What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different Light Cycle for Flowering Sativa?

I read in a book on MJ growing that Sativas put out much heavier yields if the light cycle in flower is not 12/12...
Anyone out there have any insight into this?

After many years of first-hand experience breeding herb indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Here's a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less, and good luck!

Snype

Veteran
I don't think you get more yield by shortening the light cycle but it can change phenotypic expression. I think you're reading an old statement from DJ Short. The old Sativa guy I know flowers with 12.5 hours dark to 11.5 hours of light. Shortening the light cycle with help your buds finish faster but you will get less yield as well. As far as how phenotype can change:

Phenotype = Genotype + Environment

Notice the Environment is the variable in the equation that affects the outcome of Phenotype.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the plant produce ehtylene during the dark phase of the photoperiod... ethylene is responsible for female flower formation and marurity.

the longer dark period causes the plant to build up its ethylene levels faster which can result in faster maturation and different phenotypic expressions... whether or not one of those expressions is a larger yeild would probably vary genotype to genotype, that is - vary on an individual basis, plant to plant, differing in the efficacy a shorter photoperiod has on the yeild.

@ Snype
Yes, the article was from here...http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/220103-inducing-sativas-photoperiod-light-angles.html

Also, I recently got a copy of the new Cannabis Encyclopedia.. it talked briefly about this light cycle differing for Sativas... Link to that new encylopedia... http://www.amazon.com/The-Cannabis-Encyclopedia-cultivation-consumption/dp/1878823345 pg. 90-91
I would have to look up the page for reference.. just thought I would mention it in this awesome forum.. see what Experienced Growers would say.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
@ Snype
Yes, the article was from here...http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/220103-inducing-sativas-photoperiod-light-angles.html

Also, I recently got a copy of the new Cannabis Encyclopedia.. it talked briefly about this light cycle differing for Sativas... Link to that new encylopedia... http://www.amazon.com/The-Cannabis-Encyclopedia-cultivation-consumption/dp/1878823345 I would have to look up the page for reference.. just thought I would mention it in this awesome forum.. see what Experienced Growers would say.
I'm not speaking for this specifically but be careful what you read in books. It's not all true. Found many mistakes in these so called Bibles.

@Snype
Yeah...been through all that reading and trusting crap..
That is why I prefer to hear from ppl who have been growing for years...
I love that kind of knowledge...!! :0)

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Snype

yeah, most cannabis authors are not experts... there are only a few true cannabis experts, and I dont even think they refer themselves in those terms... and I dont think any of them have writtin how to, cultivation books.

---------------------------------------

@alaskalive

Rob Clarke has a couple books, marijuana botany and the other one Cannabis evolution and ethnobotany.... there is another book writin by some experts called hemp diseases and pests.

other than that, I dont know of many books that arent just full of errors, folk lore and speculation.

I found the cannabis breeders bible to be helpful but after learning more stuff I realized how wrong some of it is.

that has always been my issue with this stuff, there is no standard for information so finding the truth becomes a needle in a haystack... then after one finds the correct info they are left dealing with the fact that in a rooom full of jesters a wise man is the fool

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also, I recently got a copy of the new Cannabis Encyclopedia.. it talked briefly about this light cycle differing for Sativas... Link to that new encylopedia... http://www.amazon.com/The-Cannabis-Encyclopedia-cultivation-consumption/dp/1878823345 pg. 90-91
I would have to look up the page for reference.. just thought I would mention it in this awesome forum.. see what Experienced Growers would say.

Burn IT!

jorge has confused more people than he has helped... but hey, I am sure he lives comfortably off all those book sales.

Kinda like when you are 17 years old, got the world by the ca-honies.. and think you know everything.. then when you are 50 you realize you really know nothing much for SURE.
lol

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Bump! Experienced growers: what is the benefit of shorter lights on, and how does it effect indicas as well? If I have a room half indica half pure sativa, what would the gain/loss look like on both ends?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read in a book on MJ growing that Sativas put out much heavier yields if the light cycle in flower is not 12/12...
Anyone out there have any insight into this?

Keep in mind sats are equatorial, where seasonal light does not change (spring- fall) like it does for indicas. IMO, this bio-clock is within the cannabis dna

I find when growing sats that they will take forever at 12/12. I usually keep it there for ~ 4 weeks, then back off by 15 minutes (Which I just did), which doesn't seem like much to us, but to the plant, it's a strong life ending signal. The last ~ 3 weeks I drop it another 15 minutes

Keep in mind sats are equatorial, where seasonal light does not change (spring- fall) like it does for indicas. IMO, this bio-clock is within the cannabis dna

I find when growing sats that they will take forever at 12/12. I usually keep it there for ~ 4 weeks, then back off by 15 minutes (Which I just did), which doesn't seem like much to us, but to the plant, it's a strong life ending signal. The last ~ 3 weeks I drop it another 15 minutes

After growing full on sats in the tropics on and off this is what I would do If i grew in doors. Ive known some totaly sativa phenos to try and start reveg in 12/12 conditions so decreasing light during flowering is the way to go.

oldbean

High
I've spent a few days reading threads and have come to the conclusion that 11 on 13 off is best for Sativa's and 13 on and 11 off is best for indica's.....

With this in mind, I've set my timer to 10 on 14 off....

I shall probably be back in 8 weeks crying about doing this.

Peace

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

Oh crap, wish I had read this before ordering the 100% sativa seeds. Now I need another light tight room.
I knew this and it has been percolating in the back of my mind, but it never made it to the front and got thought about.
Of course my youngest still has all her stuff in her old bedroom and her being the baby of the family I can't just throw the stuff into storage and make a sativa room.

This does explain the extended light experiment undoing the sativa's growth while the indica's buds are going nuts.
13.5/10.5 with far red has the indicas on the fast track but the two sativas both had to be removed from the room due to drastically reversed performance.

When sitting on the tipping point it takes very little to nudge the plant over, for good or ill.

Latest posts

Latest posts