What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disc Golf

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Anyone enjoy this sport as much as I do? Easy for all ages, anyone can participate in a round of disc golf. Played just like golf but with frisbees called "Discs". You throw off the tee and try and make it in the basket (instead of a hole) in as little strokes as possible. You have drivers, mid ranges, putters, etc.... Its a great activity to do by yourself or with a group.

I am absolutely hooked!

So any discers?
:smokey:

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Been flingin for many years...insanely fun and enjoyable if you ask me!

oJ0qDlfRuehts5UDlogw_Backyard%20Frisbee%20Deck.gif

Oh man, I'm gonna have to get back out and play a round now. I have't played in a while, used to be absolutely hooked. 3-4 rounds a day on average.

Got any favorite discs? I'd be hard pressed to pick... Beast or Wraith for me. Both made by Innova. Really love my Discraft Predator as well, though....

FLAgreenthumb

I love it.... just started about 4 months ago... went with my cousin, who has been playing for years...
He doesn't burn... But come to find out most of the people he plays with do...lol
I'm hooked!

I still remember when I first started out. Took me about 4-6 months of playing to even figure out how to throw it straight. Gotta be perfectly straight across your chest with a good snap to get any kind of distance.

I used to "raise" my arm somewhat near the end of my throw, like throwing uphill almost. As a result my disc would fade entirely too early due to fighting gravity.

Played a course in West Virginia once. Absolutely insane playing on the side of a mountain. Lost 2 discs in the first 9 holes haha.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Checkin in , I play a lil somnsomn. Im not competitive but I do know Speedy , the guy who runs the dghall of fame , and a few other semi-pros.

I enjoy the walk with my dogs and the companionship of a round with old friends and family.

That said, Ive given away as many discs in me quiver to newbies as I have in there currently. Its fun to help spread the game around.

I went out to San Fran a couple years ago and played like 3 courses for my first ever experience. Played GGpark, a lil 9 holer in santa cruz and my favorite , Pinto Lake, down in watkinsville , I think? Reaally badass course. I have one very similar 3 miles from me thats got major elevation changes, heavily wooded fairways and very leggy. I took my brother out on it last weekend and its the hardest one hes ever played. He wont stop talking about it.

Planning a vacation , Im always looking for new courses to play while Im there. Ive probably played in 7 different states and havent found a course I didnt like.

Im rambling , sorry - but um yeah
I love it more than regular golf!

I just got out to play for the first time in about a year, yesterday.

I play all holes as a par 3 (on any course, doesn't matter) and threw for a 58 (+4). I'll take that.

Almost skip-aced hole 1 too! Imagine that, an ace on your first throw after a 8-10 month hiatus. Still no aces yet, though.

I can throw 300+

Got a decent arm, just working on my finesse a little bit. Played a round today and finished up +2. Think I'm gonna head down to Georgia next month for a 3-day tourney.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
I must of been absolutely blazed when I started this thread. Zero recollection!:biggrin:

Haven't been playing, got strung out again and of course stopped doing the things that brought me a sense of joy..

I'm on the straight and stoned again.. Approaching five months clean off of Heroin and Meth.

Played a few rounds and lost my disc game. I was shooting under at my local course. One day I swear shot a -9 on the front nine. Lately I've been bogie-ing every hole. I introduced my coworkers to the game though and we're all hooked. Anybody been playing lately?

KONY

Veteran
i laid my bike down on some ice - my knees been fucked for 3 months - 0 rounds in 6mos for me

So too good for chat than too?

I kid, but on a more serious note I didnt play once last fall because I was too busy. Going to change that this year.

Ah disc golf, the sport of kings. The ultimate gentlemanly pursuit. Haven't played in a few years, but used to play quite a bit and really love it. Not many courses close by to where I live now, but Vancouver was great for courses. There is nothing like playing a few holes, setting up camp on a bench on the course, having a puff and getting to work on the beers with your buddies. Then realizing that the guys who were teeing off when you sat down have played a full round and are back again. You've just been lapped! Bang da chains!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxoEwv1fRc

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
old stomping grounds....Watsonville/pinto lake/Corralitos........you outta go to grass valley and play my old friends course in hills.........

best in toss.......

OldCoolSativa

I played Frisbee golf in college, loved it and was good at it. No nets...we just made up a course of tee boxes and targets that wound through campus and used to play at 2:00 am after the bars closed. I taught my kids to play Frisbee golf and we had a great time playing courses that we made - designing your own was half the fun.

I've tried throwing disc golf disks but hated them compared to my trusty Whamo 141g and 165g Frisbees. I'm willing to try again, but I'll probably play with Frisbees instead of discs. I've seen a disc golf store in Ayer, MA. I should stop in there some time this spring and find out who plays where.