What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Proper" vs "Improper curing have different weights?

pumpkin2006

So my friend and I are having a debate about if I had hung the plants instead of putting them on their sides, that the final weight will be more. I understand that "proper" curing techniques increase flavor, potency and how it smokes, but I've never heard of it increasing the weight. The reason that they wont way more, supposedly, is that the buds will take stuff from the stems... sorry but it doesn't sound right to me.

Please, please, please, clarify this for me.

Was it wrong of me to lay my plants on their sides in an open room?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Nope, water weighs the same on its side as upside down, and that's all drying is doing, removing water.

Curing takes place after the dry, usually in jars.

Your friend is wrong.

pumpkin2006

NiteTiger said:
Nope, water weighs the same on its side as upside down, and that's all drying is doing, removing water.

Curing takes place after the dry, usually in jars.

Your friend is wrong.

Thank you! So there is no truth in some weight coming from the stems into the buds?

NiteTiger

Veteran
No. That would require the plant to keep growing. Any tiny migration in fluid won't cause extra growth. Especially in the dark.

Not to mention, even if it moves, it still gets dried out of the plant.

G

The myth that hanging plants upside down still will make the buds swell still exists!
What about wrapping the root ball in a wet cloth while it's hanging? LOL.

DJ Short ( who?hahaha) and some growers like to leave the fan leaves on and let them gently cover the buds while hanging.

I do laundry drying screens for a week with a fan, in the paper bags for 2 days and then curing in jars for 2 weeks burping the jars every day. Then wait another 2 or three weeks before smoking. Good luck!

pumpkin2006

Thank you guys, I mean I was 99% sure I was right, but you never know. The fucked up thing is, this guy has probably grown about 20 crops indoor/outdoor of good weed, its just that he isn't willing to learn anything new or grow as a grower.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Well, it's one of those things that's really not worth arguing. He's got crops, he's got buds, and he's comfortable with what he's got. If he wants to believe a few more grams come from curing that way, let him believe.

After all, it's worked for him so far :D

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
NiteTiger said:
Well, it's one of those things that's really not worth arguing. He's got crops, he's got buds, and he's comfortable with what he's got. If he wants to believe a few more grams come from curing that way, let him believe.

After all, it's worked for him so far :D

How diplomatic :D

JAH fire blaze :rasta:

eugene

clorox

Smokin on that serious...
what do you mean grow as a grower? haha, if hes done 20+ grows with good results, hes a grower, heack if hes done 2 with good results hes a grower...

Canna-KaliSpice

Yeah, but I would hang those buds to dry instead of laying them because of the shape it forms the bud into.

I have had some nice, fluffy sativa spears that turned into flattened out chunks after laying them out to dry. It's just what you prefer to look at and smoke.

I like my personal stash to be completely different from commercial looking cannabis. I've bought some many bags of wet/dank buds that were pancake flat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts