What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can ANYONE name the poison Eagle 20 with the active ingredient Myclobutanil??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Some people are under the impression the fungicide Eagle 20 or more specifically, the active ingredient Myclobutanil is poisonous. The issue IS NOT if there are other Powdery Mildew alternatives to Eagle or Myclobutanil (to think otherwise ignores the fact there is so many paths to the same destination)....but to clear up some misinformation, lets identify and discuss the poison.

From ALL the sources I am aware of, Myclobutanil is a known reproductive toxicant that effects males only (not females)--BUT IS NOT A POISON!

From: http://toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Myclobutanil

Myclobutanil is a conazole class fungicide. It is used heavily to control fungi affecting wine and table grapes, especially in California. It also has a number of other food crop and commercial or residential landscaping applications. Although it has a low acute toxicity, myclobutanil has been found to affect the reproductive abilities of test animals.

Myclobutanil is registered for use on a wide range of food and feed crops. It may also be used in greenhouses, public rights of way, turf, and in landscaping applications. Cotton seeds may be treated with myclobutanil (EPA).

California accounts for roughly 50% of all myclobutanil use in the US, using 70,000 to 90,000 lbs. annually. Grapes are the most heavily treated crop, using 60% of all myclobutanil in California. Almonds and strawberries are also account for a notable percentage of myclobutanil use in California (EPA).

Myclobutanil has a relatively low acute toxicity. The acute oral LD50 for mice is 1360 mg/kg, and ranges from 1.75 to 1.8 g/kg for rats. Myclobutanil metabolizes into 1,2,4-triazole, which has a lower acute toxicity than the parent compound (EPA).

Workers exposed to myclobutanil have reported symptoms such as skin rash, allergic dermatitis, itchiness, nausea, heachache, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, nosebleed, and eye irritation (CDPR).

In a two-generation study on rats over the effects of myclobutanil on reproduction, researchers found a decrease in pup weight gain, increased incidence of stillborns, and atrophy of the testes and prostate (EPA). Myclobutanil is listed as a developmental toxin in the Toxics Release Inventory (PANNA).

Chronic toxicity tests on rats found decreased body weight and changes to brain and spleen weight, in addition to reproductive effects (EPA).

Myclobutanil inhibits the sterol 14-demethylase enzyme, which produces ergosterol, an organic compound vital to fungal cell wall formation (EPA).

Myclobutanil is nontoxic to bees, which have an LD50 exceeding 362 ug/bee. It is moderately toxic to birds. The acute oral LD50 for bobwhite quail is 498 mg/kg. The primary metabolite, 1,2,4-triazole, is expected to be less toxic than myclobutanil (EPA).

Myclobutanil is environmentally mobile. It has been found in surface water and in rain, suggesting a potential for atmospheric transport. Due to its persistence, myclobutanil may accumulate in soil with multiple applications (EPA).

From: http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC120

PAN Bad Actor--SKULL & CROSS BONES..ooohh Prop 65
Acute Toxicity--Slight
Carcinogen--Not Likely
Cholinesterase Inhibitor--No
Ground Water Contaminant--Not likely
Developmental or Reproductive Toxin--YES
Endocrine Disruptor--Suspected

So...Myclobutanil is a PAN Bad Actor cuz it is known Reproductive Toxin for Males--at high doses (don't smear it on your chest). How many items under your kitchen sink contain this same Prop 65 warning?

Material Data Sheets (MSDS) are intended to provide workers and emergency personnel with procedures for handling or working with that substance in a safe manner, and includes information such as physical data (melting point, boiling point, flash point, etc.), toxicity, health effects, first aid, reactivity, storage, disposal, protective equipment, and spill-handling procedures. THEY ARE NOT SCIENTIFIC REPORTS OR INSTRUCTIONS and should be used according to their purpose; we all know, water in excess doses is toxic--but when used correctly, water is life--not death.

So...what is the name of the poison in Eagle 20 and at what levels is it toxic?

