What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water proof floor with pond liner

pico

Veteran
Back when I first started growing in apartments I would put a tarp over the carpet to protect the floor. If there was any real water spill it would still get everything wet. I eventually started using plastic hydro tables to catch water runoff and that worked well. Even when you have hydro trays you still spill stuff. Now I usually work in concrete floors, but when I have carpet I put a piece of pond liner on the floor. Keeps it totally dry and your mind at ease. I have flooded my whole room on accident and just sucked up the water with a shopvac.

Pretty straight forward install, but here are some pictures from my setup. Regular bedroom about 10x15 feet. I got the pond liner around 13x18 so it would run up the walls and I can spill hundreds of gallons in there without it flooding. If you line the walls with black/white poly and overlap on the pond liner you could spray a hose in the room and it would all be caught in the pond liner.

Ok here is the carpet and the frame I made around the room. The frame is there to keep the pond liner raised up so no water will be running off. You don't need the frame on the walls, but 2x4s are cheap so I just framed it all in.

and here is what it looks like after the pond liner goes in and stapled to the walls.

See how the 2x4 raised up the pond liner. Door still opens but no spillage.

Pond liner is thick so don't worry about walking around on it or setting up your tables or whatever. The stuff is designed to stretch a little bit with roots and rocks and all that jazz.

Anyways, just another idea for people to think about. You can grab this stuff at home depot/lowes and maybe even your hydro store. Cost about $100 for this room so cheap compared to the cost of replacing carpet and anything else a big flood ruins.

G

i use pond liner...works so well.... worth every penny...I also use the botanicare tables you got... you have good taste :)

pico

Veteran
Samba- yeah this stuff is the shit. I think it even makes the room look better :)

meduzer- pond liner, botanicare tables, and trellis make up the backbone of my garden. Maybe buckets too, I use a lot of buckets. Oh yeah and Super Sun 2 hoods.....ok maybe I have a lot in my backbone... haha. Anyways, seems you have good taste yourself.

Thanks for poppin in guys/gals.

G

I like living life on the edge, or maybe i was just allitle to stonned and lazy :)

pico

Veteran
Stoned and lazy is why I do these pond liners. :) I deffinately spill a gallon or two once a week in that room. I had one huge flood when I forgot to turn off my pumps and I flooded the tables as well as the floor. A little shopvac work and no damage done.

G

Great idea Pico.

Inexpensive and easy to install. it also let's you sleep at night not.

Great info
GCG

Vdro

i tried getting away with putting extra panda film on the flooor i had, and lets just say i had a little slow leak in one of the 54g DWC tubes and was not happy in the end!

all the panda film did was cover up the leak (since it leaked under a tear) so i didnt notice it until 50 days later (mind you this 4 levels up in an apartment)

^^^ with that pond liner method that would have never happened! thanks pico

G

oh ya Super Sun 2 hoods I own 3 of these...cooltubes might be the next thing, but I love these things

NorCal

Veteran
man , i love your posts, i ve been up for four hours (since 8am) on a saturday just reading through all your threads, im definitely gonna do this in my next show since removing everything from my current one would be a pita...

Y

yamaha_1fan

Pice, you ever have to make a seam since the pond liner wasnt big enough to cover the room? If so, what did you use, just silicone?

Sweet thread pico... :joint:
If I had ever had to protect flooring for absolute certain...pond liner all the way!

I had a hose connection blow one time in a basement with no drain in it...about a 24x45ft floor space flooded 5" deep in about 12-14hrs...LOL!!!
2 400W ballasts were on the floor of the mother room...running under water!...
What a day :)

pico

Veteran
vdro- yeah I had a similar thing happen when I first started growing. I used a tarp and when I lifted that thing up after the grow it was not good. I ended up replacing the carpet in that room.

meduzer- I still am not sold on the cooltube. Deffinatley less friction for air movement, but I am all about the light. I don't think they will give me the same ammount of light that the Super Sun 2s give me. I keep talking about testing one of them, maybe one of these days I will.

yamaha1fan- Have not had to glue any of this stuff together just yet. My large rooms are usually concrete. There is seems in the stuff you buy though, so it is deffinately possible to glue together. If you called a pond place they could probably tell you. They are 15 feet wide so another option would be to just frame out sections on the floor and have multiple 15' wide sections. So like I have the 2x4's up against the walls in the above pictures, just section off your room every 14 feet or so with 2x4s. Glueing is what I would try first.

norcal- 4 hours, damn. Got some good reading in there. One of these days I am going to go back and read my own threads. Kind of fun seeing what you were thinking in months/years past.

anonymiss- Damn, sounds like a mess! So the 400w ballasts were still on under water? The lights were still running? I would have thought the breaker would trip.

GCG, Masterlow- thanks for stopping by.

G

Most likely the pond liner is butyl rubber........I rather suspect, based on common sense, that generic inner tube repair kits have what you need to bond the joints and fix leaks, just buy a repair kit for the biggest inner tube you can find.

Ty-Stik :jump:

pico said:
anonymiss- Damn, sounds like a mess! So the 400w ballasts were still on under water? The lights were still running? I would have thought the breaker would trip.
Yup, still running...completely submerged. I thought the oddest thing was that the water wasn't electrified!
Burnt out a Little-Giant pump and spent an entire day listening to a wet/dry vac...lol

pico

Veteran
yeah I have thought about that. I think someone around IC even did just that......I like the plastic botanicare reservoirs because I move stuff around all the time.

Might be a good idea to put some of this pond liner in your closet. 25-50 bucks for your space I am guessing.

pico

Veteran
They sell this stuff at home depot/lowes and probably most pond stores. But yeah 60 bucks delivered sounds like about the same price you would pay in town.

Best 60 bucks you will spend this month :)

Take a picture when it is installed to show off for us

Latest posts

Latest posts