice to adsorb moisture, kept in the freezer for years, does me!

equiqed

One more question guys, what's the optimal temp amd humidity? I hear mixed answers for this I hear temps right above freezing is best amd a humidity between 10-30%

vostok

Veteran
Thats good , thats what I use ...local fridge and freezer setting....fridge at 3-5 C /35-39F
or if the freezer -5C/18F seems right, and humidity low as you can get it!