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Is there any info on if the toxic elements disappear after the 30 days of systemtic protection or does it continue long beyond that?

vapedg13

Veteran
Eagle20 has to be re-applied on a 21-30 day interval to outdoor crops.... that tell you its out of the plant within 30 days or the need to reapply the chemical wouldnt be there.

In other words dont be a dumbass and spray the eagle 20 on your plants when your 3-4 weeks into flower

Spray your vegging plants only..... this gives you a 2 - 3 month buffer to rid the plant of any trace elements

MIway

Veteran
Eclipse... I know I do it, but poison gets interchanged w toxic quite a bit, so its just loose word usage. I mean, even u'r txt sounds a little bit scary for effects to people working around it... My head is pounding, skin is itchy, and blood is coming outta my nose... But at least it's not killing bees, maybe... And they put it into wine... Though rats have stillbirths and other issues... And we'r not really sure about its persistance over time and extended effects like w it gets into the air or water supply... It's not a poison, come on folks!!! Is it safe though? Think u'v answered that as well.

But I can say that at the end of 21days... If the underlying problems go unaddressed... It can come back in full force. Saw a warehouse that was always like this... They never broke the cycle, and after applying 2wks into flowering... It came back right at bud swelling, just before the flush... Perfect! Lol. So u have to reapply, or have mold on the nugs. That's a major limitation of most commercial fungicides.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
you should have linked the whole of the article

Precautionary Notes

Myclobutanil can become airborne as a dust. In high concentrations, it can become an explosive mixture in the air. Burning myclobutanil may release toxic fumes (MSDS).

its not the only thing in eagle20 is it?

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/mp6DG001.pdf

that's the MDSD YOU linked in this post http://www.cdms.net/ldat/mp6DG001.pdf

one of the other ingredients is naphthalene which is a known cancer causing agent, in a concentration that is recognized to be hazardous

now remember you guys don't test your weeds for any of the toxins that are in eagle20 because i called the test facilities the dispensaries use

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5011089&postcount=86

so regardless of how you slice it your using a product made for outdoor turf ornamentals and vine fruits and your using it on soft tissue plants in closed environment

you did bother to read this in the toxicology report right?

Myclobutanil is environmentally mobile. It has been found in surface water and in rain, suggesting a potential for atmospheric transport. Due to its persistence, myclobutanil may accumulate in soil with multiple applications (EPA).

you can only guess that it dissipated in a dissimilar environment against the products directed use

you have no way to tell if YOUR meds are free from any of the chemicals in eagle20, scientific or others wise

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Sow ahts the verdict on this stuff? What amount would you use in a 750ml spray bottle? Like 2 drops?

I believe the bottle says 0.75ml per gallon. and 750 ml is approximately 20% of a gallon. That means 0.15 ml. So if we figure that Eagle 20 is a thick liquid it would be 15 drops per ml and work out to 2.25 drops per 750ml.

I went to my local organic food coop and picked up a dropper bottle to use mine. It is a lot easier then trying to get it out of the large pint bottle.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Fuck eagle 20, people really want to argue the fact that using this crap is safe for what we consume as medicine. Really? Hey if you want to use it, go right ahead, but keep all that sprayed crap to yourself and don't share with others.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering when WEIRD would show up with his/her diatribe....EAGLE 20 FOREVER!

I seen it being used for 35 years in my father's vinyard's and no one had been hurt yet?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I was wondering when WEIRD would show up with his/her diatribe....EAGLE 20 FOREVER!

your months late btw

I seen it being used for 35 years in my father's vinyard's and no one had been hurt yet?

your dad's vineyards are inside in a controlled environment and the grapes are no longer deciduous vine fruit but leafy green annuals?

see if you were capable of being relative and reverent you observations woudl be trustworthy but since you continue to compare apples to oranges or grapes to cannabis lets state the truth

you cant test your weeds for the eagle20 you put on then nor do you have have the confidence in your skills to grow without confidently a toxic preventative

that is on you it is all on you

but your right about one thing

majority of the eagle20 used in this country is in cali's vineyards

oddly enough the indigenous natural flora has survived eons exposed to the raging deadly cali pm regardless

interesting how that happens

supermanlives

Veteran
i dont use it . and we have no idea what smoking it will do. its prob great for grapes but i aint smokin grapes.

T

TribalSeeds

Eagle20 has to be re-applied on a 21-30 day interval to outdoor crops.... that tell you its out of the plant within 30 days or the need to reapply the chemical wouldnt be there.

In other words dont be a dumbass and spray the eagle 20 on your plants when your 3-4 weeks into flower

Spray your vegging plants only..... this gives you a 2 - 3 month buffer to rid the plant of any trace elements

Most of my bottles tell me to reapply and apply way too much of everything else I have.
Just because the company wants you to use the poison more often, to make it more effective, doesnt mean its not in the plant.

Mia

Meanwhile....
Weird hops in his petrochemical vehicle and sprays the world with carcinogens......
Weird types on his computer that is full of carcinogenic components which were dirtily mined from the Earth, all supported by Weird's pocketbook.
Weird uses electricity that in all likelihood comes from coal burning power plants, spewing tons of uranium into the air for you, I, and his children to breathe. He willingly pays for this you see.
And the rock keeps spinning.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Well gee...

You can use Azamax/Azatrol type products on your cannabis and 75 days later... IT STILL BIO ACCUMULATES IN MY SYSTEM. (It's supposed to be gone in 30 days as well. It isn't)

Now, I don't know if that's true for Eagle 20... but I'm certainly not going to use it. None of these 'studies' are really as complete as they should be... and they're nearly always done to show how 'safe' stuff is. Sure works to show how 'bad' cannabis is. Most people believe it's 'bad', even though the studies are bogus.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
BTW...there is a different fungicide with myclobutanil and does not contain Naphthalene, called Rally 40. http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/073.htm

Label--http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld9M8000.pdf

MSDS detailing the inert ingredients (60%)...http://www.cdms.net/ldat/mp9M8019.pdf

Let's see if our resident Naphthalene Expert has any issues with this one....

BY THE WAY

Dow agriculture makes fungicides for agriculture opposed to turf and ornamental products

http://www.dowagro.com/products/northamerica/index.htm

if you choose agriculture it leads you to products designed for consumable vegetables

http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/

opposed to products designed for turf and ornamental

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products/fungicides/index.htm

now boys and girls if you look at DOW CHEMICALS offerings

none of the ones listed in agricultural use myclobutanil or naphthalene

why is that?

why do they make products with myclobutanil for turf and ornamental but not for agriculture?

and oddly none are made for indoor use

how ironic

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
So Weird, what are you saying, Rally 40 (made by Dow) does not exist?

"Labeled for use in grapes, stone fruit, tomatoes, cucurbits, strawberries and other crops"...any of those vegetables?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
BY THE WAY

Dow agriculture makes fungicides for agriculture opposed to turf and ornamental products

http://www.dowagro.com/products/northamerica/index.htm

if you choose agriculture it leads you to products designed for consumable vegetables

http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/

opposed to products designed for turf and ornamental

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products/fungicides/index.htm

now boys and girls if you look at DOW CHEMICALS offerings

none of the ones listed in agricultural use myclobutanil or naphthalene

why is that?

why do they make products with myclobutanil for turf and ornamental but not for agriculture?

and oddly none are made for indoor use

how ironic

This is so misleading it is hilarious. I thought I would post some of the label so people can make their own judgement. Sure the label does not say it can be used for vegetables but it does say you can use it on some fruits. Take a look at what it says for use with apricots.

picture.php

Right up to the day of harvest, who knew. I did I read the label.

Here is the front label as well.

picture.php

If I am not mistaken that has agricultural uses listed right there on the front of the label.

Oh and naphthalene is a naturally occurring substance. Bubbles right out of the ground in some places. Point is it is how you use it not in what it is. There are a lot of organic things that will kill you if used incorrectly, I see it in the news from time to time how some organic substance sickened or killed a few people. Usually from E Coli because some one didn't wash their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.