What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cloning in a hot/humid climate...

does the temperature of the medium need to be warmer than the air temperature for a clone to root? If so anyone has a suggestion of how do I achieve such balance when I'm in a warm humid climate and don't have a/c to achieve such conditions. Using a dome is making the air temperature warmer than that of the medium. I started loosing a bunch of cuttings to some kind of brown rot that starts on the center of new growth/shoots. If the relative humidity is 70% outside do I need a dome? Is water as a medium a better alternative?Remember this is not the northern latitudes, many of the suggestions I've gotten so far seem to be based on the assumption that it is 50-60 F and dry.Anyone with experience cloning on a similar climate?

The rot means you have to much moisture. When I lived in a humid climate I only sprayed the first 3 days and after that I left the dome cracked with just water in the bottom of the tray. It was so easy cloning when you actually have humidity.

I averaged 70% humidity in all of my rooms. When I would water, and foliar it would get up in the 90's

Now I deal with 20% humidity. Took me a year to be able to clone to almost 100% success rate again.

vostok

Veteran
70%Rh you don't need a dome, keep it well clean use 10% bleach and hot water to kill all available mold spores, and rinse well, I do use a 25w fish tank heater rod when temps are low, note this is just cambium enginerring, teasing out root nubs from under the bark ...is no magic involved, if you still can't get it, make a diy bubble cloner for 90% return in under 10 days

what about the temperature…I'm pretty sure that the temperature of the medium (peat/perlite) was much cooler than the surrounding air. How do I go about managing that? If that is not what stalling the rooting, then it has something to do with the varieties, because its been three weeks since the first round was cut and i don't think there has been root establishment on those either

vostok

Veteran
what about the temperature…I'm pretty sure that the temperature of the medium (peat/perlite) was much cooler than the surrounding air. How do I go about managing that? If that is not what stalling the rooting, then it has something to do with the varieties, because its been three weeks since the first round was cut and i don't think there has been root establishment on those either
Please explain to the membership on how You think a clone grows, ...cause somethings very amiss here..?