What's new

EZ Cloner killing starts. Need Advice.

Got a ez cloner from a friend, who got it from a friend, and noone knew when it was last actually used.
I bought a manifold and inserts off Amazon, and picked up a pump.
On my 2nd crop I got a white film on the cuttings and no roots.
So I used some pool chlorine at 50-50 water and ran it through the system for 4 hours.
Then I emptied and ran fresh water for another 2 hours.
Then disassembled everything, the manifold is not glued, so everything broke down.
I let everything dry out before use.
Then I made sure PH was 6.0, temp was 76, and used Green RX LIFE cloning solution for nutes.
After 1 week I checked, and the fucking white scum is back.
I can see one start started a root.
Here's the pictures.
What is wrong?
Thanks.
picture.php

picture.php

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I do not know anything about the rooting additive you use, most people have success with plain water, so I would remove that variable and go with plain water until things are running fine, then and only then add it and do a controlled test to see if it actually helps

The white slime, has to be some contaminant, it might be the Green RX LIFE playing up with something, or something else, are you using any PVC hose in any of the system ? Low pH hydro solutions attack PVC, leaching the nasty plasticisers (softeners) out, you find milky slimy residue inside garden hoses, if you have used some in the plumbing here it is the prime suspect IMO.

From what you say about the Chlorine you already know how important absolute hygene is with these, you are not going above 23C ? Some people do, but you must use Chlorine or H2O2 to kill all life in the solution or you get problems, it is also an "advanced technique" probably not best playing with till you have it all running right in the first place

gmanwho

Veteran
i have 4 ezcloners stacked up in the corner. i have tried everything. an im not into changinf the water every 5 days. tried chlorine, anitbiotics from the fish store, hydrogen peroxide. put a chiller into one of them. was able to keep temps 70, 65, 75 where ever i wanted. still sucked but then there's people who never have problem....

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Are u adding air? If so stop..
Are u dipping clones in a solution? Clonex,dip n grow? If not? Start ; )

Having those issues I would run chlorine the whole time. ... they can take 3ml per gallon I think I recall.

76 is way too warm for easy cloner, you will rot out every time. Its a fine line between having roots in 7 days and having a bunch of rotten stems. I use straight tap at 7.6 pH 40ish PPM. No additives and have no problems. The water will heat up in the res, so if its warm ill swap a few pints for fresh cold tap water once a day. I clean between runs of clones, but Ive kept clones going for 30day with 1/4 strength nutes. Warm water will ruin you every time.
picture.php

F. Dupp

Veteran
In an ez clone 120, I run RO water with 1ml per gal Orca, 2ml per gal Clonex liquid, and 2 cups EWC tea. I use an oversized air pump with a 12in airstone from Walmart and put a seedling heatmat under the cloner to bring temps up to 81f. I usually start getting roots by day 6 and almost always get 100% roots.

Golden Tree

Agree...

Clean entire unit with bleach....and run so sprayers clean out properly...

Use some city tap water...(chlorine)...and cut it with R/O water...PPMs..60-90

Chlorine will keep system clean..

There is so many variables...opinions....it's probably one small thing that's causing the issue...you sound like you're on your way...

Example...I run a aquarium heater in my cloning reservoir...78-80...(I've NEVER had stem rott) but I keep room temp at 72-74...and with the heated root zone pushes roots FAST!...4-5 days...so find what works for you...giver!

Good luck buddy...play around...experiment...;)

Much loves...good vibes...

GT

No gels...no nothing...it's just not necassary

Agree...

Clean entire unit with bleach....and run so sprayers clean out properly...

Use some city tap water...(chlorine)...and cut it with R/O water...PPMs..60-90

Chlorine will keep system clean..

There is so many variables...opinions....it's probably one small thing that's causing the issue...you sound like you're on your way...

Example...I run a aquarium heater in my cloning reservoir...78-80...(I've NEVER had stem rott) but I keep room temp at 72-74...and with the heated root zone pushes roots FAST!...4-5 days...so find what works for you...giver!

Good luck buddy...play around...experiment...;)

Much loves...good vibes...

GT

No gels...no nothing...it's just not necassary

Goes to show you just have to find what works for your spot. Im suprised to here that. Just wanted to add that I dont dome, and only mist once when I first put em in the cloner. Once you get it dialed GT, you wont go back, it doesnt get any easier.

