What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

nl#5 - #2 - #9

3snowboards

Decided to just flip her without taking cuts
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

frostqueen

if only i had all those genetics, but a catchy title for the knowledgeable
i do have a nl#5 seed, old seeds from a breeder called hgs
my 1st grow here 9 years ago(or so), so that's the 9
the 2 is it's the 2nd nl#5 for me, the 1st was a female beast and still in my album
any how, 9 year old seeds are getting up there, will it sprout?
place your bets, it's going into the water

I wrote this out before realizing I'm a year late to this party. Oh well.

I use a technique where you first soak the seeds for 12 hours in 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed 1:10 with filtered water. (So: 10 ml 3% H202 mixed with 100ml water.) After a 12 hour soak the seeds are then rinsed off and you proceed normally, with temps stable at around 80 degrees F.

Note that data indicates that using more or less peroxide will NOT work better. There is a sweet spot. I picked this info up from a commercial farm that did studies on the optimum level of H2O2 to use, and 1:8 to 1:12 provided the best results by far. I'm pretty sure one of the canna book gurus also uses this technique, too. Can't remember which one. Cervantes maybe? I think he went with 1:12.

The peroxide does more than just sterilize the seed environment. It actually acts as a messenger molecule that somehow triggers the seed to sprout. You can also add a touch of humic acid, but don't overdo it. The humic has a similar messaging role for the seed and improves viability.

How well does this work? I ran a test on 20 seeds that were 16 years old. These had been stored in the fridge in a light-tight cryogenic tube. I did the 12 hour soak and rinsed, then used the paper towel in a ziplock technique at 80 degrees. (steady temp is crucial IMO.)

4 days later I had 17 of the 20 sprouted and in soil. I was pretty damned surprised. I would have thought that to be impossible, but nonetheless.

I have some seeds that are even older that I'm going to try next; Northern Lights x AK47 cherry pheno from the late '90s. Can't wait to work with late '90s genes again!

A great trick for maintaining 80 degree temps is to find a 3 to 5 gallon rubbermaid tub and fill it with water. Then place an aquarium heater in there and fine tune it to get the temps stable with the lid on. Put the seeds on top of the lid. Works great for the planted seeds and seedlings, too, to get them amped up and strong. Use around 5k lux of cool white lighting to limit stretch and you're all set.

:tiphat:

3snowboards

I wrote this out before realizing I'm a year late to this party. Oh well.

I use a technique where you first soak the seeds for 12 hours in 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed 1:10 with filtered water. (So: 10 ml 3% H202 mixed with 100ml water.) After a 12 hour soak the seeds are then rinsed off and you proceed normally, with temps stable at around 80 degrees F.

Note that data indicates that using more or less peroxide will NOT work better. There is a sweet spot. I picked this info up from a commercial farm that did studies on the optimum level of H2O2 to use, and 1:8 to 1:12 provided the best results by far. I'm pretty sure one of the canna book gurus also uses this technique, too. Can't remember which one. Cervantes maybe? I think he went with 1:12.

The peroxide does more than just sterilize the seed environment. It actually acts as a messenger molecule that somehow triggers the seed to sprout. You can also add a touch of humic acid, but don't overdo it. The humic has a similar messaging role for the seed and improves viability.

How well does this work? I ran a test on 20 seeds that were 16 years old. These had been stored in the fridge in a light-tight cryogenic tube. I did the 12 hour soak and rinsed, then used the paper towel in a ziplock technique at 80 degrees. (steady temp is crucial IMO.)

4 days later I had 17 of the 20 sprouted and in soil. I was pretty damned surprised. I would have thought that to be impossible, but nonetheless.

I have some seeds that are even older that I'm going to try next; Northern Lights x AK47 cherry pheno from the late '90s. Can't wait to work with late '90s genes again!

A great trick for maintaining 80 degree temps is to find a 3 to 5 gallon rubbermaid tub and fill it with water. Then place an aquarium heater in there and fine tune it to get the temps stable with the lid on. Put the seeds on top of the lid. Works great for the planted seeds and seedlings, too, to get them amped up and strong. Use around 5k lux of cool white lighting to limit stretch and you're all set.

:tiphat:
Great info

01oct19
picture.php

picture.php

18oct19

I think about day 53

Last edited:

3snowboards

picture.php

I was having problems getting root action when i was at 72°f (22°c)

Raised temps to 80°f(26°c) things started going
Transplanted to 2gal pots 3 days ago. No transplant stress seen so i
Flipped them to12/12 yesterday
picture.php

3snowboards

Day 12
picture.php

Day 15

picture.php

Put numbers on them so i can have them in the same position each shot

Cleared out some lower suckers that werent going to reach canopy

Day 16