What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lets talk em1, bim, imo, and any other benificial bacs n fungis n effective micro org

MileHighLife

This is from the Tera Ganix website: "EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication."

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats a damn fine brew you got going, mile high

i'm planning on using my hot peppers in the garden plus garlic and ginger.... will welcome some acetic acid to the mix

HAZE FIEND

I've just recently started brewing up my own EM1 as well but I started with a culture from Tera Ganix and am using their recipe for Activated EM1. I also have a batch of what Tera Ganix calls "EM5" that just finished fermenting so I'll be alternating between neem/karanja and EM5 for IPM. Here's the basic recipe for EM5:

1 part EM1
1 part Molasses
1 part white or apple cider vinegar
1 part distilled alcohol
20 parts water
Add plant material with known pesticide properties (I used red peppers and chives from my garden and I'm going to add neem cake next time around).

View Image

This is from the Tera Ganix website: "EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication."
brilliant come across this myself too i love how benificial that bacterias can be if used in correct ways and i know that normal lacto or em is not meant to control any pests but since i watered it into my soil mix the thrips i had before seem to have cleared right up unless maybe the weather is changing now n has affected there population? but iv only seen the odd bitemark that look old now so maybe it mixed with somethin in my soil mix or my teas that made it simmilar to em5 maybe.. interesting.. thanks for your contribution milehighlife very good n clear! stay in touch bro! :biggrin:

:thank you:

HAZE FIEND

They call it chitosan lactate, is that because they dissolve it in lactic acid? I was thinking about using malted barley as my sugar source as it has a lot of enzymes (chitinase being one of them). I think there is some potential here, now where is my shrimp feast?
brilliant idea bro keep us posted and is your shrimp feast another ferment u made with the lacto bro or somethin else? if so would love to hear ingredients n process ;)

HAZE FIEND

thats a damn fine brew you got going, mile high

i'm planning on using my hot peppers in the garden plus garlic and ginger.... will welcome some acetic acid to the mix
u know bro i hear all those ingredients by thereselfs are great natural insecticides if concocted into a brew for sprayin n drenchin so added into a em5 mix with lacto too shud be a fantastic natural pesticide right?

i wonder if anyones gonna chime in with some great bokashi info next that would really get this thread kicking then :biggrin: also still tryna find that website for fermented plant extract recipes..

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I strained my cannabis leaves/tops FPE the other day. It smelled terrible. Not foul as in a bad batch, but an astringent sweet medicine smell. I kind of forgot about it for three weeks. Was this too long? It made the whole room reek, guess what i sprayed to get rid of the smell? Lactobacillus! I will test it on some clones to see what it does.

HAZE FIEND

I strained my cannabis leaves/tops FPE the other day. It smelled terrible. Not foul as in a bad batch, but an astringent sweet medicine smell. I kind of forgot about it for three weeks. Was this too long? It made the whole room reek, guess what i sprayed to get rid of the smell? Lactobacillus! I will test it on some clones to see what it does.
only trial n error will tell i guess bro yea try it on a few spare clones n see if makes em happy or pisses em off or kills em i guess but im not sure myself dont have the experience to say but usually if it gets a sweet or mediceney or alcoholy smell, then i think it usually is a good sign its ok i think most things show that they gone bad by smellin like sewage n straight up doodoo or havin a fishy smell with most things if they gone bad bro from what iv read anyways.. with the exeption of fish emulsion f.p.e's n even they apparently usually have there fishy smell took away by the lacto once its all done if its a good batch but u prob know from making your own that u shared previous huh bro? does it usually take the smell away from your fish fpe?

HAZE FIEND

also doing mineral extractions with native sand and specific rock dusts, letting those ferment longer than the fruit ones

insect frass is up next on the list....
AND more IMO/BIM
hey bro i was just very curious so that i knew for my own reference, what minerals was u extractin outa the sand n specific rock dusts? as i know u can obviously get phos from volcanic rock phos etc but was just curious what rocks u was gettin what minerials outa, n what sands u was gettin what minerals outa.. thanks bro

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The fish FPE smells less fishy than fish emulsion. It still has a slightly fishy smell, especially if you get it on your hands.

