What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rand Paul wants Obama to go after Colorado and Washington.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...k-down-on-states-where-voters-legalized-weed/

Rand Paul wants to take away legal pot.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has thrown his support behind legislation that Republicans could use to force President Barack Obama to crack down on legal marijuana in states like Colorado and Washington.

Speaking to Fox News on Thursday, the libertarian-leaning senator said he supported the Enforce the Law Act, which has been approved by the House. The legislation would allow Congress to sue the president for failing to faithfully execute laws.

Paul said that Obama appeared to be “writing his own laws whenever he feels like it.”

“He also does need to enforce the law. We write laws and he is just deciding willy-nilly if he likes it he enforces it, if he doesn’t, he won’t enforce it, and we really think he needs to be chastened, rebuked, and told that he needs to obey the constitution,” he added.

Republicans have championed the bill as a way to make President Barack Obama enforce immigration and health care laws, and prevent the executive branch from overstretching its regulatory authority.

But a committee report submitted by a co-sponsor of the bill suggested Republicans would also use the law to try to force Obama to crack down on marijuana in states that have legalized its possession and sale.

The report stated that Obama was not faithfully executing federal law by allowing states to legalize marijuana for recreational and medical use. The federal Controlled Substances Act lists marijuana as a Schedule I substance, the most prohibited classification, which is reserved for dangerous drugs with no medical value.

Not enforcing federal drug laws in states that have legalized marijuana “infringes on Congress’s lawmaking authority,” the report said.

An official statement for the bill said “failing to enforce federal drug laws in states that permit medical and recreational marijuana use and the announcement that the Justice Department will stop prosecuting low-level drug offenders under mandatory minimum sentencing laws” were both examples of Obama’s executive overreach.

Paul, who is typically considered an ally of drug reform advocates, did not discuss the legislation’s potential effects on states’ marijuana laws during his Fox News interview. He has previously said he supports states’ rights to legalize marijuana.

Obama has said he will veto the bill if it comes to his desk, but the legislation is unlikely to survive the Democratic-led Senate.

So much for states rights huh Rand?

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
obummer needs to nip this in the bud and at a minimum, reschedule cannabis. even better, remove it completely from the csa. stroke of the pen will shove it up rand's ass!:moon:
not sure he has power for the latter, but certainly to reschedule.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I think MJ is just being thrown in here to rile people up, the real motivation for the repubs is Obummercare and immigration and all of the other laws Obama chooses not to obey.

The MJ thing was voted in by the people which is a little different then the emperor just choosing not to obey laws whenever it strikes his fancy.

This is probably a democrat biased article, written on a slant to demonize Rand. When in reality Rand is one of the only guy that gives a shit about your personal freedoms.

I'd take this article with a grain of salt.

bigAl25

Veteran
Rand Paul and the Republicans need to leave Colorado and Washington the FUCK ALONE. They can stick this bill back up their ASS where it belongs. I have OBAMACARE to protect my life,family,home,and retirement assets from medical bankruptcy. People not in favor of affordable health care are selfish pricks, screw them. Peace and respect to people who give a shit about his fellow man. And yes, Immigration needs to be fixed ASAP.

greenpinky

Lol guess mr paul hates votes...if u really think about it obama should of done something once cali made mmj legal... but they know once it gets taken off schedule 1... it'll be up to the states to govern there programs... and only a few states are ready for that...its not too long befor ur driving on the highway and u see huge feilds on both sides

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I'm almost sure Colorado will not play nicely if the feds come to try to take MMJ and Recreational away. Colorado is starting to see tax money rolling in from pot and it is a very large amount. The politicos are just starting to argue how to spend it. It is going to be great watching the politicos play.

pinkus

Veteran
They can play that shit. It's DEFINITELY going to bite them on the ass. Dumb fucks holding onto a dated paradigm.

BTW, I'm covered under ACA, or Obamacare if you prefer. He's (Obama) not perfect, but I'm not a racist so i'm willing accept that. He's an F-in politician... anyone who thinks rand paul is any better is are fooling themselves.

dddaver

Veteran
When Obummer and the Dem. party stop laughing they will join the voters of Colorado and the majority of Americans saying, "Bring it on twerp."

Jhhnn

Veteran
This is probably a democrat biased article, written on a slant to demonize Rand. When in reality Rand is one of the only guy that gives a shit about your personal freedoms.

I'd take this article with a grain of salt.

Heh. Check the quotes, and your headset, too.

What did the man say *for the record*? Did he offer that Congress should act to decrim cannabis in any way, shape or form?

He did not. I recognize that he's been puffed up as some sort of Libertarian darling. He's not, provided one listens to what he says rather than what one wants him to say.

