What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Archers?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
This may seem like a troll comment, but ive wanted to ask this question ever since this thread got started.
How fast can you realistically shoot off arrows in a life or death situation? Obviously not "legolas the elf in Lord of the rings"-fast (1per second at least), but im thinking with a lot of practice one every 2-3 secs? That includes drawing it from the quiver. I think archers in medieval armies would plant some arrows in the ground in front of them when theyre about to start combat, maybe makes for a quicker reload. Then again i dont think they had to aim so much...

Reason i ask is because i always figured daryl from the walking dead would be better off with a bow instead of a crossbow, for faster firing. Then again a xbow has the advantage of you can have it continually ready to fire instead of having to draw it back just before u release, may also be better for close quarters, inside homes etc.

Earlmarne

This may seem like a troll comment, but ive wanted to ask this quemightstion ever since this thread got started.
How fast can you realistically shoot off arrows in a life or death situation? Obviously not "legolas the elf in Lord of the rings"-fast (1per second at least), but im thinking with a lot of practice one every 2-3 secs? That includes drawing it from the quiver. I think archers in medieval armies would plant some arrows in the ground in front of them when theyre about to start combat, maybe makes for a quicker reload. Then again i dont think they had to aim so much...

Reason i ask is because i always figured daryl from the walking dead would be better off with a bow instead of a crossbow, for faster firing. Then again a xbow has the advantage of you can have it continually ready to fire instead of having to draw it back just before u release, may also be better for close quarters, inside homes etc.

I do not believe a compound bow to be worth a shit for self defense

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Talk about a light bow...
Prob not more than 30lbs at full draw.

I've seen vids of one guy that can get off, if I recall correctly, 9 shots percent second.

Spaventa

Veteran
ha, I've decided what i want for Christmas :gift:

I need one of those speed shooting bows. Im going to the local archery shop and shoot some tomorrow. I know he has a few horse bows which would be ideal. Ill get a light one because Im only going to use it for the yard and that way the girls, even the righties, can shoot it. We can have family speed shootouts :woohoo:

N

NBE One !

Daryl should have been eaten by zombies a long time ago.

Wasn't going to speak but yes ... Capt Ahab, that dude seriously needs to get the hair out of his eyes.
Cool like that.NOT ! Can Make your own Sight Go Weird ,for the time " nO Zero" pls , chuckle chuckle (-: .

Bababooey -'" no one trusts an elf " (-: - surfing the steps at Helms Deep(?) AND fireing that Bow at the same time! . (-: ... Oh Classic

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Cool vid, spaventa. Should have searched on youtube before asking this question.
I guess if you're not aiming/sighting too much (like for headshots or a moving target) you can get pretty fast at shooting arrows. Also, if targets are pretty close, you probably dont have to do much aiming anyway.
Of course modern firearms are preferable for self defense; on the other hand, getting an arrow in a limb or torso has to be painful even if it doesnt hit anything important.
But in a post apocalyptic scenario, a bow would have the advantage of being relatively quiet (although guns can be silenced also) and have renewable/reusable ammo. Arrows that are undamaged after firing can be reused, and i guess theoretically it's possible to make ur own arrows. Or at least easier than trying to make your own bullets.

I think daryl killed as many zombies by stabbing them in the head with a crossbow bolt when they got close as he did actually shooting them with the crossbow.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty sure if an enemy were shot by an arrow and lived it would be a bit more psychologically devestating to, not only the person that get shot but, his/her comrades as well.

Not to mention...
If war were still fought with knives & poles in close quarters combat, it's would get far less support.

Spaventa

Veteran
If there was a warning on TV right now, that this shit was somehow real and had broken out and there was days until thousands of us turned, weapons would be a priority but th every first thing I would buy for my whole family are these stainless steel micro chainlink suits. They are for protection from shark bites. They cover the whole body like wet suit. THEN Id get us each swords. Thats insurance. It will keep killing fuckers as long you can swing it. Decapitation or cranial trauma neutralises the threat instantly, one little dig, or poke. It would be easy they're so slow. Id leave all my Archery stuff for hunting for food, safely in the Solar powered 4 x 4 motorhome. I say me and my family would be in the season finale :dance013:
I might keep a few of the more chilled ones to work a generator for when theres no solar. Maybe see if weed cures them. keep them away from the heavy indicas though..theyd be more like zombies and stop worrying the generator lol

7zmz3mhexhbf7w

Cool vid, spaventa. Should have searched on youtube before asking this question.
I guess if you're not aiming/sighting too much (like for headshots or a moving target) you can get pretty fast at shooting arrows. Also, if targets are pretty close, you probably dont have to do much aiming anyway.
Of course modern firearms are preferable for self defense; on the other hand, getting an arrow in a limb or torso has to be painful even if it doesnt hit anything important.
But in a post apocalyptic scenario, a bow would have the advantage of being relatively quiet (although guns can be silenced also) and have renewable/reusable ammo. Arrows that are undamaged after firing can be reused, and i guess theoretically it's possible to make ur own arrows. Or at least easier than trying to make your own bullets.

