What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple Scrubber

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Howdy Folks,

This is a reward to myself, to get to post a build thread, my bloom is in full swing is the reason. One of my tasks this week was to rebuild my scrubber, so I took pics for the good folks here. My hope is that someone who needs a scrubber will understand this simple method and design their own to fit their needs and stuff they have, or from the dollar store.

I use a 750 cfm shop fan, noisy beast, and this unit will clean the air in two rooms for 10-11 months, this is my third year testing it.

Here are the components, and my base, 2 - 10 inch square net baskets, notice the baskets are lined up so air can flow through. It is a simple thing, but an easy mistake to make, to not check this point before proceeding.

I use 2-10 inch netpots, 1- 6 inch, 1- 5 1/4 inch, a couple packages of vent filters [anything will do], 3 liters of activated carbon, duct tape and a knife, the scizzors didn't work out.

Hap

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
The first step is to line the basket with filters, there is no right or wrong way, just cover the area, extra layers are fine. I hot glued and taped these in the first year, they do not need to be attached if you fit and fill with care.

After lining, build the floor - fill with carbon. I fill to 1.5 inches - because my fan will easily pull through that. That is what is important. On a small fan, just fill a half inch, or three quarters, flow through is the ticket.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Next, I build the air well, or center chamber. This is just a net pot / filter sandwich, again, no connectors needed, no tools so far either - notice?
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Now we have the 2 components, fit the airwell into the scrubber floor.
H
edit - I also added a second layer of the filter liners at this stage before inserting the airwell.

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Gently fill the square, shaking gently to even up the fill. It is important to fill to above the air holes in the airwell to allow for settling over time without loss of function.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Fill to the desired level - this took just under 3 liters this time, at $5 per at wallyland. Cut - yes, this is the first and only time you need a tool [see why I like it?] - the filters to fit the center hole. I do 4 pieces, you could double this, or a heavier filter would be good too. You could also fold n rip instead of cut - if ya be that stoned, eh? Then tuck and get ready for the top.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Sinse I support this the same way it was designed - under the basket lip - I just tape the top with duct tape. If you need to support this, add a rigid top of wood, plastic, or metal, whatever you have. Also, if you need to tilt on the side, this will not work without some modification, keep it in mind. This works in the position it is built in, good principle in diy. This is the unit ready to have the fan connected.
H

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran

I love it! looks very unique and looks very effective! Reminds me of the clothing hamper filter back @ overgrow.

Last edited:

rastamonunika

interesting idea, reminds me of Apollo 11 (i think! =P), where they had to convert their spacecraft air scrubbers so they could be used in moon lander. .

cool stuff! good post!

lots of Love and Light
unika

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Thanks folks, hope it will help somebody figure out their own solution. Here is a pic of the unit installed and running, and a picture of the room it scrubs.
H

sugabear_II

Veteran
Haps - you are the man - I love these less complicated DIY's

I recently found myself with a pile of stinky fresh buds to dry. Normally I dry in my cabinet which has a pro CF carbon filter, but my cabinet is still full of other flowering girls.

So I had to make a carbon scrubber for my other veg cabinet to use it as a drying chamber. Well I found this DIY and whent off to walmart. I picked up a 6"x5"x4" deep sterilite plastic thingy made for storing DVDs and CD's which was clear and full of holes for $1.79 and then a smaller plastic sterilite thingy that fit inside also full of holes that was like $0.97 it was square. Then off to the fish department to get two tubs of activated carbon for $5.49 each and finally to hardware to pick up some of those hot air register filters for $2.79 for a dozen. Well I went home and put it all together in a very similar fashion to how you did this and taped in a 4" dryer hose connected to my exhaust fan.

And it works perfectly. There is no smell in the room, but when I open the doors I get hit with a wave of stinky buds.

Thanks for the DIY it helped me out alot!

p.s. - hey haps are you the same haps_overland I remember? you still growing that purple bluethunder? - I've been wanting to grow that ever since I saw your pics and I finally got some seeds and have a seedling starting flower right now so I am super excited.

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Here's a picture of the scrubber I made - it's a smaller version of the one you describe haps.

Thanks again for a great DIY - this was so simple - no cutting - no nothing - just layer in the filter, dump in carbon and tape it up!

I have it hanging upside down - the inside piece has no holes in the bottom - only the sides so there's no leaking.

-suga

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Can't get enough of that sugacrisp - How ya doing Sugarbear, long time no type, you were over at the RM site when I did the thread there, I 'member. I am delighted that this scrubber thread helped you - thanks for showing me, very cool stuff! My unit will last for a year, but smaller units can be just as effective, as long as the air flows through.

I lost the velvet and some other stuff last year when I had a heart attack. That purple pheno of the BT is a survivor though, she makes a couple beans in the crown of each plant, I never see the naners. I got two of those beans growing in bloom right now, one has started turning purple, and the other seems to be content to be extra delicate and xtra frosty. Got a clone of the velvet one, and it is going into the seed project for this year, as a base to play with. Hope you get the purple pheno in yours good luck.

POMH, glad you like it girl, if you like simple, take a look at the new polystyrene tubbler lids I'm testing in my gallery, the prototypes were made completely with a steak knife. If you have heat issues in you cabinet, the insulation is a rootsaver.

Happy Buds,
H

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hey Haps - it is you! too cool!

Nice job on the polysterine tubler lids - I have been using foil sided foam insulation for DWC lids for a while now and I find it really keeps the light from heating the res.

That's good that the BT is a survivor and you too! Sorry to hear about your heart, but I'm glad you're back at it.

So I was wondering do you have tips on the blue thunder - is she a heavy feeder?

Here's my seedling - not much to look at - the root system is pretty well developed but the leaves have never been looking too healthy

I'm running around 600ppm of GH floranova plus a few drops floraliscous epsom salts fulvic acid and hyrgrozyme

any input is appreciated.

Oh and here's a picture of those buds that my DIY scrubber was keeping from stinking out the place - now dry - this is my own cross of an indica from oregon and reef's burmese pure - I'm really happy with it now and showing pics to everyone :D this is the indie pheno which went 60 days and smells like dried pinapple.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Hey SB, the BT is a very low feeder, I run it at the lucas ratio, but I lean out the addback a few times when it seems to have enough. The Purple pheno is very Kodiak Gold like, hard nuggets, and not much stretch. You don't need the epsom until after the stretch in bloom is over. I have a couple clones now, and I doubt they will go into bloom until Jan, this is not a pheno to hurry if you want any size to the girl. Have a good turkey day folks.
H
Oh, this is important, half way through bloom, the purple almost stops feeding, minimal from there on, but, it does suck out all the nutes from the hand leafs, so they go full yellow, it can worry you just to look at it. It is just that plants way, no worries, plants outdoors do that a lot, or they used to a couple decades ago.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Bumpety bump bump. The scrubber has been through two bloom cycles now, and works the same as it did the first week. Time to harvest that second crop.
H