This bill is just pandering & posturing to fear among well propagandized "Conservatives", Rand's true constituency. Well, along with the usual Hate-Um Obama routine.

bentom187

Veteran
Federal tyranny is Federal Tyranny, i'm against it, but he has supported hemp bills and ending mandatory minimums sentencing WITH Eric Holder.
In theory he is wanting the president to follow the constitution including the 10th amendment, which he is right for doing, but the all the presidents have ignored it in one form or another so it is a long shot.
The other problem is congress ,they pass the most ridiculous laws, and it only helps generate revenue for the states and federal government it does nothing for us,there are laws against murder, people still do it. There are just a lot of prick's out there you cant legislate that away anymore than stupidity.
There are too many laws ,there is even a book out called " three felonies a day" ,it would put us all in danger.
I don't expect it to pass into law anyway. The sad thing is you really cant trust any of them to follow the law they swear to up hold.
I am disappoint.

I am sorry for all the ACA supporters it is actually not mandatory that you are covered at all. Just prepair appropriately in the case you are dropped if they amend it or you cant find any. This is not to start a argument, I just don't want people to suffer because of this.

42 U.S. Code § 18115 - Freedom not to participate in Federal health insurance programs
No individual, company, business, nonprofit entity, or health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage shall be required to participate in any Federal health insurance program created under this Act (or any amendments made by this Act), or in any Federal health insurance program expanded by this Act (or any such amendments), and there shall be no penalty or fine imposed upon any such issuer for choosing not to participate in such programs.

oldhaole

Veteran
Rand Paul doesn't give a rat's ass about personal freedoms. Rand Paul is a guy who preaches States' Rights. The right of a State to make it's own laws. If Obama was against MMJ, Rand would be for it. It's not like it matters though. The adults in the Senate will not even let this stupid piece of rubbish bill come up for a vote.

The Republicans continue their race towards political obscurity. They have pissed off women, public workers, minorities, the poor, the unemployed, and now MMJ users. Did I miss anyone? I can see where they will do well in the next presidential election.

greenpinky

The Republicans continue their race towards political obscurity. They have pissed off women, public workers, minorities, the poor, the unemployed, and now MMJ users. Did I miss anyone? I can see where they will do well in the next presidential election.

:yeahthats

Jhhnn

Veteran
Rand Paul doesn't give a rat's ass about personal freedoms. Rand Paul is a guy who preaches States' Rights. The right of a State to make it's own laws. If Obama was against MMJ, Rand would be for it. It's not like it matters though. The adults in the Senate will not even let this stupid piece of rubbish bill come up for a vote.

Agreed. Repubs just need to be beaten into a state of reasonableness. At the polls, of course.

StoneyK

Veteran
oldhaole;6248202]Rand Paul doesn't give a rat's ass about personal freedoms. Rand Paul is a guy who preaches States' Rights. The right of a State to make it's own laws. If Obama was against MMJ, Rand would be for it. It's not like it matters though. The adults in the Senate will not even let this stupid piece of rubbish bill come up for a vote.

You seem to be under the impression your vote counts....lol
We dont have elections anymore we have auctions.
The only vote you have now that makes any difference is where you spend your money.
None of these politicians care about any of us. Is it any surprise congressmen leave as millionaires even if they didnt arrive as such?

[QUOTE People not in favor of affordable health care are selfish pricks, screw them. Peace and respect to people who give a shit about his fellow man. And yes, Immigration needs to be fixed ASAP.[/QUOTE]

If thats what it was it would be awesome.
Obamacare made our healthcare more expensive not less...
Let me explain.
For example lets say BEFORE obama care as a 60 year old my health inaurance was 800 a month.
Now after obama care you cant get the same plan its been phased out your forced to switch to obamacare. THIS HAPPENED TO MY PARENTS.
Now the obamacare costs you 500 a month but heres the kicker...
Its not.
The insurance companies actually charge 1100 now for that plan however the govt subsidizes the payment making it cheaper for you but not really, someone has to pay.
Sooooo the medical companies make more money give less service and are government subsidized....
There are so many thing wrong there its hard to find a starting point.
Im all for affordable healthcare but lets do it for real.
All obama care does is make the health industry even more profitable but now we are compelled by law to pay them...

oldhaole

Veteran
Agreed. Repubs just need to be beaten into a state of reasonableness. At the polls, of course.

Please don't take this the wrong way but Republican and reasonable are two words that just do not mix. Try as I may I just can't come up with a sentence with those two words....at least one that makes sense.

By the way....I love my Obama care....now if I get sick there is another choice instead of the Republican option of either bankrupting my family or dying quickly.

And yes I vote. Guess I'm just old fashioned like that.

Remember, if you think your vote doesn't count. If 1000 more people felt like me, Florida would have gone for Gore, GWB would have just been a failed wanabe, and the world would be a different place.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
not surprised at all; afterall, this is coming from a guy who thinks the U.S should go back to the gold standard, like his dad; both effectively proving their incompetence in understanding actual economic realities.

fuck 'em both.