Not sure how many clones u need for each start up...but there are such SIMPLE CLONING methods that cost less than $20 to set it up...REMEMBER, this industry is turning into a huge market worldwide and ppl are jumping on the band wagon telling u that their product is essential for success....the fact is that sorting thru all the hype can be mind boggling if u do not already know what methods work best....when I started growing, there was NO manufacturer of hydroponic supplies such as easy cloner or whatever they are naming their BS....we simple did what what worked the best and to this day, I still start clones the same way I did 30 yrs ago...I cant remember EVER having a clone not root and thrive...
I use a 4ft fluorescent shop fixture with COOL WHITE bulbs...I HAVE NEVER SEEN a bulb type out do one of these for cloning and seedlings...COST WITH BULBS $15 (or less)...8oz styro coffee cups with 3 or 4 holes popped in the bottom sides...fill those with a 50/50 mix perlite/vermiculite and prewet with a very dilute bloom formula (I use a 1/4 tsp per gallon of dyna bloom or similar)...a standard starter tray will hold 18 of these and u can fit 2 trays the long way under the light fixture...4 if u put them side by side which is still plenty of light for cuttings...u can use cardboard paint white for reflector panels around this set up...then I take a clear solo for domes on each with a half dollar size hole cut in it for air exchange...scratch the cutting on the stem lightly with your razor on a 90° angle...this mild abrasion helps roots to form...dust it (tap of excess, important) or dip if u use a liquid..stick into a pre-poked hole and firm it around the stem...put on the lid and walk away...keep about 1 in of pH'ed water in the tray for 2 weeks and the light about 8"over them...then remove the lids...they will be rooted...then let the water get used btwn watering if not needed immediately...if u have the need for a bunch of cuttings, u can expand and use a full humidy dome (also well vented)...u do not want your humidity domes to have condensation buildup...thats too wet and u will have ur cutting tips rot off...I have never seen any premade cutting systems that work as well...found an old pic in my gallery that shows it better...YT

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since you're already using the pool shock,
Wash your cloner as normal then fill with RO or Tap water & add 1/8 tsp pool shock and run for 24-48 hrs then add clones. It can get 80 degrees H2O temp & as long as your system is sterile you'll remain golden. Roots take a bit longer using this method but it works & thats what matters.

Oh yeah... this was my solution to EZ CLONER not working any longer as well.

Get some physan-20 to clean the machine in the future. Also, swap out the collars for aftermarkets made out of a better material. Roots will grow into the stock ezclone collars and cause issues a couple runs down the line.

booghy

Crazy to hear of problems with an EZ Cloner....its been the least problematic piece of equipment I've ever owned. I use plain water and have beautiful roots in 10-14 days. It sits in a cabinet in my flower room and gets very warm but I've never had rot. I dump and add fresh water every couple weeks and empty and fill with mild bleach solution every month or so and let that run for an hr then dump and fill and I'm off running again. Pick up some pant hoes and place over ur pump to keep the roots out of the sprayers. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have 100% success everytime and I've had the same unit for 7 years.

Get a Apollo 4 mins off 1 min on fixed cycle timer. The water gets too hot because the pump runs constantly. 4 mins off 1 on is perfect. Saves you energy, saves you pump life, saves you from rotting. Win, win, super win.

booghy

Get a Apollo 4 mins off 1 min on fixed cycle timer. The water gets too hot because the pump runs constantly. 4 mins off 1 on is perfect. Saves you energy, saves you pump life, saves you from rotting. Win, win, super win.

I used to care a lot about the temps. I put bottles of water in the freezer that I would toss in to cool down the water. Then I was going to go the timer route but then read some people say the pump wears faster due to the constant on/off. Finally I learned to stop fussing and just leave the thing alone. I don't even unplug it or open the lid at all. Place cuts in and forget about them for 10-14 and then plant them. Usually 8-10" of perfectly white roots ready to take off. To each their own but I can't imagine any more full proof method.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to add clear Rez, and gh rapid start. You need your rooms humidity to be 60 to 75 percent. Clear Rez will prevent the disease that causes rot from forming. It makes a huge difference. Also make sure your spray jets arnt clogged

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to have tons of issues with Ez cloners, until I used the clear Rez.
Now I get perfect white roots.