HAZE FIEND

The fish FPE smells less fishy than fish emulsion. It still has a slightly fishy smell, especially if you get it on your hands.
sweet so the lacto in your extracts did detensify the fishy smell tho yea? so yea i must have read right then bro that if any f.p.e smells fishy or like sewage then its gone bad exept for the exeption of the actual fish 1 n even that detensifys

n back to the fpe's, if its sweet or alcoholy or mediciney then its pretty good sign that your extract is good to use n went right bro ;) like u say tho just try on some spairs to test n see first..

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also still tryna find that website for fermented plant extract recipes..
theunconventionalfarmer.com

depends on the rocks and what makes up the sand what you are extracting from it.
calcite dust is calcium, there are things like wollastonite which is calcium silicate (calcium and silica). i've fermented freshwater clamshells and oystershell meal and eggshells... all calcium.
potassium feldspar dust.....
quartz dust...
basically you could get a lab test done on some sand or rock dust to know what is in it about, and what could potentially be extracted.

i'm into rock collecting and mining, and mine history, so by knowing what minerals are present in what areas and mines you know what about is in the rocks and sands around different areas of the state....

HAZE FIEND

depends on the rocks and what makes up the sand what you are extracting from it.
calcite dust is calcium, there are things like wollastonite which is calcium silicate (calcium and silica). i've fermented freshwater clamshells and oystershell meal and eggshells... all calcium.
quartz dust...
basically you could get a lab test done on some sand or rock dust to know what is in it about, and what could potentially be extracted.

i'm into rock collecting and mining, and mine history, so by knowing what minerals are present in what areas and mines you know what about is in the rocks and sands around different areas of the state....
ah ok very kool bro! n na i know that site but there was another 1 i found thats another cannabis forum looked sumfin like the grasss city 1 if i remember right but had this 1 guy that came up in a google search that was really good! he had every type of fpe n extract n lacto by product u cud think of n was a great informational thread i need to remember whos computer i bookmarked it too.. also i cant remember what other forum it was on but a guy caled lumper dawg or sumfin had sum great info on all these subjects too..

thanks again bro u really always bring some top expert info n advice to the table top man! :biggrin: :smoke:

HAZE FIEND

quartz dust...

so basically what your sayin is, that any rock or literally any thing known to have a certain mineral content in, we can extract that with our lacto using fermentation? the time it takes dependin on what material used n how much of a solid it is yes? if so then im soooo glad i decided to look right into lactobacillis..

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so basically what your sayin is, that any rock or literally any thing known to have a certain mineral content in, we can extract that with our lacto using fermentation? the time it takes dependin on what material used n how much of a solid it is yes? if so then im soooo glad i decided to look right into lactobacillis..

i'm not saying you CAN, im saying you can try.
:laughing:

i'm no chemist, more of a hillbilly scientist
i don't know IF potassium feldspar dust will break down into plant available form when soaked long time in labs / em1... it might, if it doesn't what have i lost? nothing but time - can still use the em1 and rock dust.
i wouldn't use solid rock, i think you have a much lower chance of any extraction with that much lower surface area. dust has higher overall surface area than a solid rock
:peacock:

HAZE FIEND

i'm not saying you CAN, im saying you can try.
:laughing:

i'm no chemist, more of a hillbilly scientist
i don't know IF potassium feldspar dust will break down into plant available form when soaked long time in labs / em1... it might, if it doesn't what have i lost? nothing but time - can still use the em1 and rock dust.
i wouldn't use solid rock, i think you have a much lower chance of any extraction with that much lower surface area. dust has higher overall surface area than a solid rock
:peacock:
gotcha bro makes sense to try n see i guess as lacto seems to be able to extract most stuff outa most stuff so it cant hurt to try as long as u know what u extracting from dont have anythin that will kill benificial bacs n fungis n yea makes sense to try with already dusted types of rock to make the process as quick as possible thanks again m8 i like to always try lookin at things from as many different angles as possible u never know what might work better than other methods til u try huh..:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts