What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colloidal Silver Project

smilley

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

This is a female clone flowered shortly after rooting. It's at day F30 and I've been spritzing it with colloidal for the full duration of 12/12. It looks totally male except for female pistils at the major nodes.

I've flowered plenty of males over the years and if it was a regular male it would be dropping pollen by now. The sacks aren't opening (yet). I've read that you have to cut the sacks open sometimes. I did cut open several sacks and one appeared to contain a small amount of pollen. I applied it to the female pistils on this plant to see if it's viable. I guess I'll know in a day.

This is my second try at reversing a female. Last year I got the plant to a similar stage but no pollen was present. I even went so far as to dry the bananas, grind them and applied to a female. No luck.

If anybody has some insight or experience working with colloidal silver, I could use some advice. All I can think is to wait till the sacks are more mature and maybe it'll freely drop pollen or cut them up when they"re more mature?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
when did you begin spritzing with CS?

from your post above it appears you began at start of flowering.

my experience dictates beginning to spritz prior to 12/12, by two weeks...and then two weeks into flower you will be able to tell if it's working or not.

it is beautiful, healthy, vibrant...be patient.

good luck!

let it go until it drops pollen, if it refuses it may be you need try another varietal. just sayin'.

smilley

Veteran
Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yes I started spritzing on day 1 of 12/12. I'll sit tight and let her/him do it's thing.

smilley

Veteran
No, I bought it at the Health Food Store. Here in Canada the strongest available is 20 ppm. I spritzed them twice a day, I've read that 30ppm is best.

jackel

Ive made CS and used it a couple of times. One strain of mine I got it to form nuts and wouldn't create pollen. I think this strain is so damn stable it won't produce pollen. Other strains did tho. I had to open the pods up to get the pollen tho.

jackel

I didn't keep track of days, but if I had to guess, I'd say 4-5 weeks. I even tried spraying my difficult plant 2x a day for week before flower, and 2x a day till full male flowers were showing.

smilley

Veteran
Day F34

Day F34

picture.php

So, the sacks are opening. The pollen isn't freely dropping but when I plucked off an open cluster a small puff of pollen came out. I plucked a couple of dozen clusters off with tweezers and just rolled them between my finger and thumb over the glass and collected this.

I'm going to let it dry for 24 hours in a dark place. Then I'll package it in a little paper envelope and store it with the rest of my pollen in the freezer. My plants for the next crop won't be ready to flower for 3 more weeks so I'm probably about 7 weeks from using it. I've put the plant back under it's light and I'll collect another batch in a couple of days then destroy it.

I'm really stoked. :dance013: I have a favourite sister to this plant I'm going to pollinate. Of course there's no guarantee that the pollen is viable. Right now I'm just hoping that none of my females that are late in flower get any pollen. I've got good seperation but mistakes can happen.

scientia

Are my number right?

It took 34 days to first pollen, and you treated the plant every day with 20ppm CS?

I'm just trying to compare CS to what I use (STS). I have always wondered what the differences would be.

Good job, man. That plant looks good.

scientia

Yes, your numbers are correct. What is STS?

STS is "silver thiosulfate solution". It is a combination of silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate mixed in water. The silver ion is the actual component responsible for the inhibition of ethylene biosynthesis (lack of ethylene is what causes the male flower to grow on female plants, in this case), and the thiosulfate acts as a carrier. The silver becomes "complexed" to the thiosulfate... you can almost compare it to a chelated substance.

It took anywhere from 21-28 days to see male flowers from the first treatment, and I didn't write it down but I am guessing roughly the same time as yours (34 days) to first pollen. The only difference is that I only have to spray the plants twice (first treatment is the same day flowering is induced, and the second treatment was one week later. After that you just wait. It works great.

One difference is that my plants still have quite a few female flowers (probably 1/3-1/2 are female), where your plants look like natural males.

I am sure you can find it other places, but if you are interested I will post how I mix it, etc. It's inexpensive (per dose), easy, and very effective.

smilley

Veteran
Thanks for the info scientia. First time I've ever heard of STS. Sure, feel free to post the mixing instructions and maybe let us know where we can buy the chems retail. If you've got pics, post em as well...

My plant was mostly male except for female pistils at the nodes below the male clusters.

smilley

Veteran
Pollination Test

Pollination Test

Hello again. The females are at about 3 weeks into flower. I used the second batch of pollen that I collected to do this test. I never actually refrigerated this pollen, just kept it in a dark cool place. I think it's been about 6 or 7 weeks so the viability of this batch of pollen is questionable.

This is the test plant, it's an identical clone to the female pollen donor so this will be a selfing. I tagged the target branch with a white twist tie.

For an applicator, I'm just using a twisted up piece of paper towel. I just smear the end of the applicator into the pollen and apply it to the buds like a brush.

I was hoping to get a good pic of the top bud before pollinating but this will have to do. I should know in a day or so if pollination was successful as the pistols should start to schrivel.

I'm going to wait another week before I use the frozen pollen on the real target female. I want the buds to be a little bigger. It's a sister of the pollen donor so I think the results should be considered f2's??