What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long time grower, BAFFLED, Help please!

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Greetings icmag. Ive been absent for a while. Life happened, kids, work, kids, work, fun..did i mention work and kids?:laughing:

I'm here in the infirmary because 6 months ago I began a new project and my plants have all been seemingly infected since moving into this home. Let me give a quick background. I've been growing indoors for 15 years and have grown all these same strains for years in other spaces. I consider myself well versed and have dealt with seemingly most
all of the problems that cannabis growers run into. I consult for a number of growers in the town i live in and spent years on the forums learning, growing, and fucking up. Thanks for reading this far now stick with me here because this is not going to be an easy answer.

The space I built this grow in is in a dry mountainous climate, but the home actually has a seasonal spring that comes out of a granite slab under the home in a massive 20ft ceilinged space. I'm growing in the garage next to this space. The lower level of the home which is this granite slab room and garage definitely had a musty mildewy smell when i moved in. I've cleaned and filtered the air in the garage but the basement room next to it is not cleanable as it is raw earth and insulation and essentially a cave. Thats the lay of the land.

I've spent countless hours trying to find similar looking plants online. I've trouble shooted for PH, fungus, nutrient issues, fusarium, pests. I've tried a regular regimen of natural fungicides, foliar fed with teas and drenched with beneficials. Ive tried feeding them less, and feeding them more.

Onto the symptoms. Every plant in the home, which has plants in 5 different rooms/garage is showing symptoms. I brought in fresh plants from another spot of mine and they showed symptoms within a week. The symptoms seem to accelerate in lower light situations, and any symptoms related to nutrient deficiency obviously accelerate in stronger light areas. Symptoms are different in Veg and flower. Before I describe what the symptoms look like I'll tell you what I think I'm facing.

I believe the plants are infected with a virus and that this virus is both airborne AND living in the plant being passed from clone generation to clone generation. I also believe that because of so many different and varied symptoms that there may be more than one thing going on. They are weakened and other things are attacking.

At one point I thought is was Hemp Streak virus or tobacco mosaic (both of which i tested for with a culture kit and they came back negative), Then maybe fusarium but the roots generally feel strong in most of the plants and the stalks are stable and firmly planted. I'm perplexed. I've scoped for root aphids and inspected for broads and russets. No symptoms of any of those but what the hell i looked anyways.

Symptoms in veg: The edges of new growth twist and cup upwards. The serrated edges of the larger fan leaves turn upwards. Heavily blotched purple stems on all strains. Lastly and this also happens in flower is that half of a single blade of a leaf will look like it never grew or somehow disintegrated.

Flower symtoms: Random spots of leaf necrosis up to the size of a small coin. Leaves will eventually die and still hang from the plant and are not easily removed. In other words they still stay on the plant but the leaf is dead. As it gets worse the leaf loss accelerates. The way the leaves die in flower is the tips of the leaves roll backwards onto themselves like a fruit rollup(from the 80's!). This can also happen in veg. They also get a mosaic pattern on the leaves and will look a little mutated in size and shape.
Also and I've never seen this before is that half way through flower a few entire branches will look like they would if the plant were never watered and dried up and shriveled. That would spread within in the plant and by the end of flower a few plants looked as if they had died of draught. I've read this can be a symptom of fusarium wilt but the stems root systems seem strong on 90% of the plants.
I've lost about 10% of my plants each flower round to what i'm describing above. The ones that finish are yielding 30-40% less than what i hit regularly with these same strains in other spaces.
Its not a nutrient issue, temp issue/humidity issue, ph issue, co2 issue.
Please help. pictures to follow.:ying::thank you:

M

moose eater

Have you done a thorough test on your water source? Heavy metals? Other contaminants?

Are you using water from the spring?

"Mildew and musty" seem like indicators of fungal infection, but you've cleared several of the most horrible, so???? Morphed variety of fungal infection?

Good luck.

If fungal, I've cleaned areas with a combination of bleach and Borax, though the Borax can leave a granular residue, and can plug sprayers, etc., where scrubbing by hand isn't as feasible..

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 41

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Lastly some of them end up like this. I'm scared. scared this is going to happen to my entire garden. This garden is very important at this moment in my life. Help!

IMG_2002.jpg

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions Moose Eater I have not tested the water as I use the town water which has the same EC and PH as what it is in the rest of town, and i'm familiar with it from other places. We're known to have pretty high quality water (albeit loaded with chlorine). I'm going to install a water filter anyway because I need to check as many things off the list as quickly as possible.

I'm going to town on the rooms tomorrow with bleach in a sprayer and a commercial Ozone generator that i'm going to zap the rooms in the house with one at a time. Cheers

M

moose eater

Maybe I missed it.. What are you growing in? Have you tested your growing medium?

If it's affecting all plants that come to you, then it's something static in the environment; air, medium, water.... something that ALL of your plants are getting.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
If you check out this photo, it is clear that one side of the leaf is missing/has been eaten.

WHAT IT IS

Some kind of mites. They've eaten one edge of the leaf, and are small enough not to be detected by the naked eye.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=499612&d=1563088535

HOW TO GET RID OF IT

The answer will be some kind of insecticide (pre-flowering, of course).

Alternatively, what I've been growing in is media with lots of carbon and some calories, which grow fungi in the medium and throughout the plant (endophytic fungi), which act as anti-feedants for insects, and also protect against other fungi and bacterial infections.

My setup is, in a container that has a built in water reservoir:

mulch - hemp bedding or chopped straw
calorie layer - strewn oat flakes, a sideways sliced banana, covered by the mulch
light soil
supersoil
grow rocks
spacer
water reservoir

This setup allows all kinds of insects to create frass, which is fertilizer for plants. It also creates lots of food for non-harmful decomposing instects, which in turn attract predatory insects. Which then also attack harmful insects, especially outdoor.

If you also have a few small flowered plants around your plants (lavender, chamomille, etc.) you also attract pollen feeding insects, which are also predatory like wasps, hover flies, etc. If you put a few of their flowers under the mulch, the cannabis will adopt their terpenes, which helps them confuse insects.

Just watch out for spiders, because their webs are also highways for spidermites and similar insects, so keep their webs off your plants.

Last edited:

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Thanks Dank.Frank, it definitely resembles Iron def a it on the new growth but too many other symptoms that look nothing like Iron and my strains and nutrients have not switched in years. I also add Cal-mag in generous amounts.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Mooseeater I'm growing in tupur which is coco/perlite. New tuper and fabric pots each round since dealing with this issue. I also am using same pallets of tupur somewhere else and having no issues.

Tanzanian Magic I see how that could be assumed except there are no other signs of mite damage and I have searched extensively with 100x scope and seen zero mites anywhere.

Chuckyoufarley thats always possible but its happened in all the rooms and some rooms have no new equipment in them. Offgassing is one of those things that if i never figure it out i'm gonna just pick something, and maybe i'll pick offgassing :laughing:

EllieGrows

Veteran
I dont have any specific advice for you, but every garden takes time to dial in. I was in a similar situation moving to a new scene while dealing with other town gardens. I had seemingly random deficiencies issues i couldn't figure out, similar wilting issues..etc. Sometimes you have to look for multiple issues instead of just one. My first suggestion would be use even more calcium and use bottled co2 instead of a burner. Good luck!

Miraculous Meds

Id dig into the walls and inspect for rot and mildew damage. Clean and replace any material with mold growing in it. Then hepa filters on dehueys n air filters. maybe ozone or uv treat air in a room and see if that room improves.

The leaf dying but not falling off sounds like mildew probs. Fusarium to be specific, maybe an airborne strain, not root bound.
Some wettable powder sulfur sprays should help if its mildew. Just rinse off every couple sprays though, it can be phytotoxic.

Are your roots really healthy, or just ok?

M

moose eater

Mooseeater I'm growing in tupur which is coco/perlite. New tuper and fabric pots each round since dealing with this issue. I also am using same pallets of tupur somewhere else and having no issues.

Have you changed sources of your coco, and maybe checked for sodium/salts?

I only have used minor amounts of coco in some recent-past soilless mixes, but others who use it more pervasively, as a primary base, have spoken about frequent presence of salts, and rinsing.

Maybe?

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Do your leaves curl into think taco leaves in veg and/or affect new growth? Looks like you could have russet or broad mite damage. My plants looked exactly like yours, and I didnt know what it was untili figured it out. I'm not saying that it's BM's, but you might wanna inspect them further to make sure it's not. Hope this helps

Mr. Pantsoff

pinkus

Veteran
If you are assuming that the water is the same as the rest of town and that it's not the problem... I would rethink that and check it out.

Gry

Sure have enjoyed your previous grows and very much hope you find a resolution.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Ellie: Yeah man i hear ya. Sometimes mutliple things can go wrong and its possible to be running in circles misdiagnosing because one symptom doesn't line up with the other. Thanks for sharing

MMeds: I tried a sulfur burner to try and get shit that could be airborne, did not see any difference. I wonder about if a wettable sulfur could help to protect the plants if i spray it on them, i'll add it to the giveitatry list! gracias

Mooseeater I do think that is something to be aware of. I have used coco for a real time and i perform slurry tests on it to ensure its goodness. Good thought though, growing in bad coco never works!

Oliver: I'll look again. I know they are a terrible pest to deal with but at this point I would be happy just to know! Ive seen no signs but im going to get up and go search again. Thanks for the motivation.

Pinkus: I am assuming that because the EC and PH are the same as the rest of town and it comes from the municipal water supply, but yeah i suppose it could be something in my pipes. Worth investigating so thanks for the thought.

Gry: Hey i appreciate the kind words, everything seems like its been a struggle recently so thats nice to hear. I also appreciate the message and intend on a more thorough response when i come up to breath.

Gauss: the only thin i smoke or vape in my rooms is cannabis and I've been doing that forever. I'll definitely look further into the water though so thanks for the reinforcement on that thought!

Latest posts

Latest posts