I think daryl killed as many zombies by stabbing them in the head with a crossbow bolt when they got close as he did actually shooting them with the crossbow.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Pretty sure if an enemy were shot by an arrow and lived it would be a bit more psychologically devestating to, not only the person that get shot but, his/her comrades as well.

I think thats one of the strategies in war, that an injured combatant is better than a dead one, because an injured one takes an additional combatant or two out of the fight because they need to be treated medically.

If there was a warning on TV right now, that this shit was somehow real and had broken out and there was days until thousands of us turned, weapons would be a priority but th every first thing I would buy for my whole family are these stainless steel micro chainlink suits. They are for protection from shark bites. They cover the whole body like wet suit. THEN Id get us each swords. Thats insurance. It will keep killing fuckers as long you can swing it. Decapitation or cranial trauma neutralises the threat instantly, one little dig, or poke. It would be easy they're so slow. Id leave all my Archery stuff for hunting for food, safely in the Solar powered 4 x 4 motorhome. I say me and my family would be in the season finale :dance013:
I might keep a few of the more chilled ones to work a generator for when theres no solar. Maybe see if weed cures them. keep them away from the heavy indicas though..theyd be more like zombies and stop worrying the generator lol

View Image

Going full on medieval knight (steel armor and swords) would be a good tactic against zombies, assuming they dont just overwhelm you with numbers. Then again, even knights respected the power of the bow; sometimes, you dont want to get up close and personal if you dont have to...

You can add a scope and laser sight to a bow, can't you? Well, maybe not a scope, it wouldnt be possible to have it close enough to your eye...

Spaventa

Veteran
I think thats one of the strategies in war, that an injured combatant is better than a dead one, because an injured one takes an additional combatant or two out of the fight because they need to be treated medically.

Going full on medieval knight (steel armor and swords) would be a good tactic against zombies, assuming they dont just overwhelm you with numbers. Then again, even knights respected the power of the bow; sometimes, you dont want to get up close and personal if you dont have to...

You can add a scope and laser sight to a bow, can't you? Well, maybe not a scope, it wouldnt be possible to have it close enough to your eye...

No need. bows are very accurate without any sight :)

last few minutes prove that these trip shots are tries anyone who practises can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWAgxtLyUPo

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Something like a holographic sight could be made to work...

But...

Batteries n stuff!

Yeah, I always thought that archery would be a good skill to have just in case TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) happens, and it would be. But bows and arrows break and need maintenance, and actually making a functional bow and arrows doesnt seem like it would be easy (probably impossible if you're dealing with special materials like graphite or carbon fiber). Plus, being a bowyer or fletcher is a whole different skillset than just maintaining or modifying your equipment.
Still easier than making your own gun from scratch, though.
It's like the old mad max movies, which is probably a more realistic post-apocalyptic scenario than zombies. Guns and ammo were really scarce and most everyone used crossbows for ranged weapons. And fuel was scarce but for some reason everyone had a car with a 600 horsepower engine which gets like 5mpg, less at full throttle...

Spaventa

Veteran
Yeah, I always thought that archery would be a good skill to have just in case TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) happens, and it would be. But bows and arrows break and need maintenance, and actually making a functional bow and arrows doesnt seem like it would be easy (probably impossible if you're dealing with special materials like graphite or carbon fiber). Plus, being a bowyer or fletcher is a whole different skillset than just maintaining or modifying your equipment.
Still easier than making your own gun from scratch, though.
It's like the old mad max movies, which is probably a more realistic post-apocalyptic scenario than zombies. Guns and ammo were really scarce and most everyone used crossbows for ranged weapons. And fuel was scarce but for some reason everyone had a car with a 600 horsepower engine which gets like 5mpg, less at full throttle...

You can improvise a bow and arrow quite easily and quickly with very limited resources. Shoe laces joined could give you a very capable bow string. You could easily get a 30lb draw going with well chosen and dried sapling. If you found some willow to split and whittle you could mae very shootable arrow shafts. Stone heads are easy to nap and you got a lethal ranged weapon thats can take a person out for 20 yards easily, maybe more with some luck. Good ambush or defence weapon if theres a few of you. I'd make a spear first, for defence while I'm working on the bow. A big sharp stick takes minutes to find and can easily even things up between you and a bear. Ive always thought a guy with 3ft garden fork would be hard to handle without a gun or bow. We are surrounded by lethal weapons everyday really

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
You jest, but when the apocalypse hits, im teaming up with spaventa.
With all the metal that would be available in such a scenario, is it possible to build bows out of steel and wire? I mean, harder than making it out of wood and string, sure, but also more powerful and durable.
Would a 30lb draw be enough for deer? Probably not, because of the limited range and penetration. Almost any wild animal has tougher skin than a human i would think...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
35lbs@28in is the min (legal) draw weight in CO for hunting big game.

I’m not confident enough to chase more than chipmunks yet though.
I figure if I can consistently get them munks I’ll be alright for hunting. I’ve got a lot of practice to get to.

Latest posts

Latest posts