What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

16x, 30x, 60x, or 100x scope...which one?

Does it really matter what power scope is used? I've heard everything from 16x jewelers loop to 100x heavy duty expensive scopes.

Thanks all

:wave:

ive got a 60x-100x and ive also got a simple cheap 21x. the 21x is way more usefull as it is enough magnification to see glands but not so much that you are only seeing a handfull of glands. you can see a better grouping of them.

60x is a little strong i think. go for a 30x or so.

Yor420

The Radio Shack unit is excellent. I have used one now for about 3 years with no problems and the price is excellent.

HeyNow

I dont even need the 100x on the 60-100x scope. I use 60x and that way I can see more of them at one time to gauge the colors

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
i use a 30x jewelers loupe, works great, any higher magnification and it makes things hard to see if you jostle at all.

G

i just picked up a radioshack 60x-100x and it works great with the light and all for only $10,

not 5 minutes after i got it working i was taking quality trich shots :D

Well, I thought I would update my experiment. I have to say the 15x is not enough magnification, or I'm a newb and don't know what I'm doing. Maybe both. I just can't see anything much with the 15x. I'm going to try the RS 60-100 to see what rkrone is seeing.

:)

Anghellic

Radioshack microscope

hpim1135fu4.jpg

hpim1137ep7.jpg

spyvsspy

G'day all,
Hey Anghellic, how did you take those pictures? I have the radio shack 60-100x and I'm guessing that's what you're using to take those pictures. Did you just put the camera lens up to the eyepiece or what?

clowntown

Veteran
Yup, camera with macro focus will do that.

I have a jeweler's loupe as well as a Radio Shack 60-100x illuminated microscope. The "30x" loupe is good for checking under leaves, etc, but not powerful enough for trichome maturity inspection.

The loupe I bought ($6, eBay) was labeled as "30x" magnification. Comparing to 60x magnification, I don't think it's 30x magnification but instead a 30mm lens. I think it was a misinterpretation of the markings by the seller...

Last edited:

coolx

clowntown said:
The "30x" loupe is good for checking under leaves, etc, but not powerful enough for trichome maturity inspection.

jeez ... are you guys blind?! hehe ... maybe just stoned .. I use a 8 x loupe for the trichs ... sure a 30 would be better, but 8's enough.

clowntown

Veteran
What exactly are you checking for?

To me it's pretty hard to tell whether it's clear or cloudy, with a "30x" loupe (8x is more like it). With a 60-100x, I can tell exactly what's going on there on the surface.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
coolx said:
jeez ... are you guys blind?! hehe ... maybe just stoned .. I use a 8 x loupe for the trichs ... sure a 30 would be better, but 8's enough.

hehehehe. ok. you got me.
im old, yes.

BUT i agree with clowntown.
ive got a 30x folding jewlers magnifyer, and, while its juuuust enough to get the job done with good lighting, a 60x, imo, would be MUCH better. less squinting and maneuvering buds into the right lighting.....

30x will work
but, imo 60x would be ideal

:wave:

Y

yamaha_1fan

I heard the radio shack 60-100x may be TOO pwerful. But I disagree. I use it and it works fine. I even zoom in some and can get a real good look at whats going on.